• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Return to IT & maybe contracting"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    The OP's post stems from the downturn.

Root and branch reform of the public sector is needed.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Here is an IT test for you, to see if you are suited

You have two tables, one for students and one for classes, and you want to make a join

What is the best type of wood to make students table with and what glue would you suggest for the join ?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    You might want to check out some of Forrester's market research papers first.

Then again, you might not as the people I've met that work there are as thick as two short planks anyway.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    I might take a leaf out of his book and try my hand at tree surgery especially considering the IT sector isnt showing any signs of green shoots.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Minisaurus View Post
    Hi,

I left IT contracting about 12 years ago to be a tree surgeon. I'm contemplating a return to IT - my skills are/were C programming, UNIX admin & all the RDBMS of the day.

What do people think I should learn now?

Thanks
    Mini
    You need to learn about release management so that you know whether to write your code in the trunk or a branch. At best your contracting career will fail to blossom and at worst you could be felled if you get it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.
    Ah, that old chestnut.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    You could work for us, but only if you are Oirish.

The MD is looking for tree fellas to work on our .net project

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It is like a nursery in here.
    Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It is like a nursery in here.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Have you considered SAP ?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's funny you should post this cos I often think about becoming a tree surgeon. The two disciplines have a lot in common.

Apache Chainsaw -

Tree (data structure) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I bet he's a bit stumped by the responses.
    If he doesn't like it, he can log off.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    The advice on here can be hollow, particularly for a young sapling.

There is a treemendous amount of information available on the internet but you will need to prune the results to find what you are looking for.

Sorry to lumber you with this jack, but its best to be honest up front so you don't have an axe to grind later.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I bet he's a bit stumped by the responses.

Leave a comment:

• Minisaurus
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I reckon there is still money to be made with these skills. Maybe chuck in PHP?
    Thanks Zippy - might Java be an idea too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X