• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "QE fooks you over, warns utter cretin at the helm"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.

Some people, eager for money - have pierced themselves with many griefs.

Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have.

Because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    About 20% of our national debt is inflation linked

The rest is on the government's credit card at 29% APR now the 0% period has expired.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Not sure how inflation affects national debt. Wouldn't surprise me if the clowns in charge have the debt linked to inflation so it's worse off too.
    About 20% of our national debt is inflation linked

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Why? Is the UK planning to switch to US currency?

Hmm, might work.
    Well, at least it will stop people spending a penny on tramps.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's only Fair.

You wouldn't want the poor dears to miss their bonuses, now would you?
    Not at all as long as they then **** off and leave us all alone. Here in Holland and in other places failing directors and bankers are often paid an 'oprotpremie', translation ' piss off premium'; it's a big bonus to get the hell out, usually more than enough for most people to retire comfortably. The guy who's made a big mess of HP just got a 'piss off premium' of 14 million dollars, after he'd already got a few million from SAP for almost destroying their business. My only complaint about this practise is that the recipients don't tend to 'piss off' after recieving their failure bonus, but move on to some other place they can destroy.

If someone were to give me a 'piss off premium' of 14 million dollars I'd get the message, piss off and never pollute the workplace with my presence again. What's so hard about that?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The government are bankers is so true.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It does make you wonder how sustainable base rate + some small amount interest rate mortgages are, when the banks receive interest payments being eroded at 5% a year (or more likely 10%-20%).
    Oh good, so we get to rescue the banks again? That'll be nice.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Is everyone getting > 5% pay awards then? Otherwise, how does having less money to pay your debts as the cost of living is rising help the debtors or the lenders?

Answers on a postcard please...
    It does make you wonder how sustainable base rate + some small amount interest rate mortgages are, when the banks receive interest payments being eroded at 5% a year (or more likely 10%-20%).

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Is everyone getting > 5% pay awards then? Otherwise, how does having less money to pay your debts as the cost of living is rising help the debtors or the lenders?

Theoretically price inflation might very well lead to wage inflation.

But then it might not, in which case DOOOOOOM!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is a bit of inflation really a bad thing in hte short term given the levels of personal and national debt?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is a bit of inflation really a bad thing in hte short term given the levels of personal and national debt?
    My understanding is that inflation doesn't help erode personal debt unless you're also experiencing correlating wage inflation, which as yet isn't happening for most people.

So you are worse off, as the debt holds the same value against your ability to pay it yet other stuff is also more expensive due to the inflation.

Not sure how inflation affects national debt. Wouldn't surprise me if the clowns in charge have the debt linked to inflation so it's worse off too.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You ain't seen nothing yet.

Learn the words to "Buddy can you spare a dime".
    Why? Is the UK planning to switch to US currency?

Hmm, might work.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Quite. I bet the Greeks wish they could have a bit more inflation.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

He's still worried about inflation getting too low.
    Looking at the graph of inflation over the last four years, that doesn't seem very likely.

Apart from that spike in 2008 and identical sized and shaped dip the following year, you can put your pencil through the underlying trend, which is relentlessly upward. It will obviously be at least 4% next year, at the time they're now claiming it will have fallen sharply.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X