• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The rate of the rate of the rise in rising inflation is falling!"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    In a related item...Did anybody catch the BBC 4 documentary The Story of Maths last night? BBC - BBC Four Programmes - The Story of Maths

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Usually when people go to the trouble to say displacement they refer to the vector quantity describing the shortest path between two points, they don't usually go out of their way to describe displacement as a scalar. Distance is usually the word used for that.
    Displacement (vector) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, that's my limit. [another pun]
    Your puns are as bad as your maths.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    In the above example, v = dd/dt, since d = x-y.

Would it be easier to understand if it was in s-notation.
    Usually when people go to the trouble to say displacement they refer to the vector quantity describing the shortest path between two points, they don't usually go out of their way to describe displacement as a scalar. Distance is usually the word used for that.
    Displacement (vector) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, that's my limit. [another pun]

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Incidentally displacement is a vector quantity. Not that vectors are relevant anyway, as you can take derivatives of quantities other than vectors! Speed, for example. Thanks for ruining my great little pound pun with all this illiterate nonsense though
    In the above example, v = dd/dt, since d = x-y.

Would it be easier to understand if it was in s-notation.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Position is generally referred to as displacement as it is a scalar quantity, but they are the same in this case.
    Incidentally displacement is a vector quantity. Not that vectors are relevant anyway, as you can take derivatives of quantities other than vectors! Speed, for example. Thanks for ruining my great little pound pun with all this illiterate nonsense though

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    Displacement is correct here. Displacement is the change in position, and the derivative of this displacement is velocity. The second derivative of displacement is acceleration.

d = x - y (linear displacement)

v = d / t

a = v / t

where x, y are scalar coordinates, d = dispalcement, v = velocity, t = time, and a = acceleration.
    V = dx/dt to be more precise, you're describing average speed and acceleration. The dx, the displacement, approaches zero at the limit, which is also the position where you wish to take the derivative. v = d/t only works for very small d or where acceleration = 0 for example.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Stone me, I didn't mean to start the calculus wars all over again.
    What's that zeity, the academics can 'ave the code monkeys any day....yea I agree...well said.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    position

The original article was referring to a change in the rate of inflation rather than a third derivative.
    Displacement is correct here. Displacement is the change in position, and the derivative of this displacement is velocity. The second derivative of displacement is acceleration.

d = x - y (linear displacement)

v = d / t

a = v / t

where x, y are scalar coordinates, d = dispalcement, v = velocity, t = time, and a = acceleration.
    Last edited by rd409; 12 July 2011, 14:55. Reason: missing formulae

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    position

The original article was referring to a change in the rate of inflation rather than a third derivative.
    Position is generally referred to as displacement as it is a scalar quantity, but they are the same in this case.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Sorry buddy, but acceleration is the second derivative of displacement.

The second derivative of velocity is the rate of change of acceleration.

Disclaimer: Not that the original header makes any sesne any how.
    position

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Is the third derivative African or European ?
    Dunno, African? Go on, do tell.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied

Is the third derivative African or European ?

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Just put it into everyday terms. Inflation is the speed of a money printing ball thrown into the air, while the second derivative is the acceleration of the money ball. So if a money ball were thrown into the sky fast enough, and even were the acceleration of the money ball negative, the money ball might never come back and would escape the influence of the money printing machine forever and never come back.

Last edited by conned tractor; 12 July 2011, 12:38.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I'm sorry I cannot be with you this week to take part in all of this gloom, but I have been day trading Yell since last week and have managed to make an extra £12k since Friday to cover any inflation.

Don't let me stop you talking about it though. I'm back off to III.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Just put it into everyday terms. Inflation is the speed of a money printing ball thrown into the air, while the second derivative is the acceleration of the money ball. So if a money ball were thrown into the sky fast enough, and even were the acceleration of the money ball negative, the money ball might never come back and would escape the influence of the money printing machine forever and never come back.
    So if inflation reaches 25,000mph we're all flipped?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X