• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rugby World Cup: Do fans support their own hemisphere?"

Collapse

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
    AllBlacks if they are there, Frogs if the Aussies are there. Although support is a bit strong - I would prefer the Blacks to win but always enjoy the Frogs when they have their "one glorious game".
    Trouble is as Wales are playing pretty well the Frogs will have their OGG against them and be tulip in the final.

PS - I would welcome a Wales win but that wasn't your question
    Well they certainly didn't have OGG today - so possibly the final???

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    margaret Thatcher is also supporting Wales
    Figures. The evil old witch is as mad as a bag full of badgers these days. Only a matter of time before POTG day.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    She always has done; after all she helped them to reorganise that loss making coal industry they were lumbered with in the past.
    She saved the rest of us from having to support the mining industry

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when Wales were great. JPR, JJ, Mervyn, Gareth Edwards, the Pontypool front row, the King.

It seemed the normal way of things when I grew up. I was pleased they had a revival recently with a couple of grand slams, so aside from anything else I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic.
    For years Wales got the wooden spoon so when the revival started (I first became aware during the 2003 World Cup) it was very welcome

Similar to being pleased that Italy are improving each season - no one likes to see a team constantly hammered - much more exciting if it is a closely contested match

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I'm old enough to remember when Wales were great. JPR, JJ, Mervyn, Gareth Edwards, the Pontypool front row, the King.

It seemed the normal way of things when I grew up. I was pleased they had a revival recently with a couple of grand slams, so aside from anything else I suppose I'm a bit nostalgic.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    "There hasn't been any great shift in English attitudes to Wales," insisted Dr Johnes, author of a history of Welsh sport. "It's a combination of following the underdog and a fellow British team.

"It's no different to them supporting (Scottish tennis player) Andy Murray."
    Hmm... might have gone a step too far in that statement

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    She always has done; after all she helped them to reorganise that loss making coal industry they were lumbered with in the past.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I'll be supporting Wales on the basis that its a part of England. The natives will be insufferable if they get to the final.

Australia are my Anyone But team.

I suppose France winning is the least painful option. They Can be as smug as they like and I won't understand more than the odd word.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    There was a piece on the BBC web site saying how the Welsh were amazed at the support they are getting from the English.
    Same report suggested it would not be reciprocated were the boot on the other foot and suggested the same would be true of Scotland or Ireland.
    I'm English and supporting Wales at the moment. To be honest I was kind of supporting them even before England went out because England were really no fun at all to watch in this world cup. With rugby it's more about enjoying watching good teams and good games, and if your own country's team is dull and useless then why worry about them, just go and watch someone else. There are plenty of times when England do play exciting rugby and I get all excited when they win, but this tournament has not been one of those times. Wales have done everything to deserve the support they are getting and I'd love to see them in the final. Whether they stand a chance of winning the whole thing is another question.

Edit: Here's that article you mentioned. Hadn't read it before.
    Last edited by dang65; 13 October 2011, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Out of the Bum F*ckers, the Surrender Monkeys, the Sheep Shaggers and the Kangaroo Molesters I'll be cheering for the Kangaroo Molesters.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I'll be supporting Wales on the basis that its a part of England. The natives will be insufferable if they get to the final.

Australia are my Anyone But team.

I suppose France winning is the least painful option. They Can be as smug as they like and I won't understand more than the odd word.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I will be in France at the time but I shall be remaining neutral. In general rugby is quite a fair sport in that the best team usually wins so I think that's reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Goes without saying. He's French.

Stade Francais... say no more

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Indeed - I don't think there are any "ABW" T shirts on sale in England
    Something to do with an absence of a chip upon ones person south of the border

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    I am English and feel no "support" for any other side.
    I always tend to hope for a home nations win as I am also British.
    There was a piece on the BBC web site saying how the Welsh were amazed at the support they are getting from the English.
    Indeed - I don't think there are any "ABW" T shirts on sale in England

Leave a comment:

Working...
X