• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Household incomes in UK 'may return to 2004 levels'"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Quiz machines were a nice little earner at one bit. My brother and I used to clean up when we came across one; but we kept getting the evil eye from landlords so had to do it discretely. Eventually of course, some clever programmer decided to make the questions impossible (name the linesman's home town etc) and that pleasure disappeared.
    I saw a documentary on that. The blokes doing it had to travel to a different town every day because they'd get barred from any pub that knew them. The machine manufacturers, when interviewed, plonked down a dirty great computer printout and reckoned that anyone who could memorise that lot deserved to win.

Landlords of course didn't see it that way.

But if you were on the dole, which the programme's subjects were, why not?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    They did not teach you "theory of games" and "probabilities" in that school of yours?
    LOL! It's just struck me that my teachers wouldn't have been seen dead putting money on horses.

But they were all at it with stocks and shares.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Not true!

1 bedroom flat for sale in Earlsfield Road, Wandsworth, SW18

Just a few more years saving and scrimping mate.
    ******By order of the mortgagees in possession, we would advise that an offer has been made for the above property in the sum of £112,000. Any person wishing to increase on this offer should notify the selling agents of their best offer during the course of the next 7 days prior to exchange of contracts.********
    It's been repossessed. The address could have some bad credit history which could cause headaches for a would be occupier (includes BTL tenants).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    We were playing one machine at the pub and managed to get to the last question whilst still having chance to get £10 - the question was - "What's the building number of KGB HQ in Lubyanka Square?"

We only won £2 (it was possible to put money on different answers)

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    fixing being the operative word.

Amount of money I wasted on them bastards.

Quiz machines were a nice little earner at one bit. My brother and I used to clean up when we came across one; but we kept getting the evil eye from landlords so had to do it discretely. Eventually of course, some clever programmer decided to make the questions impossible (name the linesman's home town etc) and that pleasure disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    WTGLS

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The theory of games is that the house always wins.

There is no probability about that.
    WTGLS

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

They did not teach you "theory of games" and "probabilities" in that school of yours?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    My rate is up a lot on 2004.

When it was £6/hr for fixing fruitmachines.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    we all know that we're struggling to maintain the level of our rates or even get them higher,

but if you'd like a taste of real life for a few minutes,

read the comments to the story...

BBC News - Household incomes in UK 'may return to 2004 levels'

I know our rates are stagnating and not really rising but compared to others we're doing ok, but agreed that's not the point, for all oif us with much higher operating costs we should be passing these costs on in the form of higher rates

Milan.
    For many contractors rates have either plummeted, or disappeared totally and they are on the bench. Maybe you're the one who's out of touch with real life? Good luck to you if you're earning well (I sure you deserve it) but please don't assume everyone is so fortunate.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    now I see where the bitterness is coming from
    He was poor back then and decided to sell his nice villa in Cyprus.

Now he rents bedsit up grim north in Newcastle, but at least he's got a mil?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

I think one of the problems of moving ooooop north is knowing that you'll never ever be in a position to return to the property market in the saffff

have fun ooooop north

Milan.
    Not true!

1 bedroom flat for sale in Earlsfield Road, Wandsworth, SW18

Just a few more years saving and scrimping mate.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I'm living up north.

I think one of the problems of moving ooooop north is knowing that you'll never ever be in a position to return to the property market in the saffff

have fun ooooop north

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I'm so poor I'm living up north.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Speak for yourself!

In the 90's I was charging 80 per hour and now I'm charging 60 per hour and in that time everything has gone up about 4 times in price.

It's alright for you, you rich git, but some of us are on a steep decline mate.

Dim I dunno where you get this from, I'm poor, I'm one of the poorest here, we have a 2003 Passat ! I change tapes for .net projects.

Milan 'poor' Benes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X