• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Green taxes to drive households into Fuel Poverty"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    another beauty today

Maurice Strong, senior advisor to Kofi Annan, U.N. Secretary-General who chaired the gigantic (40,000 participants) “U.N. Conference on Environment and Development” in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 , who was responsible for putting together the Kyoto Protocol with thousands of bureaucrats, diplomats, and politicians, stated: “We may get to the point where the only way of saving the world will be for industrial civilization to collapse. Isn’t it our job to bring that about?”
    Splendid!

Let's all go back to the Dark Ages, and move to Wales.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    another beauty today

Maurice Strong, senior advisor to Kofi Annan, U.N. Secretary-General who chaired the gigantic (40,000 participants) “U.N. Conference on Environment and Development” in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 , who was responsible for putting together the Kyoto Protocol with thousands of bureaucrats, diplomats, and politicians, stated: “We may get to the point where the only way of saving the world will be for industrial civilization to collapse. Isn’t it our job to bring that about?”

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Do I get 20%?
    only on the nanohydra-solar-windmill-waterwheel-slavedriven model

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Do I get 20%?
    Only if you can get ground source thermal pump in there somehow...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    a nanohydra-solar-windmill-waterwheel

Do I get 20%?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    What happens when it is not raining?. Should we (CUK) not all work together and prepare a product and business plan and present it to Dragons Den?
    a nanohydra-solar-windmill-waterwheel

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Is it not a good idea then?
    What happens when it is not raining?. Should we (CUK) not all work together and prepare a product and business plan and present it to Dragons Den?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Sounds like he'd be better off getting rid of the solar panels and putting up a system where electricity is generated from the mechanical energy of birds landing on spring loaded panels.

Has the added bonus of the spring recoil punting the birds off the roof freeing up space for the next ones coming in to land.

[Off to patent a bird table leccy generator that also stops fat birds from eating all the food. ]
    I once designed a panel that captured the kinetic energy from falling bird plops. It produced enough power in a year to fire up my 'kung foo hamster' for six and a half minutes.
    do a google for 'EO's arseolar panels'

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Sounds like he'd be better off getting rid of the solar panels and putting up a system where electricity is generated from the mechanical energy of birds landing on spring loaded panels.

Has the added bonus of the spring recoil punting the birds off the roof freeing up space for the next ones coming in to land.

[Off to patent a bird table leccy generator that also stops fat birds from eating all the food. ]
    It already exists, it's called Weight Watchers!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I think the downpipe idea is nanohydro rather than microhydro, which is, in essence, a waterwheel in a stream.

Is it not a good idea then?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    There are also a few tall trees next to his house where zillions of birds roost.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Microhydro is much more sensible than all those fecking useless windmills.

Indeed. Why no-one has come up with a system to generate electricity from gutter downpipes is a mystery to me, considering all the rainfall we get.

It should be possible to have many sequential mini-waterwheels in the downpipe as gravity ensures the water gains energy after each wheel so more to harvest.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    The first series of "It's not easy being green" with the marvellously moustachioed one illustrated this rather well, though I doubt that his water wheel was stunningly efficient.
    Ironically, his water wheel was one of the most efficient devices which actually powered all of his lights in his house. He's selling up now for about 800k, cheeky bastard.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    You cannot rely on the grids any more to supply affordable & if they go the wind power route dependable electricity.

So your only option is to detach from the Grid and generate your own supply- until we get micro thorium reactors available or hydrogen from water crackers for your backyard- the only viable solutions is a mix of solar for power & heating and micro wind turbine if the wind actually blows
    I don't live by the sea so wave power is not an option - although if I find one for sale locally I may consider a watermill

We've been looking for an old Barn with some land, and a stream running through it, near the coast, for a while now. As you can imagine, it's not proving that easy. I mentioned a book earlier, and I think the consensus is, not using one, or two, but using as many renewable options as you can.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    I am still wondering why people are so into Solar power, in this country, as the more you think about it, pushing wind power, wave power forward would seem the way to go if the weather's going to go tits up
    You cannot rely on the grids any more to supply affordable & if they go the wind power route dependable electricity.

So your only option is to detach from the Grid and generate your own supply- until we get micro thorium reactors available or hydrogen from water crackers for your backyard- the only viable solutions is a mix of solar for power & heating and micro wind turbine if the wind actually blows
    I don't live by the sea so wave power is not an option - although if I find one for sale locally I may consider a watermill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X