• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: € vs £.....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "€ vs £....."

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Land is one of the best buys IMO.
    Gold is all very well but that's all it is, you can't do anything with it.
    Most of our money in invested in land, it's the one thing nobody is making anymore.

You can't do a lot with land, unless you get permission. So much for owning, it's more like leasing.

Is the land you own in the UK or abroad? UK land seems to be a bit pricey compared to many parts of europe. What a surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    Aside of the current economic hilarity, is forex trading worth doing as a side thing?
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    As a "side thing", you will lose money. 100% certain.

However, if you go into it seriously and eat, drink and breathe forex for the same length of time as a degree, then you may become profitable.
    Remember the Greeks!

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    Aside of the current economic hilarity, is forex trading worth doing as a side thing?
    As a "side thing", you will lose money. 100% certain.

However, if you go into it seriously and eat, drink and breathe forex for the same length of time as a degree, then you may become profitable.

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    € vs £ is a bit boring and sluggish today - could do with a bit of livening up

Maybe NY open will spice things up a bit..
    Doubt it. At the moment, NY is the worst session to trade.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Most of our money in invested in land, it's the one thing nobody is making anymore.
    Fill yer boots

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post

What historically causes the value of gold to crash?
    Letting Gordon Brown anywhere near your reserves seems to work.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I can do the same with my tins of curried baked beans.

I can also have them stacked in my house with little fear of them being stolen. Hiding my wealth in plain sight.

If the yanks sell a large portion of their gold reserve* to pay off some of their debt will yours still be worth as much?

* assuming they have any, if you believe the conspiracy theory about the IMF bloke being arrested after discovering fort knox empty
    Last edited by PAH; 20 July 2011, 16:22.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    People hold paper money as it's what people selling stuff want to receive. Unless those selling stuff are going to accept gold you need to convert it back to money anyway.

What historically causes the value of gold to crash? If that scenario was likely in the near future you wouldn't be so quick to hold onto it!
    What you fail to grasp is that I can buy gold with one paper currency and if that paper currency goes "pop" I can sell it into another. For example do you know how many eager buyers of gold there are in China and India. Very wealthy people that will buy my gold in whatever currency I want.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    IMO CHF is the 'safest' safe haven currency at the moment.

There's JPY as well but they're not doing too well either. If I was AP I'd be looking at the Aussie as they don't seem to be in as much carp and they have good interest rates as well. Although it's been mentioned that AUD is due a correction we'll have to see..
    Lucky for me I worked some of last year and this year in Zurich, so CHF is good news for me. But I have Sterling which I should have moved but didn't, now I am thinking it's too late.

INR rate is stable against Sterling at the moment and the a paying around 7%

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Govt buys a tree worth £1,000,000,000.
    People hold paper money as it's what people selling stuff want to receive. Unless those selling stuff are going to accept gold you need to convert it back to money anyway.

What historically causes the value of gold to crash? If that scenario was likely in the near future you wouldn't be so quick to hold onto it!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Gold and precious metals have always been a good hedge against a currency crisis. You cannot eat Gold but you can trade it easily for food etc. But Gold has crashed before and could do so again.

What if Spain or Italy default ? Euro will crash and Germany and France will abandon it. Anybody holding Euros would lose. Anybody who converted their Euros to USD or CHF would be in a good position.

What if you hedged with USD and US defaults ? This could happen and Euro in this instance would soar against USD and your hedge would fail.

What if UK defaulted ? GBP would crash obviously and anybody who hedged with USD would gain massively.

But who can really really predict any of those defaults ?
    IMO CHF is the 'safest' safe haven currency at the moment.

There's JPY as well but they're not doing too well either. If I was AP I'd be looking at the Aussie as they don't seem to be in as much carp and they have good interest rates as well. Although it's been mentioned that AUD is due a correction we'll have to see..

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Can't be bothered to explain gold.

I look at it this way. Govt buys a tree for £1000, turns it into pulp, makes some paper and then puts some ink on it and tells me it's worth £1,000,000,000.

And I'm supposed to think gold is a bubble?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Gold and precious metals have always been a good hedge against a currency crisis. You cannot eat Gold but you can trade it easily for food etc. But Gold has crashed before and could do so again.

What if Spain or Italy default ? Euro will crash and Germany and France will abandon it. Anybody holding Euros would lose. Anybody who converted their Euros to USD or CHF would be in a good position.

What if you hedged with USD and US defaults ? This could happen and Euro in this instance would soar against USD and your hedge would fail.

What if UK defaulted ? GBP would crash obviously and anybody who hedged with USD would gain massively.

But who can really really predict any of those defaults ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X