• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would it take for another general election to be held?"

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    You really are the devil, aren't you LB? You'll keep me awake tonight with that sort of talk.

Is there any hard evidence of gerrymandering by this government? If so, surely something can be done about it - or have they been very clever in covering their tracks?
    Unfortunately, in this case, the devil doesn't have all the best tunes.

I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about gerrymandering. It's a time-honoured political procedure as old as politics itself.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    you a hairy legged caber tosser
    I've been called that before but that's the first time anybody's specified what kind.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Heard an interview with a guy from the electoral commission a few weeks ago. He reckoned that with the way the constituency borders are currently arranged, Labour could get a minority of the popular vote but still command a parliamentary majority. He also said that even after the 2008 re-arrangement, he thought it was "virtually impossible" for labour not to win.
    You really are the devil, aren't you LB? You'll keep me awake tonight with that sort of talk.

Is there any hard evidence of gerrymandering by this government? If so, surely something can be done about it - or have they been very clever in covering their tracks?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    OK Taff I'll let you off. Christ knows why. But we are just about the only 2 peoples in this corner of Europe that have never fought each other.
    Too far away!

Anyway, I think we should rejoice in our separate ethnic identities: you a hairy legged caber tosser, and I a sheep-shagging troglodyte.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Heard an interview with a guy from the electoral commission a few weeks ago. He reckoned that with the way the constituency borders are currently arranged, Labour could get a minority of the popular vote but still command a parliamentary majority. He also said that even after the 2008 re-arrangement, he thought it was "virtually impossible" for labour not to win.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    Can't say I understand this business of Scots thinking that Scotland is dominated by the English.
    Apologies, I realise that in my post I'm not answering your question. It's a long answer, it's late, and I've got a lot to do. Sorry. I'll do the full half-hour argument some other time

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Can't say I understand this business of Scots thinking that Scotland is dominated by the English. After all, a county like Norfolk is in the same position, in that it subsumes to the will of Parliament most of whose members are not Norfolkians. I suspect we English have to much scorn and cynicism of politicians to want our own regional assemblies despite Thumper Prescott's best efforts.
    Well, the essence I suppose is what you feel part of. If the carrot-farmers feel English all the way through then they are.

The same goes within Scotland, which is far from monolithic: there is a certain cynicism about handing everything over to Edinburgh lawyers instead of Islington lawyers, does it make a difference? But it does, because the location and scope of the legislature is not the whole thing.

As for the regional assemblies, I think that paradoxically that is a way to keep the UK together. Scottish devolution is not stable as it is, it will tend to grow; and going back is not an option, so a federal system is on the cards. But a federal arrangement with such an imbalance in size as between England and Scotland is not likely to last. Hence the regional assembly option. It doesn't interest me because I want to see Scottish independence, and England's governance thereafter is not my business; but if I were for the union I'd be interested.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    An edge? In what way? Only being independent stops you from being a minor province, which automatically carries all the negative aspects with it (I don't mean that the English people in general want to exploit Scotland, on the contrary I realise that they personally are prepared to subsidise "the regions" - I just think it doesn't work out that way).

And Brown (to name the biggest one) is so keen on being PM of the UK that he'll do anything to prove he's not in any way anything other than British.

BTW
    1. Don't you think the term "sweaties" is insulting?
    2. Why are you doing that? Have I done anything to merit it, like insulting you?
    3. Jocko-land, same comment. Am I insulting England? I don't wish to.
    Can't say I understand this business of Scots thinking that Scotland is dominated by the English. After all, a county like Norfolk is in the same position, in that it subsumes to the will of Parliament most of whose members are not Norfolkians. I suspect we English have to much scorn and cynicism of politicians to want our own regional assemblies despite Thumper Prescott's best efforts.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    OK, right... Stockbridge is where the clothes in the charity shops are better than what you normall get new in the shops.
    Yep... council tax to match.....

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Hey - I'm Welsh.

I don't think you know the real meaning of 'insulting' unless you're Welsh.
    OK Taff I'll let you off. Christ knows why. But we are just about the only 2 peoples in this corner of Europe that have never fought each other.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Yup. Her mum introduced while I was in Ricks Bar getting through £1200 quids worth of champagne
    OK, right... Stockbridge is where the clothes in the charity shops are better than what you normall get new in the shops.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    BTW
    2. Why are you doing that? Have I done anything to merit it, like insulting you?
    Hey - I'm Welsh.

I don't think you know the real meaning of 'insulting' unless you're Welsh.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Well, look on the bright side - the cabinet is chock full of sweaties. You can't move for the feckers! If that doesn't give Jocko-land an edge, I don't know what does.
    An edge? In what way? Only being independent stops you from being a minor province, which automatically carries all the negative aspects with it (I don't mean that the English people in general want to exploit Scotland, on the contrary I realise that they personally are prepared to subsidise "the regions" - I just think it doesn't work out that way).

And Brown (to name the biggest one) is so keen on being PM of the UK that he'll do anything to prove he's not in any way anything other than British.

BTW

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    So can I! And as for the oil, if that's the price of freedom, it's a bargain. Unfortunately you have already had most of the oil but we don't have the freedom
    Well, look on the bright side - the cabinet is chock full of sweaties. You can't move for the feckers! If that doesn't give Jocko-land an edge, I don't know what does.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Once we've extracted and sold all of your oil, then you can go your own way. As for your oats and deep fried Mars bars, well we can survive without them
    So can I! And as for the oil, if that's the price of freedom, it's a bargain. Unfortunately you have already had most of the oil but we don't have the freedom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X