• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wales vs England; non sporty types look away"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    He may have cocked that up, but I also have mental images of him knocking successive attempted tacklers backwards while barely slowing down. (In past games.) I also recall him (when playing for Bath) being a suprisingly good passer.

Then again, I recall him missing a tackle recently.

I would like to see him developed into an England centre. England has no shortage of wings and full-backs.

Edit: I think I saw some footage/criticism that what he did wrong was to try and go over/through the tackler, he'd come away from the touch-line and if he'd done the normally winger thinger of going back out he would have made it.
    Looks like the England back syndrome of hesitation and self doubt at the crucial moment. Perhaps they're all so scared of MJ that as soon as they get the ball they waste time thinking about what could go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Banahan went in high and was not going fast enough.
    He may have cocked that up, but I also have mental images of him knocking successive attempted tacklers backwards while barely slowing down. (In past games.) I also recall him (when playing for Bath) being a suprisingly good passer.

Then again, I recall him missing a tackle recently.

I would like to see him developed into an England centre. England has no shortage of wings and full-backs.

Edit: I think I saw some footage/criticism that what he did wrong was to try and go over/through the tackler, he'd come away from the touch-line and if he'd done the normally winger thinger of going back out he would have made it.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 15 August 2011, 12:17.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    I do hope it irks them.
    whs, and I suspect MJ is behind it

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    There has been "outrage" in the New Zealand media that England's change strip is going to be black.
    Typical Kiwi attitude that.
    No team has the right to claim that they should be the only ones to use a certain kit. Outrageous to even think it.

I do hope it irks them.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Can't think anyone will care about that; NZ won the first world cup with an English fullback and I think it's generally accepted these days that international rugby teams are rather cosmopolitan.
    We'll wait and see.

There has been "outrage" in the New Zealand media that England's change strip is going to be black.

Even though England asked the NZRU first. And they are not the only team to do it.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Can't think anyone will care about that; NZ won the first world cup with an English fullback and I think it's generally accepted these days that international rugby teams are rather cosmopolitan.
    Indeed. Martin Johnson himself played for NZ under-21s when he was, er, under 21.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    But I will be more interested to see the local reaction to someone called Manu Tuilagi playing for England.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    The people in the Southern Hemisphere do all think that the Northern Hemisphere teams are pathetic.

But I will be more interested to see the local reaction to someone called Manu Tuilagi playing for England.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Difference Wales v England. More dog.
    The Welsh players seemed genuinely proud to be on the field; they were under the cosh in terms of possession but simply had the balls to keep on defending and throwing their bodies in the way. Bloody well done to them. England were simply painful to watch.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Difference Wales v England. More dog.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I've only seen the Shane Williams tackle once, but didn't he kind of pull Banahan over towards him, using Banahan's weight to his own advantage, like some kind of Judo move? That's what it looked like to me. Got him off balance and pulled him down. It only just worked, but it was a good tackle.
    Banahan went in high and was not going fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I've only seen the Shane Williams tackle once, but didn't he kind of pull Banahan over towards him, using Banahan's weight to his own advantage, like some kind of Judo move? That's what it looked like to me. Got him off balance and pulled him down. It only just worked, but it was a good tackle.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I don't like to say these things about top players because I know something about what's involved in trying to reach that standard; I tried like hell and didn't make it. However, if I see a 6'7" 19 stone winger wearing an England shirt (I can't tell you how much I'd have given for that honour) with 5 yards to go to the line running upright into the tackle and being flattened by a man of 12 stone , I have to wonder why he bothered putting in all the training effort because it looks to me like he's lacking pride and doesn't seem to understand what it means to wear the shirt. FFS, in that situation it is all about aggression and the will to win. For just a second, ignore the whole world, get down low, pin back your ears, pump your legs and go for the bloody try line with such deadly aggression that anyone trying to stop you is either coming with you or going to bloody hospital.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    And as a knock on effect, Wales will be even more believing that they have a chance against SA in their opening game .

The fact that our scrum went backwards against the touch rugby sheepshaggers is real cause for concern
    England need a huge improvement even to get through the group, facing Argentina and Scotland. Even Georgia and Romania will fancy themselves if they watched Saturday's game.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    And as a knock on effect, Wales will be even more believing that they have a chance against SA in their opening game .

The fact that our scrum went backwards against the touch rugby sheepshaggers is real cause for concern

Leave a comment:

Working...
X