• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Modern Devs eh....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Modern Devs eh...."

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Cock waggling over how is the best programmer is not what we do here sunshine.

How about that?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Exactly. It's about pwning.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    I agree, look at the best in any field and I can guarantee they don't spent a few hours a day training, if you think tiger woods just woke up one day playing perfect golf then you are dreaming. The best programmers are programming most of their waking day.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Everyone with a "flair" or "natural talent" turns out to have developed it by having done a lot of what is called "deliberate practice" starting from a young age. This is true of all sorts of musicians, athletes, writers as well as programmers. The current thinking is that it takes about 10 years of stretching to do something a little bit harder than you have done before to become an expert, although this varies a little from discipline to discipline.
    I agree, look at the best in any field and I can guarantee they don't spent a few hours a day training, if you think tiger woods just woke up one day playing perfect golf then you are dreaming. The best programmers are programming most of their waking day.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Not necessarily.. some just have a flair for it I guess, others have to work at it night and day. Granted some of the latter turn out to be very good, but equally a lot still can't write decent code - even if they do know the name of every design pattern in the book.
    Everyone with a "flair" or "natural talent" turns out to have developed it by having done a lot of what is called "deliberate practice" starting from a young age. This is true of all sorts of musicians, athletes, writers as well as programmers. The current thinking is that it takes about 10 years of stretching to do something a little bit harder than you have done before to become an expert, although this varies a little from discipline to discipline.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The good programmers have always done this. Like any profession, they got good by spending all their time on it, rather than having a life.
    Not necessarily.. some just have a flair for it I guess, others have to work at it night and day. Granted some of the latter turn out to be very good, but equally a lot still can't write decent code - even if they do know the name of every design pattern in the book.

Don't get me wrong, if people want to spend all their life geeking it up in front of a PC then that's their call. Not for me though - myself and many others have managed to become proficient without the need to do that.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Jeez I read that book once.
    Me too - it was a real Thriller.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Fair one - but not on a Friday lunchtime!!
    You have a point

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Most of these are just passing fads, although admittedly being able to spout chapter and verse about them in an interview might land you a plum contract.

But I mean have you heard of Jackson Structured Programming for example? Thought not - That rather proves my point.
    If you don't bother to keep abreast of the passing fads and the real trends hidden among them, then you aren't going to be of use for very long. Being able to unlearn stuff is quite a handy skill as well.

I'm actually quite proud of the fact I can name more famous computer scientists than characters from eastenders.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    But I mean have you heard of Jackson Structured Programming for example? Thought not - That rather proves my point.
    Jeez I read that book once.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Is that Jacksons five structured steps of programming or the Jackson Five as it's known in the trade?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I always reckoned that a good dev, could work about 8 times better and faster than an average dev. That means they can get a days work done before 10 oclock, then either bum around or dabble, or really get some work done.

and the gurus were 8 times faster and better than the good guys.

I met a guru, he was the guy that got me into contracting and boy, was he sh1t hot.
    He was always three steps ahead of the game, a maths genius and nothing fazed him
    a truly excellent bloke.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

The guys that only know what they work on and look blank when you ask them about Code First or design by contract or dependency injection are the ones that perpetuate the disastrous systems that inhabit most larger companies, they repeat the mistakes that were fixed a decade ago.
    Most of these are just passing fads, although admittedly being able to spout chapter and verse about them in an interview might land you a plum contract.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I agree with d000hg here, I find the best developers have a passion for development and enjoy spending time on it outside work. I certainly do, you can also have a social life as well.
    I agree. I spend more time coding & reading about coding outside of work than I do when I'm there.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The good programmers have always done this. Like any profession, they got good by spending all their time on it, rather than having a life.

edit: It seems I inadvertently agreed with MF.
    I agree with d000hg here, I find the best developers have a passion for development and enjoy spending time on it outside work. I certainly do, you can also have a social life as well.

The guys that only know what they work on and look blank when you ask them about Code First or design by contract or dependency injection are the ones that perpetuate the disastrous systems that inhabit most larger companies, they repeat the mistakes that were fixed a decade ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X