• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "14000 lines in one source"

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Yes, but why does duck, goose, swan, baby budgies taste so different from chicken?
    And why does duck have so much (apparantly disproportionate) fat when cooked? I mean, surely it's the Lizzie Bardsley of the winged world.

(makes nice roast potatoes though...)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Yes, but why does duck, goose, swan, baby budgies taste so different from chicken?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Lizards taste like chicken. And aligators are a mix of slightly fishy chicken. In actual fact, quite alot of "exotic" cooked flesh tastes of chicken, except for politicians who taste like maggots. I've had Witchetty Grubs in Oz and a mate of mine from Sierra Leon eats locusts.

Here's a possible reason for tastes (if you're as bored as me):

http://www.improb.com/airchives/pape...i4/chicken.htm

hyperD in "hyperD & Lucifier Box exotic food thread" mode

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    To be fair, supermarket chicken breasts are only 40% chicken anyway: they are 30% water and 30% hydrolysed pork protein.

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Do they taste like chicken?

Leave a comment:

• Emperor Dalek
    replied
    Try exterminating any permies who are not up to scratch. It's surprisingly effective as a management technique.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Bloody Hell!

You can't go away for a week's holiday without your code being passed on to some jumped up contractor who thinks he knows better.

He has even eaten my egg and cress sandwich!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    A client wanted me to comment all the code, so I wrote a little tool to create comments just like the above.

Don't know why I bothered. Afterwards I found I could've downloaded a variety of tools that did much the same.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    arguably

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    I once saw this as comment:
    Would it not be more correct to say "saw the following as comment"?

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    I once saw this as comment:

* Add one to counter
    ADD 1 TO W-COUNTER

Well helpful, that was... NOT.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You guys are such a bunch of geeks!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I used to be able to disassemble z80 & 8080/8085 code by eye, more or less.

Had to write a disassembler for 6809 and 6303 coz of all the relative jumps...

GA (General Automation) produced minicomputers in the 60s/70s/80s until the PC took over.

The Amstrad 1512 was a little faster than the GA16-220 I used... and had far more memory.

Apparently a lot of GA computers are still struggling on because they were extensively used in machine control and stuff like that.

Ford in Bridgend used quite a lot at one time.
    0xc9

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I used to be able to disassemble z80 & 8080/8085 code by eye, more or less.
    I could do Z80 pretty much at one stage.

I remember having a print out of the assembler for the ORIC-1 ROM, all 16K of it, that I used to spend hours figuring out. That was probably when I was 11 as well. Oh so sad.

As for comments, I find the people that harp on about comments are usually the ones that fill the code with pointless comments, like...

GetHeight() // get the height
    SetHeight() // set the height

etc. Also one colleague of mine would have some fancy macro that added a comment to each function, so each function would have

// TODO: Write description of function

at the start, because nobody ever filled in the comment. Worst still is when people write comments, but don't update the comments when the code changes. This is what happens when people blindly follow what they think they're supposed to do, rather than do what's actually useful. The same can happen to a lesser extent with specifications.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by cswd
    I've disassembled (manually) about 4k of 6502 assembly
    was that the BBC micro, those were the days, when I were a lad we lived in.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X