• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gold

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gold"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sell gold, gold falls, buy some other tulip, the other tulip goes up, sell the other tulip, the other tulip falls, buy gold, gold goes up....

Welcome to the world of the financial big boys.
    Yeah, almost too easy.

Though there is another unconventional strategy: Say you are going to sell a shed load of tulip, wait for tulip to drop, sell tulip, tulip goes up. Proclaim yourself a financial genius who saved the world (twice).

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Pretty steep and sustained decline going on. Is all well in the economics world?
    Sell gold, gold falls, buy some other tulip, the other tulip goes up, sell the other tulip, the other tulip falls, buy gold, gold goes up....

Welcome to the world of the financial big boys.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Pretty steep and sustained decline going on. Is all well in the economics world?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Maybe, but what's the chance of that? Do they look dumb or something?
    On the one hand, they may need to to service debts, but I also know that it's not really Italian culture to sell off the family assets.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I suspect that if Italy were to sell just 5% of it's gold, the price would collapse.
    Maybe, but what's the chance of that? Do they look dumb or something?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Gold is starting to get feisty again.

At least with all this talk about Italy and Greece the UK is off the radar for a bit. Can't see that lasting long, I don't think we'll be getting the deficit down or paying back our debts. Not without some more major trashing of the pound anyway.
    I suspect that if Italy were to sell just 5% of it's gold, the price would collapse.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Gold is starting to get feisty again.

At least with all this talk about Italy and Greece the UK is off the radar for a bit. Can't see that lasting long, I don't think we'll be getting the deficit down or paying back our debts. Not without some more major trashing of the pound anyway.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    A sharp move down in the last 24 hours. As Jimmy Savile's jewellery is sold..

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Hefty move in equities last week. FTSE upto 5717 up from 4800 just a few weeks earlier.

Volatile to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Up she rises.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Gold looking bullish again:

Gold daily chart

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Just went skyward for some reason. Expect some economic news.
    Could it be something to do with this ?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I like to drill mine out and fill them with lead and then sell them back.

Ratners used to do that. Also ther used to be coin clipping.

Coin clipping

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I 'heard' that too and I 'heard' that they worked in cigarette machines back in the days when fags were £1.50 a pack.

I also 'heard' that you could mould 50p pieces from ice and put them in the gas meter and electricity meters in your student flat and I 'heard' that you could use a hair dryer on the base of the coin box to evaporate said ice 50p making your fraud untraceable (other than using lots of gas/elec and there being no money in the coin box). I only 'heard' this though.
    Wouldn't the hair dryer use 50p's worth of electricity rendering the whole process rather pointless?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Just went skyward for some reason. Expect some economic news.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X