• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What to do if you are diagnosed with cancer and only have 3 months to live?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Right I got the lowdown on all of this and it is hardly the way the papers are presenting it.

The drug was discovered in the UK, yes that is right dim, UK doctors discovered it.

The drug Vs placebo survival times are 14.8 to 11.2 so it is hardly a wonder drug as made out by this Professor and the course costs 40,000 dollars.

Now why would a doctor be pushing this drug as the reason for his survival when he does not know what medication the guy is on? He was not slow to mention the drug name and mention that it is not approved here. I am not saying much more than that.

As usual dim you pick up the first thing you read and run with it without checking the facts ya moron.

(Incognito, if the drug is not approved the chemists cannot hold it so nobody can prescribe it on the NHS or privately)

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Obviously you can't if you are mass murderer, ask the Libyan bomber.
    I read that sentence and I think AtW.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Interesting bit in the next paragraph:

19. You may prescribe medicines for purposes for which they are not licensed. Although there are a number of circumstances in which this may arise, it is likely to occur most frequently in prescribing for children. Currently pharmaceutical companies do not usually test their medicines on children and as a consequence, cannot apply to license their medicines for use in the treatment of children. The use of medicines that have been licensed for adults, but not for children, is often necessary in paediatric practice.
    I wonder how common it is in paediatric practice.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Try and get an NHS doctor to do that.

A completely private doctor might, but most private doctors also work in the NHS and don't want to be struck off or sued.
    That's why I said privately, I'm guessing it would be a hoot getting it out of the NHS. I take your point about being sued/struck off etc. I just always thought it was possible (no matter how slim).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I thought you could get unlicensed medicine prescribed privately?
    Try and get an NHS doctor to do that.

A completely private doctor might, but most private doctors also work in the NHS and don't want to be struck off or sued.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post

GMC | Good practice in prescribing medicines - guidance for doctors
    Obviously you can't if you are mass murderer, ask the Libyan bomber.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied

Prescribing unlicensed medicines

18. You can prescribe unlicensed medicines but, if you decide to do so, you must:
    a. Be satisfied that an alternative, licensed medicine would not meet the patient's needs
    b. Be satisfied that there is a sufficient evidence base and/or experience of using the medicine to demonstrate its safety and efficacy
    c. Take responsibility for prescribing the unlicensed medicine and for overseeing the patient's care, including monitoring and any follow up treatment (see also paragraphs 25-27 on prescribing for hospital outpatients)
    d. Record the medicine prescribed and, where you are not following common practice, the reasons for choosing this medicine in the patient's notes.
    GMC | Good practice in prescribing medicines - guidance for doctors

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Nope, you still won't get the modern treatments. 3rd world country I'm afraid.
    Drugs in this country have to be approved for prescription first, the Americans fire out any drugs at any time to anyone.

Also he will probably be the only person in Africa on this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    What if you go private over here?
    Nope, you still won't get the modern treatments. 3rd world country I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    On a serious note back, if I or one of my family were told they had an incurable disease, I'd seek a few 2nd opinions outside of the UK. The quality of healthcare here is appalling, especially cancer care. Treatments have progressed well in countries such as US, Canada, Australia. Sadly the UK spends most of it's health budget on public sector pensions, GP salaries, PFI costs and agency staff.
    What if you go private over here?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    From the man that would not let his child take the MMR three in one vaccine.
    No, my lad has had all his standard vaccinations. The one I didn't go and get was the Swine Flu rush job that hadn't been through thorough clinical trials.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    On a serious note back, if I or one of my family were told they had an incurable disease, I'd seek a few 2nd opinions outside of the UK. The quality of healthcare here is appalling, especially cancer care. Treatments have progressed well in countries such as US, Canada, Australia. Sadly the UK spends most of it's health budget on public sector pensions, GP salaries, PFI costs and agency staff.
    From the man that would not let his child take the MMR three in one vaccine.
    Last edited by minestrone; 19 August 2011, 12:57.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Seriously for a moment, I have a friend who only has months to live, and as he would say, the only possible answer is to get every damned thing out of life that you can, even if you haven't been told you only have months to live.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Seriously for a moment, I have a friend who only has months to live, and as he would say, the only possible answer is to get every damned thing out of life that you can, even if you haven't been told you only have months to live.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I thought he was let out in exchange for selling guns or buying oil or something from/to Libya? Those pills are probably made out of flour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X