• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Germany wakes up to the fry-up as British cuisine takes off in Berlin"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I've spent a ******* long time working all over Germany and have never really had problems. The last 7-8 years I have spent more time in hotels than at home ranging from corporate chains to local hostelries and so far have found that smaller chains and the locals are much better than the large US corporates however service in nearly all of them has been good. I tend not to eat in hotels anyway as most hotels are not too brilliant when it comes to food. Some of the best to stay are small inns where you're going to get a good welcome and not only will the food will be locally sourced and the portions MTT sized but also very good. Personally whenever I go back to England I find the hotels are overpriced, unfriendly and the service not exactly brilliant and I have had to complain numerous times about that.

As for Bonn, I worked there for just over 6 months and although I tended to stay in one particular hotel I tried some of the others. Those in the town center tend to be small family run joints for tourists and I will admit a couple were not too brilliant but I used to stay at the Hilton which is directly on the Rhine and always got a room overlooking the river, with balcony, full cooked breakfast and always around the €100 mark.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    There's a British fish 'n' chip place in Bonn. One of my locals does fish 'n' chips about every 6 weeks, pretty darn good actually.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    In the centre of Munich by the farmers market (the Viktualienmarktof) you've got The Victorian House 1438 - The Victorian House 1438

Any time you need a cream tea or a yourshire pud it's the place to go. We've tried walking in for a table on two occasions only to be welcomed by a full house. Reservations are must.
    VH has a couple of highlights, but it is generally not British food (even when described as such). The British stuff it does do is a tad on the expensive side.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    They did ban our beef for years despite having no reason to.

Their sprouts killed 30 people in one summer.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    As for the British food outlets in Munich idea: There have been several attempts but it seems the (undeserved) reputation of British food is difficult to over come and all have gone bust. I believe there is currently a pie shop in the Ostbahnhof.
    In the centre of Munich by the farmers market (the Viktualienmarktof) you've got The Victorian House 1438 - The Victorian House 1438

Any time you need a cream tea or a yourshire pud it's the place to go. We've tried walking in for a table on two occasions only to be welcomed by a full house. Reservations are must.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    There have been several attempts but it seems the (undeserved) reputation of British food is difficult to over come and all have gone bust. I believe there is currently a pie shop in the Ostbahnhof.
    The Brits all think a chippy is a good idea (which it is), but the Brits wont use it often enough to keep it going and the Germans are reluctant to try it.
    Every single German who has tried British food that I know has told me that it is wonderful but their friends laugh when they suggest trying it.
    Same with the Dutch; those who've never been to Britain or last went 30 years ago think British food is awful, those who've been recently say Britain's a better place to go out for dinner than France. Interesting to see that the best Dutch chefs all have copies of British chefs books on their shelves and have embraced the whole nose to tail philosophy.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Nonsense. Stayed at the Marriott Cologne last month, not particularly cheap. Food not very good either
    Germans don't do service very well, not particularly friendly.
    And lets not mention Bonn, overpriced rip off.
    Petrol prices about the same I was interested to see.
    I would half agree. I have spent years contracting in Southern Germany.
    I have found hotels to be pretty good on price. Where price is equivelant to the UK the standard is way better.
    Service: You are right.
    German food: You are right.
    Friendly: Sorry, btu I have never had anything but friendly except for the previously mentioned service staff.
    Bonn: Never been so accept what you say.
    Petrol: I see the same digits as price here and in UK with exchange rate that makes it cheaper (but not much)

As for the British food outlets in Munich idea: There have been several attempts but it seems the (undeserved) reputation of British food is difficult to over come and all have gone bust. I believe there is currently a pie shop in the Ostbahnhof.
    The Brits all think a chippy is a good idea (which it is), but the Brits wont use it often enough to keep it going and the Germans are reluctant to try it.
    Every single German who has tried British food that I know has told me that it is wonderful but their friends laugh when they suggest trying it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Well you claimed German luxury hotels were cheap. They're not. Marriott was the cheapest 5 star in Cologne at the time.
    I've stayed in many hotels in Germany over the years, boutique etc. Some have been good, the majority have been no better than their English counterparts.
    In the late 80s and 90s, service was markedly inferior to the UK, luckily they've improved this somewhat.
    Food in any part of Germany cannot compare wiht London.
    I wouldn't know about London; have only been once in the last 5 years and wasn't impressed by either hotel or the restaurant; maybe just lacking local knowledge to find the best places.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Marriott?

American chain hotel, that's the trouble. Take a look at some of these places instead;
    Luxury Boutique Hotels Germany

Or these;

Germany luxury hotels, 5 star hotels Germany - Conde Nast Johansens

These are rather good too;
    Finest Hideaway Resorts | A-ROSA
    Well you claimed German luxury hotels were cheap. They're not. Marriott was the cheapest 5 star in Cologne at the time.
    I've stayed in many hotels in Germany over the years, boutique etc. Some have been good, the majority have been no better than their English counterparts.
    In the late 80s and 90s, service was markedly inferior to the UK, luckily they've improved this somewhat.
    Food in any part of Germany cannot compare wiht London.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Nonsense. Stayed at the Marriott Cologne last month, not particularly cheap. Food not very good either
    Marriott?

American chain hotel, that's the trouble. Take a look at some of these places instead;
    Luxury Boutique Hotels Germany

Or these;

Germany luxury hotels, 5 star hotels Germany - Conde Nast Johansens

These are rather good too;
    Finest Hideaway Resorts | A-ROSA

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Right, that's it, im having a 2nd breakfast fry up

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    As are the prices of their luxury hotels and their best restaurants, happily. Beautiful country, friendly lot, fabulous wines (among some awful ones too), even has very good weather in some areas, but please don't tell the plebs about it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Germans are generally about 20-30 years behind the main trends in food, fashion and the economy. I ought to know I've been every year for about 20 years.
    As are the prices of their luxury hotels and their best restaurants, happily. Beautiful country, friendly lot, fabulous wines (among some awful ones too), even has very good weather in some areas, but please don't tell the plebs about it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Germans are generally about 20-30 years behind the main trends in food, fashion and the economy. I ought to know I've been every year for about 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Any foreign restaurant should flourish in Munich, German cuisine is disgusting IMHO.

I always eat Italian or Turkish when in Deutschland.
    Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    What's wrong with it? I picture sausages, chocolate and busty women with beer?
    German food can be very good. Roast goose and red cabbage washed down with copious amounts of Riesling is my favourite. I'm quite partial to sauerkraut as well, but Lady Tester complains a bit about the post-sauerkraut gas emissions. Jawohl.

Pig's head with beetroot; yum yum.

I'm not too keen on those big dumplings though.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 21 September 2011, 08:35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X