• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would you let your kids watch?"

Collapse

• v8gaz
    replied
    not movies, but my lad (12) download an add-on pack for CoD that was extremely sweary. When I suggested that it wasn't suitable, he replied, without looking up "it's nothing I haven't heard in this house'.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I was however, not allowed to watch the A-Team. Too many guns = too violent.
    Despite it having zero deaths. Pure kids entertainment.

Along with Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, Street Hawk, and Airwolf. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Me and my brother were allowed guns from a very early age. Even if they were only bits of wood and you had to provide the sound effects yourself.

I remember going to see A Bridge Too Far at the cinema. Only found out later after he'd died that my grandad was in the 1st Airborne division involved in the Arnhem fiasco. He never mentioned a word while alive, it must have been bad.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Carrie terrified me, I watched it at a friends house when I was 12, about 8 pre-teen girls having a sleep over and scaring the crap out of each other.
    I remember Carrie having a rather different effect when I was a 12 year old boy.

The invisible "Monster from the Id" in Forbidden Planet scared me. I also remember a bit of a sleepless night after seeing Jurassic Park, despite being in my 20s.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    My 8 year old won't watch Dr Who, Merlin or anything after Harry Potter 3.
    She also looks at the ratings of films and refuses to watch anything other than a PG or U as she believes that it will scare her.

whilst she loves Harry Potter I wouldn't let her watch the last couple yet.
    Yep, it's a shame they've got darker. But I've let her watch them though - and yep, I explain that things aren't real.

Although I threatened to send her to hogwarts last week if she didn't behave.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    My 8 year old won't watch Dr Who, Merlin or anything after Harry Potter 3.
    She also looks at the ratings of films and refuses to watch anything other than a PG or U as she believes that it will scare her.

whilst she loves Harry Potter I wouldn't let her watch the last couple yet.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    My parents 'let' me watch the following before I was 10.

Jaws (They even took me to the cinema when I was ~7. I felt sick half way through but managed not to puke up my cola and popcorn.)

As a kid I was encouraged to watch Jaws, Jaws 2 and Alien, all of which scared the living tulip out of me

I was however, not allowed to watch the A-Team. Too many guns = too violent.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    He's banned now, it's safe to come out.
    That would never have happened under the Tories

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Star Trek, The Wrath of Khan scared the tulip out of me. When the put those thingys in their helmets and they went in their ears. Gave me nightmares for yonks and I still have a phobia about things being near my ears

Carrie terrified me, I watched it at a friends house when I was 12, about 8 pre-teen girls having a sleep over and scaring the crap out of each other.

And I used to think Darth Vader lived under our stairs.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I watched some Dr Who epsidoe when I was small about some big maggoty thing and had nightmares for a couple of days, was fine then.

Explain to her that things are or aren't real etc..

Leave a comment:

• LottoPlayer
    replied
    Hi all

I've got 3 boys, 13, 9 and 6. The middle one watched Gremlins when he was 4 and had nightmares till he was 7. The youngest can watch pretty much anything and doesn't seem to be bothered by anything scary at all.

The oldest is a total space cadet so who knows what goes on in his tiny mind!

I do remember watching the first Poltergeist when I was very young with my older cousin, and that freaked me out for a few years! I stopped sleeping with the light on when I turned 30 though...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    My parents 'let' me watch the following before I was 10.

Jaws (They even took me to the cinema when I was ~7. I felt sick half way through but managed not to puke up my cola and popcorn.)

Zombie Flesh Eaters (walked in the room one eveing as they were watching it, just as a load of zombies were tucking into some intestines )

Cannibal Holocaust (me and a mate watched it one weekend after my parents left it in the VCR. I vividly remember the turtle butchering scene. )

Though as I've yet to go on a mad murderous rampage maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    All children are different - they don't come with a user guide.

The fact that you're thinking about the issue and actually watching things with her is a plus imo. You're there to bolster his/her confidence, give protection if needed and answer questions.

It's not as if you're dumping your kid in front of the unpaid babysitter watching "SS Experiment Camp"!

As you were Corporal, looks like you're doing a great job.

All in my opinion of course.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Think it depends on how sensitive the child is.

Oldest had nightmares for years after watching Jurassic park. We had to check his cupboard for velociraptors on a regular basis. Others never had a problem with anything.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    What about nature documentaries like the David Attenborough stuff? My son loves all of that and he's 5.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    E.T. is fine, but I think that the later Harry Potter films are a bit too old for a six year old.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X