• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which random extra skills should I try and pick up?"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    On reflection yes I think that is the case as the "renaissance of British engineering & manufacturing as talent gravitates away from the city" remark shows.
    Well it's that or a renaissance of British fast food and dole bludging. This prediction lark isn't an exact science.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    There will still be money to be made but the more ridiculous excesses of the last 10 years are over. Lets not forget there was a massive bubble that is slowly and surely deflating, and no doubt there is more pain to come. I also think the UK financial services sector has been quite badly damaged by the whole thing, I expect that in 10-15 years the distribution of power will look somewhat different and London will no longer be the centre of the universe.

I actually think we will see a renaissance of British engineering & manufacturing as talent gravitates away from the city.
    I marvel that the intelligent are so deluded and really do not know what is going on.

Perhaps it's my assumption of intelligence that is to blame.

On reflection yes I think that is the case as the "renaissance of British engineering & manufacturing as talent gravitates away from the city" remark shows.

Class. That had me spluttering over my keyboard.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Thanks for the laugh, that was a good one.*

No, really.

*Unless you really think so. In which case I think the plebs believe the media too much.
    There will still be money to be made but the more ridiculous excesses of the last 10 years are over. Lets not forget there was a massive bubble that is slowly and surely deflating, and no doubt there is more pain to come. I also think the UK financial services sector has been quite badly damaged by the whole thing, I expect that in 10-15 years the distribution of power will look somewhat different and London will no longer be the centre of the universe.

I actually think we will see a renaissance of British engineering & manufacturing as talent gravitates away from the city.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yeah a Masters at least.
    Although the Certificate in Quantitative Finance is highly regarded.

Certificate in Quantitative Finance - CQF | Financial Mathematics and Financial Engineering course
    Or a Masters in Quantitative Easing and get a job working for Merv.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    ... I get the feeling the magic money machine is an industry on the wane....

Thanks for the laugh, that was a good one.*

No, really.

*Unless you really think so. In which case I think the plebs believe the media too much.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    SEO if you're doing web stuff
    Or AppStore SEO if you're doing apps. With over 100,000 iPad apps* already I think this is the next big thing for those without their head in the cloud.

* source: The iPad: Now With 100,000 Apps Available

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Hmm. I have 4th edition of "JavaScript The Definitive Guide" (in near mint condition ) to get through, is there much that is new in the latest edition?

That's well out of date. Since then there's been:

"JavaScript The Ultimate Definitive Guide"
    "JavaScript The Extended Ultimate Definitive Guide"
    "JavaScript The Extended Ultimate Definitive Guide - The Author's Cut"

Coming soon:

"JavaScript The Extended Ultimate Definitive Guide - The Author's Cut - Anniversary Edition"

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Brush up on your "object-oriented" Javascript if you are going to be using js frameworks.
    Hmm. I have 4th edition of "JavaScript The Definitive Guide" (in near mint condition ) to get through, is there much that is new in the latest edition? They both appear to cover JavaScript 1.5 so I guess not.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Yeah a Masters at least.

Certificate in Quantitative Finance - CQF | Financial Mathematics and Financial Engineering course
    Hmm. I think I'd rather do something in engineering or comp sci TBH. I get the feeling the magic money machine is an industry on the wane. I might look into some more edukashun though.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post

to answer the OP, learn 'The Cloud', thats where its all at.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've got all that except accept the quant stuff.

Gizza a job, I could do that, it's just like pivot tables and stuff, gizza job.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Wot, like a mafs degree?
    Yeah a Masters at least.

http://www.cqf.com/

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Personally I would suggest a Mathematics/Stats qualification, followed by learning SAS/Excel VBA inside out and a career in quantitative modelling/risk/credit analysis/quant in a hedge fund type of role.
    I've got all that except accept the quant stuff.

Gizza a job, I could do that, it's just like pivot tables and stuff, gizza job.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Personally I would suggest a Mathematics/Stats qualification, followed by learning SAS/Excel VBA inside out and a career in quantitative modelling/risk/credit analysis/quant in a hedge fund type of role.
    Wot, like a mafs degree?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X