• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BA trying to act like my manager"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Now Spacecadet give me some +rep and then make me a cup of coffee.
    I'll make you a coffee... a nice hot coffee

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    WSCS.

You need to take the bull by the horns.

Now Spacecadet give me some +rep and then make me a cup of coffee.

Chop to it!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by cybersquatter View Post
    Then later on I hear him say to the project manager "I've given cybersquatter the task of building this matrix". Errrr what? No mate, you're supporting me in getting the information from the business, not directing me and giving me tasks, and in any case, the matrix is something I'm building of my own volition to make both of our lives easier.
    The problem here is that you let him speak to the PM first.
    If you had got in there earlier you could have given a better version of the truth and put the BA winker on the back foot.

The BA guy can only act like your manager if you let him. As cliched as it sounds, the only way to stop this guy is by grabbing the bull by the horns yourself and upping your game. Do it properly and there is no need to undermine him or use any devious tactics. Just take control of situations first and announce that you have done rather than reacting to his behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Hi all

Currently a permie, and yes I know this isn't Permie UK, but the problem may be of interest to others, and I'm sure the panel will have some interesting ideas on how to tackle it regardless.

I'm a dev team lead - one of several dev team leads working on the same large project. We've got a relatively new business analyst joined us, and I had my first meeting with him today. I need to work with him to get some information from the business.

He suggested this meeting as a way of finding out what support I need from him in getting the information I need - great, that the BA's job - to get the information from the business, and provide it to me.

I explained how I was structuring the spreadsheet that we would use to capture this information, and what my next steps would be in its construction (basically building a matrix to match up what we think the requirements are to a slightly different set that they recently provided).

Through the conversation, he started saying stuff like "could you please add another tab for blah blah blah", and then at the end of the conversation he said something like "if you could just carry on with building that matrix, that would be great". Talking like he's my boss or something, and talking as if the work I'd already said I was doing was some task he'd given to me.

Then later on I hear him say to the project manager "I've given cybersquatter the task of building this matrix". Errrr what? No mate, you're supporting me in getting the information from the business, not directing me and giving me tasks, and in any case, the matrix is something I'm building of my own volition to make both of our lives easier.

I feel like I need to nip this behaviour in the bud, or he's going to try and push me around again. I'm thinking of saying something next time like "Look mate, I just need your support in getting the information we need from the business, I don't need tasks or direction from you."

Or am I just being a permie prima donna?
    he's new so trying to carve out his space by the sounds of it, I'd file under ignore but no need to get funny with him. If he does chase you for it just reply politely that as it's essentially a document for you you will finish it when you make the time to finish it, you know your sorry but if it's something you need quickly you will have to knock up your own version... no point getting in conflict though as sounds like you'll have to work together...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Documents like your matrix should be versioned and authored and dated.

Make sure the version has your name, and a date from way back.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    The game has changed now this dude has arrived. He's busting aphas at you and you either have to step aside or step up.
    You think he's a failed accountant?

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    He is probably trying to position himself to actually be your boss. This kind of thing is not done by accident. It's politics.

If this really annoys you and you can't live with it then you have to crush him, or be crushed.
    You can do that with force, by waiting outside for him to leave work - and have a word with your nose one inch from his face. But that may be too harsh outside of the investment banking community. Or you could play him at his own game by spending half your day thinking up tactics to out manouevre him.

He'll be all over you before you know it if you're not careful.

The game has changed now this dude has arrived. He's busting aphas at you and you either have to step aside or step up.
    Last edited by aussielong; 23 September 2011, 00:33.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Simple. If he's the BA then it's his job to deliver the business requirements. Give him the spreadsheet and tell him this is the format you want them in and press him for a date when he's going to cough up the draft and signed off requirements.

BA's are usually people that the BAU Operations people don't want in their teams but who aren't up to the standards required to be in the technical community <ducks>.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Your point?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    when I came in dressed as a Pamela Anderson lookalike

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I have not checked, you?

btw which bank cashes GIRO cheques?
    I use the local pawnbrokers, he charges 5%. He's about 90 and slightly blind but I think after the 15th change of clothes when I came in dressed as a Pamela Anderson lookalike in a red swimming suit he reckoned someome may have been scamming him.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    is JobseekersAllowance.co.uk and LutonPikeys.co.uk available???
    I have not checked, you?

btw which bank cashes GIRO cheques?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    WMFS

I've now registered that domain, forum opening tomorrow noon
    is JobseekersAllowance.co.uk and LutonPikeys.co.uk available???

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Get used to it. If you were working with me you would be under no misconception that I was in charge, you were doing the matrix, making me tea and giving me a blow job if I decided that you had a purdy mouth. Your a perm, bow down to your contracting masters.
    WMFS

I've now registered that domain, forum opening tomorrow noon

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Or am I just being a permie prima donna?
    Get used to it. If you were working with me you would be under no misconception that I was in charge, you were doing the matrix, making me tea and giving me a blow job if I decided that you had a purdy mouth. Your a perm, bow down to your contracting masters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X