• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Letting a project fail"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    What my sockie said
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Take two sockies in to the shower?

Well yes? Rowley to bend down and get the soap, while Suityou films what happens?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Take two sockies in to the shower?

Well yes? Rowley to bend down and get the soap, while Suityou films what happens?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by RowleyBirkinQC View Post
    bulltulipter
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• RowleyBirkinQC
    replied
    Aahh decent banter, thank fook. This MF sort is a bit of a bedwetter.
    bulltulipter

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Would a "winner" have followed a gormless cycling numpty with the directional skills of a headless chicken halfway round Bedfordshire though? Or would that better describe something else that starts with a "W" and ends in "er"?

Aahh decent banter, thank fook. This MF sort is a bit of a bedwetter.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Fook me. You must be fooking hopeless at your job. At no point does in this thread does it say I worked 40 hours a week, you've done that assumption thing again.

I would spend about 16 hours per week on tat. 40 hours contracting and 15 hour driving to multiple contracts. The missus worked 20 hours and I had staff for the others. So basically it would make 35/40k before wages. On the basis of hours,i didn't take a 'paid' salary because I'm paying everyone else and so what's left is profit.

So the shop was making 35/40k before wages and I was paying out 28k in wages. So as a one person business 35/40k is actually OK. But for a contractor. It's pants. (the previous shops would make 25-30k per year after wages)

So I've simplified now. 10 minute round trip to work. No expenses, decent day rate. So for now Plan B is Plan A (as SC would say) and time with the kids.

(What it does mean is, I will always be able to fall back on a 40k a year job as a minimum when I'm 50/60/70. To be honest I don't think that's bad)
    So it failed.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    A winner would have turned things around.
    Would a "winner" have followed a gormless cycling numpty with the directional skills of a headless chicken halfway round Bedfordshire though? Or would that better describe something else that starts with a "W" and ends in "er"?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Interesting. So you worked enough hours yourself to justify a high salary. 40hrs a week at least I would say. How did you manage this while running multiple contracts?

Oh and btw if the shop wasn't making enough money and you decided to close this still fits in the fail category. A winner would have turned things around.
    Fook me. You must be fooking hopeless at your job. At no point does in this thread does it say I worked 40 hours a week, you've done that assumption thing again.

I would spend about 16 hours per week on tat. 40 hours contracting and 15 hour driving to multiple contracts. The missus worked 20 hours and I had staff for the others. So basically it would make 35/40k before wages. On the basis of hours,i didn't take a 'paid' salary because I'm paying everyone else and so what's left is profit.

So the shop was making 35/40k before wages and I was paying out 28k in wages. So as a one person business 35/40k is actually OK. But for a contractor. It's pants. (the previous shops would make 25-30k per year after wages)

So I've simplified now. 10 minute round trip to work. No expenses, decent day rate. So for now Plan B is Plan A (as SC would say) and time with the kids.

(What it does mean is, I will always be able to fall back on a 40k a year job as a minimum when I'm 50/60/70. To be honest I don't think that's bad)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Forced?

What on earth makes you come to that conclusion?

The problem with making assumptions is, that it makes an ass out of you, and in your case, still an ass.

I didn't have a shop not that wasn't making money. It just didn't make enough money to cover my time on it, versus other stuff. It worked out at about 35/40k a year all in. To me that's just not good enough.
    Interesting. So you worked enough hours yourself to justify a high salary. 40hrs a week at least I would say. How did you manage this while running multiple contracts?

Oh and btw if the shop wasn't making enough money and you decided to close this still fits in the fail category. A winner would have turned things around.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    So if I started doing something because I wanted to, and was forced to stop doing that thing, one could say I failed at doing that thing.
    Forced?

What on earth makes you come to that conclusion?

The problem with making assumptions is, that it makes an ass out of you, and in your case, still an ass.

I didn't have a shop not that wasn't making money. It just didn't make enough money to cover my time on it, versus other stuff. It worked out at about 35/40k a year all in. To me that's just not good enough.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Sorry. Do do you not understand?

I re-opened a tat shop three years ago, paid the wife for three years a salary + covered the childcare, had a bit of beer money, got a few tax rebates('for losses') and when I shut it down I landed up with 25k more cash than I started with.

Clear u ?

So no, I don't run a tat shop anymore.
    So if I started doing something because I wanted to, and was forced to stop doing that thing, one could say I failed at doing that thing.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Tat's entertainment

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    So you still run the Tat shop?
    Sorry. Do do you not understand?

I re-opened a tat shop three years ago, paid the wife for three years a salary + covered the childcare, had a bit of beer money, got a few tax rebates('for losses') and when I shut it down I landed up with 25k more cash than I started with.

Clear u ?

So no, I don't run a tat shop anymore.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Nope.

Annoyingly came out 25-30k ahead(yet to finish the accounts)

Oh btw. I've got $15 dollar here and a broken laptop. Dance monkey . Dance!
    So you still run the Tat shop?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X