• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Reliving my youth

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reliving my youth"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    And the pilot ejects at 18 seconds.

edit: I went with a R/C tank from Maplin.....for my son you understand.........
    Next time buy a Tamiya kit and build it with your "son" - much more fun and quality time - imo.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I would recommend a radio controlled model hovercraft.
    I brought mine into work and "flew" it on the lake outside the office. It sank, much to the amusement of all those watching..
    Why did it sink?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Think I've posted this before but I recommend a Parrot AR Drone.

Loads of fun.

AR.Drone Outdoor Flight - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    [QUOTE=stek;1416420
    This one's better! Cracking flames!

[/QUOTE]

And the pilot ejects at 18 seconds.

edit: I went with a R/C tank from Maplin.....for my son you understand.........

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Every time I've been benched I've had a hankering for learning to fly something RC but at the time I can never justify the cost and when I'm working I don't have the time.

I've come to the conclusion that an RC flight sim like Realflight or Phoenix would be a good place to start, anyone here used these?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I would recommend a radio controlled model hovercraft.
    I brought mine into work and "flew" it on the lake outside the office. It sank, much to the amusement of all those watching..

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I would love to relive my youth. Unfortunately, at nearly 48, I don't think waist length hair, being out of my tits on acid and shagging fat birds is still within my capabilities.

Might buy a RC plane though

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Rubbish, it didn't crash! And the undercarriage stayed down!

This one's better! Cracking flames!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Last edited by Paddy; 26 October 2011, 18:04.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes, I've been wondering about that because they aren't much more expensive but most of the websites I've looked at seem to think the fixed pitch ones are easier to learn on. I'm not sure if that's just because it costs less when you crash them or if they're actually easier to fly.
    Unfortunately it's a yes and no answer I'm going to give you.

On a fixed pitch Heli, yes it is easier to learn but... You are dependent on the increase and decrease of rotor rpm to gain and lose altitude. This increase and decrease in rpm takes time. Although the rotor-head and rotors are very light in a micro and have little mass there is still a lag in response.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If you do get yourself an electric-heli try and stretch to one with a collective control. Give you some practice for when you get a bigger nitro-powered one...
    Yes, I've been wondering about that because they aren't much more expensive but most of the websites I've looked at seem to think the fixed pitch ones are easier to learn on. I'm not sure if that's just because it costs less when you crash them or if they're actually easier to fly.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Silverlit I/R Spy Cam (3 Channels) SI84520

You can fit cameras to the bigger ones as well. They aren't especially quiet though.
    Slightest gust of wind is going to feck that!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Blue Thunder to come out. Then I could use whisper mode and the camera to get some choice vids of the fit neighbours buffing their muff.

Maybe that's why they haven't done one yet.
    Silverlit I/R Spy Cam (3 Channels) SI84520

You can fit cameras to the bigger ones as well. They aren't especially quiet though.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Yes, I wouldn't go for a pre built one. The building and tinkering is half the fun, and I'd want to choose my own electrics as well. I used to race when I was younger and I would want something roughly equivalent so that I could go racing again. I think it would be good to do with my son as well.

I still have the one I used to race, it should run fine if I get a new battery pack and charger but it needs a few replacement parts, the motor needs a proper rebuild and at some point the standard size of wheels and tires changed so it might be hard to find suitable rubber for racing. I do have quite a lot of bits on my ebay watch list though

I had one of the cheap indoor helicopters, it was fun but the brushed motor needed replacing after 20 goes or so, so I was thinking of getting something with a proper radio control (most of the cheaper ones use infra red) and spares available so that it can be rebuilt / upgraded i.e. one of the align or e-flite ones. It would have to be indoor sized though, which I've heard are harder to learn on because they are less stable.

Blade mSR RTF (EFLH3000): Blade - #1 By Design

TREX 100S Super Combo Kit KX022005 - Helicopter Kits Align T-Rex 100 - ALIGN-TREX.co.uk
    If you do get yourself an electric-heli try and stretch to one with a collective control. Give you some practice for when you get a bigger nitro-powered one...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Car and build it yourself - get into practice for replacing parts you bend/break.
    Yes, I wouldn't go for a pre built one. The building and tinkering is half the fun, and I'd want to choose my own electrics as well. I used to race when I was younger and I would want something roughly equivalent so that I could go racing again. I think it would be good to do with my son as well.

I still have the one I used to race, it should run fine if I get a new battery pack and charger but it needs a few replacement parts, the motor needs a proper rebuild and at some point the standard size of wheels and tires changed so it might be hard to find suitable rubber for racing. I do have quite a lot of bits on my ebay watch list though

I had one of the cheap indoor helicopters, it was fun but the brushed motor needed replacing after 20 goes or so, so I was thinking of getting something with a proper radio control (most of the cheaper ones use infra red) and spares available so that it can be rebuilt / upgraded i.e. one of the align or e-flite ones. It would have to be indoor sized though, which I've heard are harder to learn on because they are less stable.

Blade mSR RTF (EFLH3000): Blade - #1 By Design

TREX 100S Super Combo Kit KX022005 - Helicopter Kits Align T-Rex 100 - ALIGN-TREX.co.uk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X