• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mileage rate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mileage rate"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Why do you answer

Why do fools fall in love
    Why do birds sing so gay
    Lover's awake at the break of day
    Why do they fall in love

Why does the rain fall from up above
    Why do they fall in love

Why does my heart skip with a crazy beat
    'Fore I know it will fail to beat
    Tell my why why
    Why do they fall in love

Doom Bopa Doom Bopa Doom Bopa Doo Dut
    Why do birds sing so gay
    Lover's awake at the break of day
    Why do they fall in love

Why does the rain fall from up above
    Why do they fall in love

Tell my why why
    Why do they fall in love

Tell my why why
    Why do FOOLS- fall- in- love

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
    My contract finishes next week anyway.....
    So why are you asking then?

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    My contract finishes next week anyway.....

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    I'll check.
    Glad to see you got the insurance thing sorted, its much less painful when you do it before an accident rather than after it.

And BTW I'd charge, or at the least say actually I don't mind travelling between two sites but I'm not carrying passengers

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I'll check.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    The client though says that their contract with my pimp says siteA and siteB and therefore they're not paying.
    Fine, but what does your contract with your agent say?

If it doesn't say the same thing you are entitled to decline it (or charge for doing it) and ultimately the agent will need to cought out of their own funds. This is one of the problems that can occur iwhey they sell something different to what is sold.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    OK guys, here's what I got from the insurance company:

Thank you for your recent e-mail. I have amended your policy to
    class 1
    business use at not extra cost to your policy. This will give
    you all the
    cover you have requested. I have also sent a new certificate of
    motor
    insurance.

The client though says that their contract with my pimp says siteA and siteB and therefore they're not paying.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    And if you are insured, unless it says otherwise I can't see that who or what you carry in your car makes any difference.
    Try telling an insurance company that you work in 'theatre' and your quote for business insurance will sky-rocket.

The company will assume that one day you will have David Copperfield in your car, have an accident, damage his hands and he will sue them for 100 Million in lost earnings.

Of course the guy who changes the light bulbs at the Blackburn Palais will never ever have David Copperfiled in his car, but the insurance company don't see it that way.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Chappo
    replied
    if i was asked to turn up at an office for 9am - then goto another office carrying the passenger then i would not have a problem with it as you are travelling in their work time -

if on the other hand i was asked to pick someone up from their home, then travel to another site for 9am - then yes i woul dexpect to charge the mileage

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I've asked the insurance co

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    My car is covered for business use and it does add a little to the premium.

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied

And if you are insured, unless it says otherwise I can't see that who or what you carry in your car makes any difference.
    It's an insurance policy - dreamt up by companies whose sole purpose is to try their best not to have to pay out except in a narrow band of circumstances. Of course it makes a difference.

There are a number of bandings of insurance and usually the conveyance of customers is generally excluded from most business usage cover. Since it isn't beyond the wit of man to extend this to chauffeur and taxi servicing. i.e. you pay may to read my paper and I'll drive you to work. Or you pay me to write code for you and I'll drive you to work!!!

Incidentally a lot of business insurance will cover you between your normal office and a designated place of work (which can change), but will not automatically cover you if once you arrive at your designated place you are asked to perform another journey i.e. to another site.

Unless you know the insurance industry inside out I suggest you stop treating it quite so simply. Its a minefield and they make their profits by people assuming.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I can't see that you're not insured. If using the car for business means it's for hire or reward, then having business use on your policy is meaningless if it also excludes hire or reward because even a permie is rewarded for making the trip.

Business use could have at least 3 levels:
    1 your journey to work
    2 your use during work
    3 use for carrying others in connection with work
    and that's before you get to being paid to carry passengers.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I can't see that you're not insured. If using the car for business means it's for hire or reward, then having business use on your policy is meaningless if it also excludes hire or reward because even a permie is rewarded for making the trip.

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Thanks guys. I'm only seeking about 25p per mile which is the IR approved rate. I'm not seeking any extra reward for carrying the passenger but I have made the point that I'm saving them his travel cost and time as he would otherwise have to go by public transport...

...also. there have been occasions when I could have gone straight nome from the customer but have had to travel back to base to drop the passenger off
    You may have only requested info about the mileage rate. However some eagle-eyed guys noticed a much bigger issue.

The issue that you probably aren't insured to carry a member of another companies staff in your car under your business insurance.

Phone your insurers and explain the situation pretty damn quickly. If you have a crash and you haven't explictly checked that what you are doing is covered they will not pay, and if anyone is hurt or other property damaged you'll be looking at visit to the local judge and whatever he decides to do to you.

We are not talking here about some opt-in opt-out, umbrella LTD, dividends PAYE moral argument here we are talking about something pretty damn serious that could really screw you, your passenger and anyone travelling the opposite way from you that gets hit in an accident. Act responsibly and check that you are covered.

Otherwise tell us the route so we can avoid it, cos if I'm going to be maimed in a crash I at least want to know that the other parties insurance company will pay for my ongoing treatment. In your case they might just not!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X