• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Outdoor Furniture

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Outdoor Furniture"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    like the others say though, I'm old fashioned and if I ever owned a chainsaw I would buy all the gear

Milan.
    With your physique mb, you'd best head to the Fisher-Price webpage. Anything else will be a tad heavy for you. Leave the big heavy stuff to us grown-ups!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    ouch,

I didn't know that happened to diver !!!!!!!

sounds painful

like the others say though, I'm old fashioned and if I ever owned a chainsaw I would buy all the gear

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Yikes!!!!

The description was graphic enough. No need for pictures.

Looks like I'd better invest in some safety gear!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    Having worked as a mechanic previously, fixing garden machinery, i've fixed a lot of chainsaws in my time.

My knowledge isn't current, but I did have the displeasure of fixing a stihl quite recently - didn't like it - and I wouldn't buy one myself, but they are good saws and I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with one.

I always liked Husqvarna or Dolmar saws.
    Looking online, Tanaka and Efco were always decent.
    I'd avoid mcculloch or anything with a strange brand name. I've never heard of Mitox so would avoid on that basis. The question is, can you get spares if something breaks?
    I think you would regret getting some cheap rubbish.

One rule of thumb is that if they make chainsaws for professional use then their smaller chainsaws are probably good.

I'd also advise getting the proper safety kit - it isn't cheap but please buy it.

Al,

is Efco stuff good,

I've got the big rotary mower that they make

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Okay. Good advice, taken on board. For the record, I don't remember what happened to Diver. Linky?
    Divers little accident

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    WHS. With bells & whistles on.

Remember Diver.

And he wasn't using a chainsaw.
    Okay. Good advice, taken on board. For the record, I don't remember what happened to Diver. Linky?

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Having worked as a mechanic previously, fixing garden machinery, i've fixed a lot of chainsaws in my time.

My knowledge isn't current, but I did have the displeasure of fixing a stihl quite recently - didn't like it - and I wouldn't buy one myself, but they are good saws and I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with one.

I always liked Husqvarna or Dolmar saws.
    Looking online, Tanaka and Efco were always decent.
    I'd avoid mcculloch or anything with a strange brand name. I've never heard of Mitox so would avoid on that basis. The question is, can you get spares if something breaks?
    I think you would regret getting some cheap rubbish.

One rule of thumb is that if they make chainsaws for professional use then their smaller chainsaws are probably good.

I'd also advise getting the proper safety kit - it isn't cheap but please buy it.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    I must admit that I have been advised to get one of those, but not sure whether or not I can really justify spending that much when the scope for ongoing use is fairly limited once the current batch of wood is cut up. Cheers anyway.
    Not such a bad thing. We wouldn't want you to strain yourself now.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Mine is the MS 170 (?) I think, with a 14" bar which is more than adequate for this type of stuff. It was about £180 from memory so not too expensive and I have the confidence that if I pick it up in 6 months that it won't have fell to pieces.

Don't buy and electric chainsaw BTW.

If you can't justify the cost, you could always recoup the costs by taking it to childrens parties and dressing up as Leatherface

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I must admit that I have been advised to get one of those, but not sure whether or not I can really justify spending that much when the scope for ongoing use is fairly limited once the current batch of wood is cut up. Cheers anyway.
    After a few bevvies when friends are round you can demonstrate it and scare the bejesus out of them.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Has to be STIHL for chainsaws IMO. They're the best around. Had mine for a few years now, and bought it to fell a small woods about 1/3 acre and never missed a beat, just reguarly service it and replace the chain every so often.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Has to be STIHL for chainsaws IMO. They're the best around. Had mine for a few years now, and bought it to fell a small woods about 1/3 acre and never missed a beat, just reguarly service it and replace the chain every so often.

Incidentally, has anyone see the Stihl Timbersports event they have on every year? Crazy sport!! It's just full of power crazed, chainsaw yielding maniacs seeing how fast they can saw through a tree. Bonkers!
    Watched one of these "how do they make it" programs on Stihl chainsaws recently. Look as if they know what they are doing.

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Got a Stihl 28 incher. It's the business but not good for arial work as it's too heavy for precarious one handed operations.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Looks like I may have to upgrade my chainsaw though. Anyone got any recommendations?

Incidentally, has anyone see the Stihl Timbersports event they have on every year? Crazy sport!! It's just full of power crazed, chainsaw yielding maniacs seeing how fast they can saw through a tree. Bonkers!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You seen the size of her arse? We only need 3 friends!

(Actually she ran the glasgow half marathon yesterday and I will be sleeping in the shed if she ever sees this)
    It'll be our secret!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X