• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Changing the Subject...: Who's got a Satellite Navigator"

Collapse

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Seems like these thinks can aid with extreme sports as well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/4879026.stm

Drivers following satellite navigation systems through a village called Crackpot have been directed along a track at the edge of a 100ft cliff. ...
    "It's only a matter of time before something happens - and it's a 100ft drop over the edge."

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Gone live, gone live, gone live.

Oh, and that reminds me, the new TomTom kit went on sale yesterday.

New ones are numbered like 310, 510 and 910 IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• beep
    replied
    Combo

I use a combination of a map and a TomTom 300.

SatNav seems best when you are alone in the car, perhaps in a built up City that you don't know.

I also love how they can recalculate the route if you avoid a traffic jam.

Try that with a map when you're alone in the car.

Actually, I see loads of people reading their maps using the steering wheel as a book holder.....

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I've got a PDA with a built in GPS receiver which works really well but it canes the PDA battery if you run it off battery rather than the power socket in the car. Not suitable for bikes or cars. However, being a Pocket PC it's eligible to go through the books.

There was a cracked version of Tom Tom 5 doing the rounds a while ago (apparently) if you want to evaluate it before buying.

The Ozzy Osbourne voice skin is very funny as well.

Leave a comment:

• freshblue
    replied
    Just ordered TelMap SatNav bundle for my BalckBerry, had a TTG for a while but trying to reduce the amount of kit!

TelMap for BlackBerry

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Does anyone know of a sililar device that is a) usable while cycling and b) covers footpaths, bridleways, byways etc?

Looking for summat I can use when I go out into the wilds on the bike so I know where I am going and when I stack it into a tree or a boulder and knacker myself I can tell them where I am to come rescue me
    TomTom do a software-only version that runs nicely on my smartphone (MDA Vario). Then you just buy yourself the no-name brand bluetooth GPS receiver from www.mobilefun.co.uk and Bob's your uncle.

The receiver can take a couple of minutes to work out where it is when you first turn it on, don't know if that's typical, but other than that it works nicely from my pocket when I'm cycling around London.

I tried it on the train to Reading once and even though the railway line was on the map it would refuse to believe it was on the train and would jump from road to road on either side of the tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    just invested in a TomTom 300, should double the value of the Skoda.
    No, you need to fill it up with petrol for that.

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    you got a Merc, you flash git !

Milan.
    Jealousy is such an unattractive trait Milan

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Does anyone know of a sililar device that is a) usable while cycling and b) covers footpaths, bridleways, byways etc?

Looking for summat I can use when I go out into the wilds on the bike so I know where I am going and when I stack it into a tree or a boulder and knacker myself I can tell them where I am to come rescue me
    TomTom do one for motorbikes that I have tried on a bike and it does footpaths etc. if you tell it you are now on foot. Problem is giving it power, supposed to be 6 hours, but I'm not sure it did, maybe didn't charge it enough, and I have been known to cycle for much longer.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    Mercedes own system - state of the art super duper system and as annoying as f**k -
    Par for the course then.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you got a Merc, you flash git !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• John Galt
    replied
    Mercedes own system - state of the art super duper system and as annoying as f**k -

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Churchill: I write as I speak, but I am glad you don't, seeing as you tend to talk out yer arse.
    It's not surprising that you fat feckers get picked on!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you got me there !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    thanks for the feedback,

and now for the good news,

got it for the bargain price of 349.99 Euros at Lidl this morning, and including the Western European maps cd's.

Seems like the price is reasonable when I check the prices on Amazon and totalpda etc.

Milan.
    Should have bought a box full and ebayed them then shouldnt you! Doh! Some people have no business sense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X