• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is keeping current a concern for you?"

Collapse

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Typo, or just grammatically incompetent?

I'm sure you have the entire boards utmost respect.
    Typo, the entire board? I couldn't care less, I know the people that respect me are the non bw posters.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    A bedwetter is a bedwetter, the shall have no respect regardless of their job title.
    Typo, or just grammatically incompetent?

I'm sure you have the entire boards utmost respect.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Shush lowly UAT tester, you're talking to a developer here. 'ave some rispeck innit.
    A bedwetter is a bedwetter, the shall have no respect regardless of their job title.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Why? Is it at SilentNight?
    Shush lowly UAT tester, you're talking to a developer here. 'ave some rispeck innit.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I got a telephone interview for the VB6 gig. It's taken a couple of days for this, whereas I would have thought after one look at my CV they would have been wetting themselves to hire me.
    Why? Is it at SilentNight?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I got a telephone interview for the VB6 gig. It's taken a couple of days for this, whereas I would have thought after one look at my CV they would have been wetting themselves to hire me.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't know where you get the idea I "wimped out at the first sign of competition". I simply stated a belief that there is more money to be made in less competitive environments. "Less efficient markets" might be a better phrase. So might "less mature markets with less established players and a lower cost of entry".

With most opportunities to make money the cost of entry goes up as time passes and there are more established players to take on. Hence my assertion that you are better off finding something "less competitive" i.e. hunting out an unexploited niche with a lower cost of entry and getting in early.

With daytrading particularly, you are often looking at exploiting market inefficiency, and you are going to be up against people playing the same game with more money, more computational sophistication and quicker trade execution. These people make the market more efficient and reduce your chances of success considerably.

The people who are really making money out of daytrading are the ones who are selling the dream, IMO, but good luck with it all the same.
    I think I got the wrong end of the stick, sorry doodab, good post, I agree with everything you said. Markets like FX and futures are very efficient but individual stocks can act inefficiently and there are 1000's of them.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I like mediocre.

It got me where I am today.

Listening to the guy upstairs practicing his golf swing.

I think he sliced that last one.
    I don't do mediocre. I do golf.

Now if you don't mind not breathing as loudly and stop grinding your teeth down there as you're putting me off, then I'm going knock this one 300 yards.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I have already started designing it, if it fails then at least I will have tried and not wimped out at the first sign of competition. Don't worry the world need people like you to do the mundane tasks and take the mediocre path.
    I don't know where you get the idea I "wimped out at the first sign of competition". I simply stated a belief that there is more money to be made in less competitive environments. "Less efficient markets" might be a better phrase. So might "less mature markets with less established players and a lower cost of entry".

With most opportunities to make money the cost of entry goes up as time passes and there are more established players to take on. Hence my assertion that you are better off finding something "less competitive" i.e. hunting out an unexploited niche with a lower cost of entry and getting in early.

With daytrading particularly, you are often looking at exploiting market inefficiency, and you are going to be up against people playing the same game with more money, more computational sophistication and quicker trade execution. These people make the market more efficient and reduce your chances of success considerably.

The people who are really making money out of daytrading are the ones who are selling the dream, IMO, but good luck with it all the same.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Do you really think that having a pipe dream of having a computer make you money using "some kind of automated trading using statistical analysis" makes you some kind of balls out thrillseeker?

The only risk you are taking is that you'll be dead before you ever do anything about it.
    I have already started designing it, if it fails then at least I will have tried and not wimped out at the first sign of competition. Don't worry the world need people like you to do the mundane tasks and take the mediocre path.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I've never had the time or capital for day trading but I made and lost several tens of thousands in the dot com frenzy.

Overall I made more money at online poker, once I learnt to stick to the low value tables and play the numbers. It's a lot of effort for not much reward though.

Both of these are very competitive , and quite risky, so although there are a few people who do very well most people don't. I am of the opinion that it's better to seek out a less competitive niche because it's easier to make money at it.

Personally I don't bother with get rich quick schemes any more, I would rather channel my efforts into making something I can sell & grow that into something that provides a living & generates a bit of surplus for long term value investments.
    I had chat with a very interesting business man.
    He told me if you go into business, you can only get rich if you 'steal' money from other people.
    Don't pay your workers what they are worth, don't pay the tax man etc.
    If you are in business and pay everyone, you will only make a good living.
    Why be in business with all the problems and risk if you only make a good living, you can work for someone else and make a good living without the problems and risk.

At the time I was a partner in a business employing 16 people, I am not the type of person to steal, so within a few months I sold my share of the business. No regrets.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Do you really think that having a pipe dream of having a computer make you money using "some kind of automated trading using statistical analysis" makes you some kind of balls out thrillseeker?

The only risk you are taking is that you'll be dead before you ever do anything about it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I am fairly risk averse. Snowboarding off piste is about as risky as I get these days.

No doubt you are going to impress us all with stories of unprotected anal sex with eastern european truckers.
    He told you about this as well.
    Which reminds me Suityou, I need to bring your 'The European Truckers guide to Dogging Layby HandBook' back.

When I said I was going to drive to Germany with my Golden Retriever you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I am fairly risk averse. Snowboarding off piste is about as risky as I get these days.

No doubt you are going to impress us all with stories of unprotected anal sex with eastern european truckers.
    He told you about this as well.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied

Is this you?

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/wordp...ie-corbett.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X