• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scotlands 40 Billion Financial Black Hole"

Collapse

• Waldorf
    replied
    What about the bank bailouts?

Most of the money for this went to Scottish banks, Royal Bank of Scotland and Bank of Scotland - I doubt an independent Scotland could have afforded to do this, so as we helped out them on the banks, I think we can call it quits on the oil issue.

I just googled the cost at I see the potential cost could be £850 BILLION, whilst I agree that the actual bailout will be less than this, it will still be a substantial sum.

I would vote for letting Scotland go, perhaps at the same time we could pullout of the EU and Scotland can have our place?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You really are very stupid indeed. Your arguments completely lack coherence and you are borderline illiterate.
    Let me guess, you were bullied at school.

Listen, it's not your fault.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Well of course it does!!!

bla bla nice pictures etc
    Oi! Will you stop telling people that Scotland's a nice place! I have friends and family there and none of them would want you to attract the wrong sorts to venture their way.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    And then what would happen - They'd be in league with the EU against the English, a constant threat right on our back door, as they were for century after century ever since King Malcolm decided to cosy up to the Normans in the 1000s.

edit: Or was it King Duncan? I'm a bit hazy about their names and dates.
    Not much of a threat these days.

I remember the English also had cause to respect Scotland's football team once.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

If England (Kent, East / South London etc) keeps importing people the butter is going to spread more thinly. You cannot be bitter about what appears to be preferential treatment when your own polices fail you.

65 million people in England < 5 million in Scotland. Slash the population in England and watch funding shot up per head in England. You cannot have equality with such a bias on the scale, little wonder the NHS in England near collapse.

Honestly, mutton brains and daily mail readers, remove their voting privileges forthwith!
    You really are very stupid indeed. Your arguments completely lack coherence and you are borderline illiterate.
    Let me guess, ex-poly educated under Labour?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    I can search and find figures showing how Scotland receives more social funding per head on adults and minors than other countries in the united kingdom if you like?

If England (Kent, East / South London etc) keeps importing people the butter is going to spread more thinly. You cannot be bitter about what appears to be preferential treatment when your own polices fail you.

65 million people in England < 5 million in Scotland. Slash the population in England and watch funding shot up per head in England. You cannot have equality with such a bias on the scale, little wonder the NHS in England near collapse.

Honestly, mutton brains and daily mail readers, remove their voting privileges forthwith!

Some pictures of Edinburgh for you:

Last edited by scooterscot; 26 October 2011, 15:45.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    I don't mind Scotland becoming independent as long as they take NE England with them as well (from York upwards).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Let the Scots go.
    It's a failed state anyway with the lowest life expectancy and one of the highest public sector employment rates in Europe.
    Very little industry comes out of Scotland that wasn't put there in a government incentive scheme.
    And then what would happen - They'd be in league with the EU against the English, a constant threat right on our back door, as they were for century after century ever since King Malcolm decided to cosy up to the Normans in the 1000s.

edit: Or was it King Duncan? I'm a bit hazy about their names and dates.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 26 October 2011, 14:57.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Brad Pitt was here earlier to film a movie. (About zombies)
    Plenty of those in Glasgae, they have a special name, "weegies"!

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    George Square would be ok if it weren't plastered with chewing-gum.
    Brad Pitt was here earlier to film a movie. (About zombies)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Just googled it, meant georger square, the main square with the city hall in. That is the only part of glasgow I liked:

Lol, i'll take your word on edinburgh. Havent been there before, but it doesnt look too bad in pics. But pictures can be deceptive
    George Square would be ok if it weren't plastered with chewing-gum.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    You must have been in edinburgh then. Now that IS a sh!t hole !!
    Just googled it, meant georger square, the main square with the city hall in. That is the only part of glasgow I liked:

Lol, i'll take your word on edinburgh. Havent been there before, but it doesnt look too bad in pics. But pictures can be deceptive

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Surely, the Shetlands (and therefore the oil) belong to Denmark?

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Technically it isnt wrong, but I acknowledge I could have put it more diplomatically ....

They are rational so please feel free to debate them. I can search and find figures showing how Scotland receives more social funding per head on adults and minors than other countries in the united kingdom if you like?

Anyway you liked glasgow? Im genuinly asking as I find that surprising. I found it very run down. Even pulling in to the train station, made me feel like a bear in a former soviet country. I found it very dirty/smoggy/hazy as well. The square (st andrews or whatever, IIRC?) is quite nice, but the rest just depressed me beyond belief. I dont mean offense by that, just the honest way I felt there ....

I enjoyed london more which is quite odd as in london; if you even say hello to someone or treat them as a human, they look at you like a scared deer or as if you've made some horribly inappropriate remark.
    You must have been in edinburgh then. Now that IS a sh!t hole !!

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I note with interest that you didn't tell him he's wrong...
    Technically it isnt wrong, but I acknowledge I could have put it more diplomatically ....

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I don't see the point of arguing; it's not as if the statements are rational enough to deserve that. For the record though, personally I see Scottish people just as anyone else and treat them as they treat me, which is generally fine. I quite like Glasgow too (parts of it).
    They are rational so please feel free to debate them. I can search and find figures showing how Scotland receives more social funding per head on adults and minors than other countries in the united kingdom if you like?

Anyway you liked glasgow? Im genuinly asking as I find that surprising. I found it very run down. Even pulling in to the train station, made me feel like a bear in a former soviet country. I found it very dirty/smoggy/hazy as well. The square (st andrews or whatever, IIRC?) is quite nice, but the rest just depressed me beyond belief. I dont mean offense by that, just the honest way I felt there ....

I enjoyed london more which is quite odd as in london; if you even say hello to someone or treat them as a human, they look at you like a scared deer or as if you've made some horribly inappropriate remark.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X