• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Great British Institutions"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    RNLI?

You sure you want to claim that one

RNLI rescues own fundraising swimmers

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    And don't forget Brylcreem.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    And dont forget "The recruitment agency"

Since the beginning of the twentieth century, every developed country has created a public employment agency as a way to combat unemployment and help people find work.
    In the United Kingdom the first agency began in London, through the Labour Bureau (London) Act 1902, and subsequently nationwide by the Liberal government through the Labour Exchanges Act 1909. The present public provider of job search help is called Jobcentre plus.
    In the United States, a federal programme of employment services was rolled out in the New Deal. The initial legislation was called the Wagner-Peyser Act of 1933 and more recently job services happen through one-stop centres established by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    And following on from Pork Belly's post I offer Spitting Image's 'Tory Map of the World'. Please note this is in no way politically, economically or gender friendly (or 'correct' at all). It does rather sum up the politcal mood of the time, though.

I agree about the RSPCA and the NHS btw - with caveats

Tory map of the world

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Also going on a walk for the sake of it is.
    Don't some foreigners do that occasionally?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes, and Holland desperately needs some decent radio stations playing British indie music, seeing as the radio here is utter tulipe.
    I use internet radio. Sometimes I download a few station onto a USM stick and play it in the car.

"???? ?????" - ?????? ????????????

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I will be out in Richmond Park for the road race.
    Royal Parks, palaces i.e. Hampton Court and stately homes are Great British Institutions.

Also going on a walk for the sake of it is.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The British pro audio industry: AMS Neve, SSL, Midas, Allen & Heath, Focusrite, Audient, Prism Sound, ATC, Harbeth, Quested, PTC and quite a few others. The BBC need to take some credit as well.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    There are new Great British Institutions coming along all the time. I suggest the British Olympic Cycling Team. Cheer them on next year.
    I will be out in Richmond Park for the road race.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    He's French! What about Frijid Pink or Golden Earring (I actually like The Ex though from Holland which is probably too indie for many people here)
    He is an international singing sensation!

Anyway, "The Hoff" is a yank and the squareheads are all over him like a rash!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    He's French! What about Frijid Pink or Golden Earring (I actually like The Ex though from Holland which is probably too indie for many people here)
    Good Dutch bands have to make it either in the UK or on the festival circuit before Dutch radio picks up on them. Bettie Serveert are a good band who never got much playtime on Dutch radio. Both Golden Earring and Herman Brood had to leave Holland and play in the UK and US before anyone in Holland took note that they were actually quite good.

The exception is really the Dutch language stuff, which is mostly quasi-German oompah crap.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    WHAT? No Johnny Hallyday?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Great British Institutions

Category:Psychiatric hospitals in England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Wimpy

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    No, I'm serious. Your radio choice in Holland is;

- ' classic rock', which seems to begin with Rick bloody Wakeman and end with Phil Collins
    WHAT? No Johnny Hallyday?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X