• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So bored with CUK I've gone and begun a subscription with The Times"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It's good to absorb a wide spectrum of viewpoints & analysis, and particularly to listen to those you disagree with.
    Yes it is. Kind of like know thy enemy. I also read recruitment weekly "how to milk the cows into submission" and der spiegel from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Why are you not buying local newspapers? You cannot possibly be interested in the UK after all the sweeping critical generalisations you seem to enjoy making against it.
    You are a European now and the Times is as anti Euro and anti federalist as you can get.
    It's good to absorb a wide spectrum of viewpoints & analysis, and particularly to listen to those you disagree with.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    No annoying advert telling me 'Expat abroad, you need an account with £$bl32'

Why are you not buying local newspapers? You cannot possibly be interested in the UK after all the sweeping critical generalisations you seem to enjoy making against it.
    You are a European now and the Times is as anti Euro and anti federalist as you can get.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Giles Coren

He tells it like it is.

Giles Coren reviews Massimo, London SW1

The dining room is vast and made of marble. The ceiling is so high that if you brought the Hubble telescope in here it would eventually start beaming back images of the cornicing only long after your grandchildren had died.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 2 July 2011, 11:02.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Buying papers is a mug's game now.
    I bought 2 rolls yesterday. I suppose I could have gone to macdonalds instead.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Not paying for news. Hoping I'm paying for quality journalism, the Guardian and Torygraph are becoming so repetitive and predictable.
    They've all gone down the drain in the last couple of years.

I was paying for the Times or the Mail a few weeks ago, to read on the tube, thinking a freebie like the Metro must be a worthless rag.

But I've stopped now, having found the Metro is as good, or no less bad, than the others.

Buying papers is a mug's game now.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    No annoying advert telling me 'Expat abroad, you need an account with £$bl32'

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    But let us know how you get on - it will be interesting to compare the written word with big pictures
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Not paying for news. Hoping I'm paying for quality journalism, the Guardian and Torygraph are becoming so repetitive and predictable.
    I'm not sure you'll get quality journalism, mostly opinion these days- although their lead sports and science writers used to be OK- but I'm not sure if they still write

But let us know how you get on - it will be interesting to compare free with paid for

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    When a man is tired of CUK, he is tired of life, as Dr Johnson would have said.....if he had a login.

HTH
    Bet that wasn't in his dictionary.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    When a man is tired of CUK, he is tired of life, as Dr Johnson would have said.....if he had a login.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    £2 p/w

What would I get for a £5?

News. Doom. House prices. What I had for lunch and a hand shandy & free chips from a greasy spoon owner in Bute. (though actually not sure that last bit is a good deal)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Give me £5 a week and I promise CUK will be more exciting.
    £2 p/w

What would I get for a £5?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post

You pay for news... how quaint

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Reviews to follow...
    Give me £5 a week and I promise CUK will be more exciting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X