• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh dear: 8 out of ten tempted to vote for BNP..."

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    That's sort of an interesting idea.

I wonder if anyone many years ago stockpiled millions of barrels of oil somehere and it waiting for the magical $100 / barrel threshold to be reached?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by vista
    The UK as we know it is being destroyed - fact
    There is feck all you can do about it - fact

Don't whinge, moan or complain it's pointless.

You have to make money a lot of money and if this has to be from the smoking embers of what was once a good country then so be it
    OK. How do I do that? IT contracting is all I know, and I think that's a hell of a ride in its time, that's now slowing down to a stop.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Have to say I somewhat agree with that.... in that the UK is no longer the country it was
    It never was, and never would be. The UK that you and I grew up with was one limited view of one small part of history. Scots (just for example) didn't begin to think of themselves as "British" until about the time of Gladstone, late 19th century. They've mostly stopped thinking that way by now. The UK was short-lived, because it wasn't real.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Berlusconi might be selling some real estate on the cheap pretty soon....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I don't think I've visited a country as badly infected by New Lie as tulipe Britain, so just about anywhere will do.

For me, anyplace on the Med coast is fine.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    But where to....?

Just about everywheres infected.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by vista

You have to make money a lot of money and if this has to be from the smoking embers of what was once a good country then so be it, your life will be over before you know it don't waste it crying for yesterday sieze tomorrow.

Take advantage of prevailing conditions
    Make your money and earn a choice, there's a reason the rich don't give a sh1 t.
    Get my vote as the most sensible post for a very long time.

Get your plan b's in place folks. Make money, avoid tax if you can, prepare to leave the sinking ship.

Infact the best analogy is the Titanic. Britain today is like the Titanic shortly after hitting the iceberg. The iceberg is New Labour.

Once the great ship was something to be proud of, now it is on it's way to the bottom.

Realise it's over, grab the cash and jewels, get in the lifeboat and feck off before most even realise the seriousness of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole
    Net immigration equals:

Housing shortages
    More crowded roads
    Power shortages
    Water shortages
    Urban friction
    Lower wages
    Higher taxes

Net immigration does not mean that our pensions are paid for, because immigrants get old too, and when that happens we will need even more immigrants to pay for them as well. That is not a sound strategy, that is a crazy pyramid sales plan!

So, can someone tell me again why we need more people on this island?
    I'm going to say something unpopular with both side (just up my street then).

YES, most of the British Isles is overcrowded, but
    NO, immigration does not make much difference to that (though it does to other things).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    I rather like living in areas with a racial mix although I find the numbers of Eastern Europeans troubling. An all white place with shops that close at 5:30 is a bit odd and dull.

However, we already have serious problems with congestion on the roads, and by all accounts we will have problems with water and power shortages. Recent estimates are that in 10 or 20 years this country will increase to 70 million from the current 60 million. This will put pressure on roads, water, power and housing. The latter is already in short supply hence the current boom which shows no end.

My belief is that New Liar allow increasing immigration on a huge scale because a) they don't have the balls to fight the EU on this issue b) the increasing workforce means less problems with pensions in 20 years (better young to old ratio) and c) the house price boom is maintained, the collapse of which would decimate this government and probably spell its end.
    And (d) the gerrymandering aspect - the assumption that immigrants will tend to vote for the party in power when those immigrants were allowed in (although that may be more than offset by lost votes elsewhere).

On the subject of jerrymandering, something else worth mentioning, which is infinitesimally more creditable, is that EU government voting rights and the proportion of MEPs is based on national populations.

So given that the Government is insanely obsessed with maintaining the UK's influence in the EU on its own terms at any price (and it must be said, mainstream Tories are little different in that) they see bolstering the population as another means to do this.

(This is an angle I recall reading about a year or two ago. But I don't have any figures or links to support it, and if anyone else does it would be interesting.)

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran
    The water shortage isn't down to immigration but it can't help.
    I think what is more worrying is that this is the ONLY aspect of the water supply problem that is being deliberately ignored under the spectre of "political correctness".

The only reason given by the government is that we have had the wrong type of rain last year.

Prescott's plans to build more housing in the southeast should be stopped immediately as it is obvious that the infrastructure cannot support massive increases in population, but the arrogant ***** will bulldoze it through regardless in the interests of a voting demographic.

That's the real crime being committed.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Threaded, I'm surprised at you

Originally posted by threaded
    I was wondering why a BNP councillor is thought to be so much worse than a New Lie one...
    BNP councillors would express a bias against non-whites, while NuLiebore against non-poor. We can all become poor (they're having a damn good try) but we can't all change our skin-colour (OK, Michael Jackson excepted) and therefore NL are 'fair'er.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I'm not sure what your last paragraph means.
    I was wondering why a BNP councillor is thought to be so much worse than a New Lie one...

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Have to say I somewhat agree with that.... in that the UK is no longer the country it was and has lost any sense of identity, history and has no direction in terms of culture.

As for whether or not it's too late... quite possibly. The commercial interests that control policy are in favour of asset stripping the country.

Leave a comment:

• vista
    replied
    Get with the program

You have to make money a lot of money and if this has to be from the smoking embers of what was once a good country then so be it, your life will be over before you know it don't waste it crying for yesterday sieze tomorrow.

Take advantage of prevailing conditions
    Make your money and earn a choice, there's a reason the rich don't give a sh1 t.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole
    sasguru, sometimes the depth of your thinking resembles that of Mr Blobby!

I do not deny that low rainfall is a big factor, but you are suggesting that the large increase in people down there has not had an effect on the use of water. They must be very dirty and dehydrated people!
    I'm sorry to learn about your low IQ. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X