• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mongolia

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mongolia"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Aye.
    I've worked out that it's driveable from Moscow to UlanBator, but I need to know how easy it is to get around i.e. getting petrol, food, accomodation
    will it be feasible ?
    Would it be possible to get in and out in a day
    whats the border crossing like ?
    many English speakers ?

etc

Last winter some towns were snowed in for three months, when the temperature plunged to -70F and stayed there for weeks.

It's OK if you enjoy yak's milk and throat singing.

Have a good time

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Am I right in thinking these planes are unpressurised? the ones I went on you could still see the ground quite clearly! and we landed on snow, softest landings ever!
    They are pressurised. Ceiling is about 40,000ft. Although the safety record looks dire this is more to do with where they operate than inherent reliability issues.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I've been on a couple of those. One went up and down a lot, which was a bit un-nerving, but I suppose that's down to the pilot.

I enjoyed the lunch. A slice of bread and an apple. Could have been a potato I suppose.
    Am I right in thinking these planes are unpressurised? the ones I went on you could still see the ground quite clearly! and we landed on snow, softest landings ever!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I've made a few internals on TU-154's. Canvas luggage racks floppy seats, like a 60s dormobile with wings bolted on. Safety record is a bit iffy to say the least. The Russian ministry of aviation demanded their complete withdrawl recently. Doesn't seem to have stopped anybody flying them yet.
    Me too! You have to pee bent backwards too if you are over 6 foot, cos of the curve of the fuselage and were they put the toilet.

Re: TSE always get a local to buy the tix, otherwise you'll be subject to the 'Westerner Tax', I think mine cost about $70 business class, sharing a two berth with a chap who got off at Miass...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I've made a few internals on TU-154's. Canvas luggage racks floppy seats, like a 60s dormobile with wings bolted on. Safety record is a bit iffy to say the least. The Russian ministry of aviation demanded their complete withdrawl recently. Doesn't seem to have stopped anybody flying them yet.
    I've been on a couple of those. One went up and down a lot, which was a bit un-nerving, but I suppose that's down to the pilot.

I enjoyed the lunch. A slice of bread and an apple. Could have been a potato I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Having said that, the state of the Russian internal flights planes, take the train, take the train!!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Companies like Intrepid or Exodus have some trips specifically for the TSE. I have seen a lot more "upmarket" versions i.e. better trains (cox and kings or summat).

It's something I've wanted to do for years.
    Same here, but everyone who has done it seems say the same thing - most of the time it is boring.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Companies like Intrepid or Exodus have some trips specifically for the TSE. I have seen a lot more "upmarket" versions i.e. better trains (cox and kings or summat).

It's something I've wanted to do for years.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Isn't Mongolia now called Downs Syndrome-olia?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Cheers Stek,
    when were you there ? and where did you end up ?
    Twas October 2003, I was intending to go the whole nine days to Vladivostok, but got off in the Urals due to:

1. Meeting someone who eventually became the current mrs stek, or should I say the current unmarried partner of stek, before all the mail order bride stuff starts! And...

2. ...sheer boredom. Was then gonna fly back to Moscow and I did, but not before hanging around 'na Uralye' for a while.

Having said that, the state of the Russian internal flights planes, take the train, take the train!!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Aye.
    I've worked out that it's driveable from Moscow to UlanBator, but I need to know how easy it is to get around i.e. getting petrol, food, accommodation

Flat mate upstairs did the TSE. Bring lots of dry food with you she said, hot water on tap. The food obviously varies the further east you travel.

Now don't fill your suitcase with pot noodles.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I've been on the Trans Siberian 'Express', if you can call 40mph 'express'....

It was well boring after the first 40 minutes after we cleared Moscow. And go Business class, not 'plaskartniy', or you will be sleeping on shelf in carriage with 56 other people...

And never drive in Russia! There's no road tax in Russia, so the roads are well rank, puddle or huge pothole? Who knows till it's too late!

My mate went on it to Mongolia, they changed the train bogies on the border....
    Cheers Stek,
    when were you there ? and where did you end up ?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I've been on the Trans Siberian 'Express', if you can call 40mph 'express'....

It was well boring after the first 40 minutes after we cleared Moscow. And go Business class, not 'plaskartniy', or you will be sleeping on shelf in carriage with 56 other people...

And never drive in Russia! There's no road tax in Russia, so the roads are well rank, puddle or huge pothole? Who knows till it's too late!

My mate went on it to Mongolia, they changed the train bogies on the border....

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Didn't Charlie whatshisface and Obi Wan Kenobi do it on motorbikes as part of their 'long way round' trip? IIRC it wasn't exactly an easy ride.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    You can take the Trans Siberian Express from Moscow to Ulan Bator
    Aye.
    I've worked out that it's driveable from Moscow to UlanBator, but I need to know how easy it is to get around i.e. getting petrol, food, accomodation
    will it be feasible ?
    Would it be possible to get in and out in a day
    whats the border crossing like ?
    many English speakers ?

etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X