• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ConDems will solve the deficit"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Cretin, it would be UK banks, pension funds and other entities that hold UK gilts that go bust because they'll have massive write downs.
    That's their problem, not mine.

I won't go into your problems.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I bring the debt into democratic ownership You default He has had all overseas assets confiscated due to Vulture Fund legal action
    Cretin, it would be UK banks, pension funds and other entities that hold UK gilts that go bust because they'll have massive write downs.

Unions already go on strikes for smaller than expected salary increases, what do you think they'll do if they can't get paid? By the way in the event of state default foreign property of state (embassies for example) can be sold off to cover for it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I think you may find that the proper name for what you propose is "default".
    It's an irregular verb:

I bring the debt into democratic ownership
    You default
    He has had all overseas assets confiscated due to Vulture Fund legal action

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No. The other way is to nationalise the debt.
    I think you may find that the proper name for what you propose is "default".

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Isn't the only way not to pay for what you can't afford i.e. live within your means?
    And accept that the country is not as rich as it thinks.
    No. The other way is to nationalise the debt.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Just happened

Yes.
    Gold in Pounds hits new record high | 24 May 2011 | www.commodityonline.com | 3

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Just in

Chinese rating agency downgrades UK debt - Telegraph

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    And you Sir, haven't a clue. Good luck.
    Fortune favours prepared minds... no wonder CUK is full of sore losers

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No, you are just a bitter loser in a poorly paid job who can't think or see the future as it is unfolding.
    And you Sir, haven't a clue. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And you think owning gold is worse than holding sterling?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No, you are just a bitter loser in a poorly paid job who can't think or see the future as it is unfolding.
    Ignorance is a bliss.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    How the **** would you know? You're just a clueless bulltulip merchant.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    How the **** would you know? You're just a clueless bulltulip merchant.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You just need to work out a way of not borrowing any more. - i.e. deal with the deficit, which will be lower once interest payments are removed.
    Isn't the only way not to pay for what you can't afford i.e. live within your means?
    And accept that the country is not as rich as it thinks.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Too much of current spending is financed by debt, so you can't just put on hold a few big projects and stop borrowing.

Maybe this sort of tulip can be done in a euro zone because currency won't be devalued much, but given that UK is on its own with sterling it simply does not have this option. They'd rather print money than default - which is precisely what happens now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X