• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Summer is over

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Summer is over"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Majorca is known for having dodgy tasting water.
    Same with Ibiza where the water is claimed to be drinkable, but has a high salt content. Given that fresh water costs around 1 Euro for 5 litres there (and commonly much more), it's a shame we can't pump proper English drinking water to the Spanish, who in return send back their salty dish water warmed by the Spanish sun, which we can use for bathing in or something.

How much does it cost to pump water through say a 1 m pipe per kilometre anyway?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    The water quality is good too - you can't say that in every place in Spain.
    Majorca is known for having dodgy tasting water.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Seville's meant to be a great place, but the heat in summer is unbearable for many. Granada is another possible, but the airport is quite small. You may prefer Malaga - good air links to the UK, and close to many resorts on the coast. Problem is, the closer to the coast, the more chance you have of living next to UK expats and the prices are higher. Renting long-term is meant to be v cheap at the mo., so you can take your time looking around for a more permanent base.
    Another option is Madrid, or one of the commuter towns outside the city. Great infrastructure, lots of gigs, museums, shops etc. It gets a little chilly in winter, but nothing to bother a Scot, and the sunshine makes up for cold winds in December. Good wine, tasty tapas and vibrant nightlife are taken for granted in Madrid. The water quality is good too - you can't say that in every place in Spain. Drawbacks of Madrid - accommodation is more expensive, and pickpockets are rife in the central tourist areas. Oh - almost forgot - Valencia is a great place if you like warm weather, and don't mind rubbish water.
    Definitley considering Spain as permanent or semi-permanent move.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Did you learn to play Cordoba? Magical place, nice people too.
    Haven't tackled that one yet was trying to get to grips with Recuerdos de la Alhambra (and still am).

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Non stop rain and the same for the rest of the week (and past six weeks). Time to seek out pastures new methinks.

Suggestions welcome.
    I'm really sick and fed up of this weather. I always used to look forward to the summer but these past few years the same depressing pattern seems to have established itself every year.

Apparently it's the jet stream sitting further south than it should & it blows in one depression after another. Even when it's not raining, there's a damn gale blowing.

Anyhow, got soaked at the weekend & am consequently sat here with a screaming sore throat feeling like sh!t. Wouldn't mind so much if it were the middle of February but the fact it's supposed to be summer & I feel like this really sticks in my craw.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I understand property in Spain has got a lot cheaper recently.
    I think it's going to got a lot cheaper yet otherwise I'd be in there by now.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Hell?
    Nah, it would be even rainier in Hell

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Ooh, I had a master guitar class there. Was a bit too hot but I could cope with that now I think.
    Seville's meant to be a great place, but the heat in summer is unbearable for many. Granada is another possible, but the airport is quite small. You may prefer Malaga - good air links to the UK, and close to many resorts on the coast. Problem is, the closer to the coast, the more chance you have of living next to UK expats and the prices are higher. Renting long-term is meant to be v cheap at the mo., so you can take your time looking around for a more permanent base.
    Another option is Madrid, or one of the commuter towns outside the city. Great infrastructure, lots of gigs, museums, shops etc. It gets a little chilly in winter, but nothing to bother a Scot, and the sunshine makes up for cold winds in December. Good wine, tasty tapas and vibrant nightlife are taken for granted in Madrid. The water quality is good too - you can't say that in every place in Spain. Drawbacks of Madrid - accommodation is more expensive, and pickpockets are rife in the central tourist areas. Oh - almost forgot - Valencia is a great place if you like warm weather, and don't mind rubbish water.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I understand property in Spain has got a lot cheaper recently.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Ooh, I had a master guitar class there. Was a bit too hot but I could cope with that now I think.
    Did you learn to play Cordoba? Magical place, nice people too.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I moved out of there.
    Had you car keys nicked?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Hell?
    I moved out of there.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Non stop rain and the same for the rest of the week (and past six weeks). Time to seek out pastures new methinks.

Suggestions welcome.
    Hell?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Andalucia.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Nice round my way today. Fair bit of sun, and 20 degrees driving home this evening.
    It was raining!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Suggestions welcome.
    Andalucia.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X