• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Having a kip in the car at lunchtimes"

Collapse

• TheBruce
    replied
    you guys are nutters

Yep getting your 8 hours sleep per day is more difficult than it seems, but it is actually extremely important to our long term health too - look it up!

I would snooze for about 20 mins in the loo's - not the most pleasant of places to sleep but got the job done.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Call me an unsociable bugger but I'm not one for spending my unpaid lunchtime making polite conversation or talking about work over some dodgy canteen meal.

I like to leave the office for 30 mins or so at least, grab a sarnie, chill in the car, have a kip etc.

Had a bit of a scary experience a few years ago. Was sitting in the car in a quiet corner of big retail park reading paper, eating sarnie.
    Noticed a car had pulled up a few cars down and I glanced over and there was a fella in the drivers seat but there was some sort of bobbing movement there also. Then a young ladies head rose out of his lap.

They both turned and looked at me, not in an annoyed, what you looking at sort of way, but in a weird way. Needless to say I started up the car and drove away. (maybe if I'd been into the dogging thing it would have turned out differently !!!) :-)

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The Japanese pop into their local coffee shop and sleep with their head on the table.
    Don't they have places, lined with rows of small mattress-filled soundproof pods, where they can just "nip" in for a quick 40 winks?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I was on a project where one of the contractors used to position himself at the back of the meeting room next to the wall for a snooze during the endless kick-off meetings on a large integration project.

He only lasted a week, was that anyone on here?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The Japanese pop into their local coffee shop and sleep with their head on the table.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    Sleeping while awake

Originally posted by CiderEagle View Post
    painting a pair of realistic looking eyes on your eyelids / glasses and then sleeping in meetings.

Everything I learned about life, I learned from Homer Simpson, basically.
    In banks in asia i have seen blokes apparently sleeping in meetings while sitting up straight. Apparently its acceptable and they are not really sleeping but kind of meditating.

I saw this one Thai bloke sitting opposite me and his eyeballs were rolling back like he was high as hell. But as soon as his name was mentioned he was straight "back in the room"

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    WTF has it got to do with the client? You dont get paid for lunchtime do you?

I have a kip nearly every lunchtime on the client's car park. Hasnt stopped me working for them in nearly 5 years on 3 separate contracts.
    "on the client's car park"??
    I bet you work up a few times with tyre tread marks across your back

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    About 6-7 years ago at the Inland Revenue, some of the permies used to roll in to work just before 10am, play about 20 mins of freecell and then get straight down the canteen and slump in the corner. Sleep for about 2 hours and then have lunch, go upstairs and do a couple of hours freecell/staring at the screen and knock off around 3:30. Not sure if they still do this.
    I think they have subsequently lost this trojan work ethic, and let things go a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    About 6-7 years ago at the Inland Revenue, some of the permies used to roll in to work just before 10am, play about 20 mins of freecell and then get straight down the canteen and slump in the corner. Sleep for about 2 hours and then have lunch, go upstairs and do a couple of hours freecell/staring at the screen and knock off around 3:30. Not sure if they still do this.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I have a kip nearly every lunchtime on the client's car park. Hasnt stopped me working for them in nearly 5 years on 3 separate contracts.
    Yeah but to be fair, McDonalds take much less keen an interest in what the odd Johnny Two Stars might do in his downtime. They are probably just glad you have given up knocking one out in the gents.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Recently I've been very tired in the mornings, purely as a result of an inability to go to bed on time the night before.

As my contract is in a fairly rural location I've just been driving to a layby next to a field at lunchtimes and having a 30-minute snooze on the back seats - I do have to say it perks me up quite well. Haven't YET been caught by the client.

Still it is a little more civilised than my previous contract, where I was kipping in the well of a shower cubical down in the basement, and the floor of a vacant floor of the office building (a bit dusty that one).

Anyone else have any interesting locations for tactical somnolence (power napping)?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I used to have a tactical snooze in the server room when I was a permie
    Wasn't it too cold? I use to keep my shopping in the server room at one place I worked at. Mind you the roof was nice for a nap in the summer ....."just nipping to the roof to check the transmitter......." worked every time

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Nipping out at lunchtime to hang around remote rural laybys? Isn't that 'dogging'?
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 23 June 2011, 22:07.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It depends if you cum across some other people having sex.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Four hour commute so I sleep on the train going home. Also the occasional 5 min power nap as a top up in the Gents during the day as well to be honest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X