• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone been watching A New Life Down Under?"

Collapse

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Gorillas?

Ohhh, you meant "midst"
    Now that was a face palm, enjoying making shaunnyboy look more stupid...

Never mind, I am sure he'll be along soon with a smiley

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
    No, not directed at me shaunnyboy, just the last bastion of the inherently, geneologiclaly challenged, knuckle dragging cousins in our mist
    Try just using one hoof to type with. And clear some of the froth from the keyboard too.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    No, not directed at me shaunnyboy, just the last bastion of the inherently, geneologiclaly challenged, knuckle dragging cousins in our mist
    Gorillas?

Ohhh, you meant "midst"

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    For clarity, laughing at YOU, and including the smilies because they clearly irk you so much.
    And keeping the level of insult to an altitude that won't pass too far over your sloping, heavily-pronounced forehead.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Laughing at yourself Shaunnyboy and dragging that 'oh now you must be a lollipop man' straight from your sachel.
    For clarity, laughing at YOU, and including the smilies because they clearly irk you so much.
    And keeping the level of insult to an altitude that won't pass too far over your sloping, heavily-pronounced forehead.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Who'd have thought that Australia would finally embrace the whole Lollipop Man/Woman thing quite so heartily?
    Go on ZM, take the plunge. The place is already full of weird mammals anyway, one more won't make any odds.

Laughing at yourself Shaunnyboy and dragging that 'oh now you must be a lollipop man' straight from your sachel.

Honestly son, I fear for your offspring if you are the 1 in 10,000 swimmers that got through

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    we keep going back, thinking of having a stab at living there, especially given my 'skillset' is heavily invested in there.
    Who'd have thought that Australia would finally embrace the whole Lollipop Man/Woman thing quite so heartily?
    Go on ZM, take the plunge. The place is already full of weird mammals anyway, one more won't make any odds.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Yeah but when it comes near to popping they just let a few more thousand skilled migrants in to prop up demand. Since in the metro areas there is limited building going on and limited space - prices keep going up.

To avoid massive tax here you have to have an investment property. Most people do -even people of less than average income. This further props up the market.

In the nice areas - prices keep going up. There is a lot of money in Sydney - you wanna see how some people live here. It's unbelievable (not me - I live like Rigsby).
    I've seen it aussie, we keep going back, thinking of having a stab at living there, especially given my 'skillset' is heavily invested in there. But having nearly got completely out of property here, but still nervously holding one property that will not sell, I am a tad concerned about diving into the market there again.

Bit of a worry really

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    I, personally, think the Aus property market is a bigger bubble that te UK one, and I think the UK one is shedded.
    Yeah but when it comes near to popping they just let a few more thousand skilled migrants in to prop up demand. Since in the metro areas there is limited building going on and limited space - prices keep going up.

To avoid massive tax here you have to have an investment property. Most people do -even people of less than average income. This further props up the market.

In the nice areas - prices keep going up. There is a lot of money in Sydney - you wanna see how some people live here. It's unbelievable (not me - I live like Rigsby).

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    The point is its not about Melb or Syd its that $600k can get you a decent place to live, depending on where you choose.
    Me and Mrs Zoider have residency, and planned to live over there. Our preferred area is the sunshine coast, just north of Brissy, or south of the border towards Lismore. $A600k buys you not an awful lot out that way. We bought a place just north of Cairns in the late 90's. Kewarra Beach. It cost $A180k. we recently sold it for $A500k. That's aplace with, pretty much, nothing going for it, but a beach and near to an airport. No work, of sorts and it's on an estate.

I, personally, think the Aus property market is a bigger bubble that te UK one, and I think the UK one is shedded.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    I am in Melbourne.

Less than an hour commute will get you a 3 bed detached property for that money.

You will get more in a less desirable region with the same or shorter commute.

I am in testing BTW.
    Yeah, an hour commute from sydney city centre you will get a decent house for 600k too. No way would I do that sort of commute. That puts you into places that are no different to the UK. You go 1 hour west of Sydney, you could be in Milton Keynes.

You gotta be living it up or its pointless coming here. In those desirable spots you need at least $1.5M to get a decent place.

This is more like it:
    http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo...did=2009267324

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    The point is its not about Melb or Syd its that $600k can get you a decent place to live, depending on where you choose.

I get that, as ever it were, it's a bit like Marmite. I prefer Sydney,

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    So you can't generalise on prices then.

Sydney is way expensive as are parts of Melbourne. Personally I would not want to live in Sydney, I prefer it here.
    I get that, as ever it were, it's a bit like Marmite. I prefer Sydney, and having lived in both, that's just my preference, and I have friends who chose Melbourne and don't like Sydney.

However, whilst there are, of course, expensive parts to Melbourne, in my experience, Sydney is more expensive. You don't get within 30-45 mins of the CBD and pay less than $500klike you can in Melbourne. Jeez, 30 mins from Melbourne and you can be in upper woop woop

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    So you can't generalise on prices then and my original point stands.

Sydney is way expensive as are parts of Melbourne. Personally I would not want to live in Sydney, I prefer it here.

But you'd still be in Melbourne, and, as much as I liek it, it isn't Sydney which, well, Sydney rocks. But, is ferociously expensive.

That Flat is in Balmain, which used to be Tulip in the 80's. Sydney really is building up a nice head of steam ready to pop, it has to be.

Leave a comment:

• Zoiderman
    replied
    I am in Melbourne.

Less than an hour commute will get you a 3 bed detached property for that money.

You will get more in a less desirable region with the same or shorter commute.

I am in testing BTW.
    But you'd still be in Melbourne, and, as much as I liek it, it isn't Sydney which, well, Sydney rocks. But, is ferociously expensive.

That Flat is in Balmain, which used to be Tulip in the 80's. Sydney really is building up a nice head of steam ready to pop, it has to be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X