• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DNA Evidence - rights and wrongs"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Perhaps it will get to the stage where we have Time Cops (like Minority Report I guess) who jump ahead, check out the news of crimes, then jump back and stop them happening.

Eg....Following a review of the natural lifestream of Mr X, we can see that :

Age 5 : Pulled the wings off a butterfly
    Age 9 : Hit his sister in a sibling fight
    Age 13: Had his 1st cigarette
    Age 17: Sprayed a wall with graffit
    Age 21: Got drunk and smashed a shop window
    Age 27: Was paid too much change in a shop and didn't hand it back
    Age 32: Dodged a fare on a train
    Age 43: Kicked a dog
    Age 45: etc, etc

Based on this report, we can see that Mr X is a lifetime serial offender, and as such, recommend that the foetus be terminated, or prior to that, the parents be sterilised, or prior to that the grandparents being shot, or prior to that...ad infiniteum

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    In real life I have read studies where they try and infer certain markers by looking at you, and in others, going the other way, they can try and infer your surname from your DNA.

My favourite, that I keep mentioning, is if you like pictures of trees, forests that kinda thing, you're more likely to have a Germanic or Scandinavia background and if you find them scarey then you're more likely to be southern European.
    Yes, I have heard it said that it's a better predictor than eye colour. But is it genetic? I should have thought cultural.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I do appear to have built up a collection of them. Blessed things, two year old children given wings and a combination ice pick, file, tin snips with which to set out and destroy.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I have a fear of birds, but I hear that you like a cockatoo

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    In real life I have read studies where they try and infer certain markers by looking at you, and in others, going the other way, they can try and infer your surname from your DNA.

My favourite, that I keep mentioning, is if you like pictures of trees, forests that kinda thing, you're more likely to have a Germanic or Scandinavia background and if you find them scarey then you're more likely to be southern European.

Leave a comment:

• sparklelard
    replied
    Does anyone watch CSI? These guys can get your DNA by just looking at you now!

Leave a comment:

• maximus
    replied
    Originally posted by eternalnomad
    Perhaps they would, but we can all predict the total shambles that further tampering by this government would produce.

Maybe they could even sterilise certain children at birth if they had genes which showed they were going to be "disabled" in later life or carried genes that could lead to disabled offspring.

The definition of what "disabled" actually means could be varied according to political aims at the time.
    That's quite a leap to get from databases for solving crime to Eugenics, but we do already practice a form of Eugenics with amniocentesis testing during the early stages of pregnancy - is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Leave a comment:

• miss marple
    replied
    I know all too well that DNA is the current 'hot babe' of the Police. When my car was broken into not that long ago I suggested to the Police that they might like to take fingerprints of the items that were moved within the car but not actually stolen.

The answer was 'Nah, they'll only bother if there's the possibly of a DNA trace'

So there we have it guys and gals. The bottom is quickly falling out of the glove market. It seems fingerprints aren't worth bothering about anymore.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Around about the time of the Black Death: there weren't enough serfs left to go around & they demanded better wages etc.
    Sounds about right, but technically feudal tenure wasn't abolished until 1925 in England (and Wales?), and not until 2000 in Scotland.

Talking about DNA sampling, the Government are always on the lookout for "magic bullets". But their reliance on DNA will be sadly short-lived, as there are now computer-controlled machines which can churn it out like spaghetti and it's only a matter of time before some enterprising rogue biochemist starts making and selling "DNA confetti", with samples indistinguishable from the real thing from a thousand or even a million people which crooks can simply spray all over crime scenes to obliterate their own DNA!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    ... and the good ones went freelance to get a better deal. So the church believed the consultancy guilds who said they could outsource it for a tenth of the price: hence the centuries-long gaps between start and completion time for many European cathedrals.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Is that the voice of bitter experience there chico?

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Or give a bloke a blowjob in Islington Men's toilets - Chico

And are you upset about being knocked off the number 1 spot?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Or as the LA cop said to George Michael, No, it is a gun in my pocket.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    How long will it be before a micarriage occurs because someone elses cells were swabbed from a gob. Dont snog yer gf just before she goes out on a job

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Around about the time of the Black Death: there weren't enough serfs left to go around & they demanded better wages etc.
    ... and the good ones went freelance to get a better deal. So the church believed the consultancy guilds who said they could outsource it for a tenth of the price: hence the centuries-long gaps between start and completion time for many European cathedrals.

Leave a comment:

• eternalnomad
    replied
    Originally posted by maximus
    Perhaps they would then use that information to influence immigration policy!!
    Perhaps they would, but we can all predict the total shambles that further tampering by this government would produce.

Maybe they could even sterilise certain children at birth if they had genes which showed they were going to be "disabled" in later life or carried genes that could lead to disabled offspring.

The definition of what "disabled" actually means could be varied according to political aims at the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X