• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "F***ing banks (LTSB specifically)"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I use a DD card for online, but its a subsidiary account with 100 quid at any one time and no overdraft, never had a problem so far. is that safe ?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    We are of course assuming that AtW can get a credit card.
    He can get a Sofa from DFS, can't he? Ooops, maybe you're right.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    WDP & other sensible users have said + 1;
    We are of course assuming that AtW can get a credit card.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Use a credit card and simply pay it off in full every month. You will get buyers and fraud protection and you can get cards that give you cash back/airmiles, the more you spend the more you get and you'll improve your credit rating by paying it off every month by direct debit.

HTH
    WDP & other sensible users have said + 1;

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You shouldn't be making internet transactions with a debit card as you have no buyers protection and full liability if someone nicks the details.

HTH
    Not true. The protection is there if you know how to use it (and have a Visa Debit instead of crappy Maestro).

The majority of us are now aware of the benefits of using our credit cards in terms of the protection it offers us in the event the supplier is unable to offer the goods and services we have paid for.

But did you know that you can also claim the money back if you have paid on your Visa Debit card? And unlike your credit card, which imposes a minimum spend of £100, you can claim back any amount of money.

The process is called Visa Debit Chargeback, and, as the name suggests, is a procedure in which the banks will ‘charge back’ the value of the original transaction directly from the supplier’s bank, and pass this amount on to you.

All banks who issue Visa cards have only recently agreed to process chargeback requests, and there is still widespread confusion over what it is and how it works. Therefore if you meet a dead end in your discussions with bank staff, persist. The facility is there for you to take advantage of.

Invoking the chargeback procedure

If you suspect your card has been used fraudulently, if the goods and services you bought with your card are faulty or if they do not materialise, then you should contact the bank who has provided you with your Visa debit card within 120 days, requesting they initiate the chargeback process. It does not mean you will automatically and immediately get your money back. It will initially become a ‘dispute’ in which the claim will be fully investigated by both banks before any money is returned.
    Visa Debit Chargeback - The Facts | Consumer Information

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I can understand they can decline suspicious transaction, but what I expect is that when I call them and they check it's me using all normal saferguards, then they should stop this tulip and let me spend my money. It did not happen this time - they said nothing they can do that would prevent further declines on that day. Just how fecked up is that? I call in and say it's ok to spend my money and they keep declining it.
    You bank with LTSB part of the largest banking group in the country. If they rang up every customer who had a suspicious transaction they would need an entire call centre for it.

If you want a institution to ring you up about your debit card if they spot something unusual then get a current account with a small building society.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So if you have a history of buying loads of Amazon goods on your card a few times a year then the bank shouldn't be interested.
    I can understand they can decline suspicious transaction, but what I expect is that when I call them and they check it's me using all normal saferguards, then they should stop this tulip and let me spend my money. It did not happen this time - they said nothing they can do that would prevent further declines on that day. Just how fecked up is that? I call in and say it's ok to spend my money and they keep declining it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Yes, I've done that for business card will do for personal.

I generally only pay using credit card only to people I don't like - like council tax or unknown company. Don't like credit cards because they stitch up merchants who process them
    The majority of councils actually charge you an extra 1-2.5% if you pay by credit card so it's better to pay by DD, bank transfer or online using a debit card. (One reason to have more than one current account.)

Anyway the reason the bank won't tell you how many transactions you can do before they decline them or get the merchant to check up on you, is because there is no fix amount.

It depends on your normal spending pattern.

So if you have a history of buying loads of Amazon goods on your card a few times a year then the bank shouldn't be interested. However if the last time you did this was 3 years ago then their fraud detection system would flag this up.

In regards to debit cards it's you who loses the money up front and has to fight to get it back from the bank. There as with credit cards it's the card company who loses the money.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    A couple of thoughts about online poker..

1. How? I thought poker was mostly about being a real pokerface - three aces!!! Per Bill and Ted...

2. When I worked at a certain hosting company who hosted these sites, certain Russians DOS'd the sites and it was quicker, easier and cheaper to pay them off. £15k a pop...

3. Another person itk told me a lot of the big players on online poker etc are bored professional footy players who can't bet personally. Sounds like bollocks but has a 'maybe' about it....
    1. Online poker at the lower level and f2f poker are two totally different games. Online is all odds and understanding the possible combinations and out possibilities. F2F is all of that plus the ability to read or hide faces (depending on where you're sitting) and you can do (and see) things with bet sizing that assist your ability to read or force players to do things. Online at low level cash games that is harder to do. What I mean by that is you can't bully someone with a 'twice the pot' $2 bet online whereas you can bully someone f2f with a 'twice the pot' bet of $5K !! If you watch half a dozen hands on an online game you can usually read how someone plays because you only see their actions rather than their facial and other reactions.

3. You get all kinds of people on online poker. People who watch poker channel and think they could be good, big time gamblers, probably bored footy players too. It's also well known in some circles that you get poker pros playing on low level cash games because they can rake an unbelievable amount of cash from the noobs.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    A couple of thoughts about online poker..

1. How? I thought poker was mostly about being a real pokerface - three aces!!! Per Bill and Ted...

2. When I worked at a certain hosting company who hosted these sites, certain Russians DOS'd the sites and it was quicker, easier and cheaper to pay them off. £15k a pop...

3. Another person itk told me a lot of the big players on online poker etc are bored professional footy players who can't bet personally. Sounds like bollocks but has a 'maybe' about it....

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    WDPS +102.

I NEVER use my debit card to buy anything on the internet, it's astoundingly stupid to do so, doubly so when there's plenty of protection offered by credit cards as they're required to do so by regulation and international agreement.

I've got a crappy Capital One credit card that I exclusively use for internet purchases and they've provided excellent service on a couple of occasions by capturing oddball fraud attempts and instantly refunded on a purchase that came through which wasn't mine.

Using a debit card opens up your current account to fraud attacks, it's ludicrous to use one on the internet if you have a credit card.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    WDPS +101

I'll take it all the way up to the new CEO of Lloyds TSB

Good luck with that. Give Antonio my best regards.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'm playing real people.
    Cash or tournament ?

If you're half decent at poker you can take in decent money on 10c/20c cash tables if you can concentrate and read the donks, but I prefer sin'n'go tourneys (where one piece of bad luck/lack of concentration won't knock you out).

$25 sit'n'go is usually a reasonable standard of player but when you get used to it you can play four tourneys at a time.

It is possible though (and I do it regularly) to play $5 or $10 sit'n'go tourneys and sit out until the final three then start playing (albeit you'll be short stacked). If you get third place, you don't lose any money and if you get second or first you'll be up. Small amounts right enough, but it's all about the competition.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    As the Mexicans say, there are three kinds of fools in the World: Those who dance with their wife, those who drink with their boss, and those who play online poker.

Those flushes are just the computer's way of reeling you in, like a gulping, gullible guppy on the end of a line.
    Isn't a guppy a small, pathetic little victim of a fish? Barely worth the effort of a kiddies hand net, let alone rod and reel?

Oh I see what you've done there...............

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    As the Mexicans say, there are three kinds of fools in the World: Those who dance with their wife, those who drink with their boss, and those who play online poker.

Those flushes are just the computer's way of reeling you in, like a gulping, gullible guppy on the end of a line.
    I'm playing real people.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X