• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Your home town

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Your home town"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Imagine if you lived in Dodge city, and there was a barroom brawl, you wouldnt be able to say 'its like Dodge here', because it already is. if you see what I mean

yawn. bored

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    James Mason wasn't too enamoured with his home town if memory serves...

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    In my little town -
    I never meant nothing

I was just my fathers son

Saving my money

Dreaming of glory

Twitching like a finger
    On the trigger of a gun

Leaving nothing but the dead and dying
    Back in my little town

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I can't stand the place where I grew up (Parsons Green, Fulham). It's full of horrible stuck up yuppie types paying stupid money to live in a shoe box. Aweful aweful place..
    Tell us about the quality of the local educational establishments...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    McTavishes Kitchen. wow. what a memory

and Mary the chambermaid, from the hotel across the bay.

thanks for the crabs btw Mary

Dad?!? Is that you?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I can't stand the place where I grew up (Parsons Green, Fulham). It's full of horrible stuck up yuppie types paying stupid money to live in a shoe box. Aweful aweful place..

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

What about your own home towns? Still live there, get teary eye thinking about the place or would you rather the bulldozers moved in?
    I moved around a lot when young. but spent from 5y/o to 17y/o in a tiny hamlet in northern canada. I reckon it kept me outta trouble because everyone knew everyone else, so crime was pretty low. It was surrounded by native reserves however which had its social effects - mucho drunkeness.

After that I've never lived anywhere more than 10years. I'm already now planning where to move next. The wife wants Madeira, I'd like to go to Calgary, Canada.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'd have thought McTavish's in Oban would've been more suitable for Troll...
    McTavishes Kitchen. wow. what a memory

and Mary the chambermaid, from the hotel across the bay.

thanks for the crabs btw Mary

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I visited there on a few occasions with English Army mates of mine. Even drank in Rabbies with them. None of them got picked on.
    I expect in your case the fight started simply due to your innate twuntishness. With your outlook I expect getting your head kicked in is never much further away than a gormless mouth opening. Could happen anywhere, probably does.

I'd have thought McTavish's in Oban would've been more suitable for Troll...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Ah Ayr.

Got into a fight in Rabbies bar for the crime of being English...it must have been the accent.
    I visited there on a few occasions with English Army mates of mine. Even drank in Rabbies with them. None of them got picked on.
    I expect in your case the fight started simply due to your innate twuntishness. With your outlook I expect getting your head kicked in is never much further away than a gormless mouth opening. Could happen anywhere, probably does.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Weee doyn't be loikin dem toooorists roynd deez 'ere paaaarts.......
    When I worked in Maine the most common bumper sticker I saw on cars was;

'Welcome to Maine. Now spend your money and **** off'

The second most common was;

'Welcome to Maine. If you're lucky you'll catch lobster, if you're unlucky you'll catch crabs'

I found it quite a friendly place

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Yorkshire. Yorktulipe. Just spend a week up there. Most unfriendly people in the Country. If you don't want tourists, don't open tea rooms FFS.

Weee doyn't be loikin dem toooorists roynd deez 'ere paaaarts.......

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I have a problem defining what my "home town" is.

Yorkshire will always be my home, even though I'm not from Yorkshire and now live in Lancashire.
    Yorkshire. Yorkshit:e. Just spend a week up there. Most unfriendly people in the Country. If you don't want tourists, don't open tea rooms FFS.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Don't think Gwent had been thought of in 1963 mate It was County Monmouth Hospital.
    OK Fair point. didnt know it was called that though.

Only recent resident of Zooport me. Blessed with being born and bred in the valleys.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Best of both worlds then really!

Llanmartin, unfortunately, counts as Zooport. Unless you were born at home I'd guess you were born at the Royal Gwent though.
    Don't think Gwent had been thought of in 1963 mate It was County Monmouth Hospital.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X