• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UK today.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK today."

Collapse

• PRC1964
    replied
    What's wrong with the UK today?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    "taken to the cleaners"

HTH
    Aye Fungus

In this context he was in fact taken by rather than to the cleaners, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    We are blessed with what must be one of the shortest stretches of 30mph in the country. Why are there not reminders on the lamp posts as there should be where lamp posts are present but the limit is other than 30mph?

don't answer that: we all know the reason: it's to catch more "criminals"...
    Your concern for these ape-descended primitives is admirable, o trusty minion. By the way, don't forget to charge up the transmat so that we can get to work tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    We are blessed with what must be one of the shortest stretches of 30mph in the country.

Road comes down a hill: 40mph limit.

At bottom of hill about 40 yds from roundabout: 30mph.

10 yds further on: 20mph.

Why do 20mph signs not have the required red circle like all other speed limit signs?

Why are there not reminders on the lamp posts as there should be where lamp posts are present but the limit is other than 30mph?

don't answer that: we all know the reason: it's to catch more "criminals"...

t's a 20 mph zone not a 20 mph limit by the sound of it. If it were a 20 mph limit then there is a minimum distance of 30 before it.

Info on signage requirements here:-

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_limit_signs.htm

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    UK urban public space has become very much like urban space in the United States (grotty and unkempt)

Some trends I have noticed:
    - function always take precedence over form
    - walled housing estates
    - unmaintained street furniture
    - little consideration for pedestrians (pavements that abruptly stop)
    - primacy of the motor car (although this is a long term trend, it's dominance of the landscape continues no matter what politicians say - storing up problems for the future)
    - dilapidated road signage and, perversely, in some places, superflouous road signage.
    - the 'Docklands effect' (1) vast swathes of new build lego houses BUT NOT A SOUL ANYWHERE! (2) poorly designed fenestration; low ratio of windows to brickwork

and finally

- nobody gives a sh!t about these things except me.
    "dilapidated road signage "

Come to Luton and you will enjoy bad signage:

Speed limit signs placed only at the junction of a road with a roundabout, where you don't see them because you are concentrating on other traffic for reasons of safety. I've twice nearly received a speeding fine due to not realising the limit on a dual carriageway had dropped from 40 to 30.

Road lanes that are left turn only, except you don't know that until the car in front moves to reveal the arrow painted on the road.

"low ratio of windows to brickwork"

It is government policy to have small windows for reasons of energy conservation.

We also have a problem with poor quality housing, due to the government for years ignoring the need to build houses, and now that it's too late, removing planning laws, and encouraging hasty building of huge numbers of ugly and poor quality flats.

"primacy of the motor car "

We are a relatively densely populated country, so what do you expect us to do? Public transport is tulipe and impractical. Cycling is dangerous and usually impractical. 'Pedestrianing' is impractical.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Sounds like you were taken by the cleaners there old bean ...right I will get me coat...
    "taken to the cleaners"

HTH

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    UK urban public space has become very much like urban space in the United States (grotty and unkempt)

Some trends I have noticed:
    - function always take precedence over form
    - walled housing estates
    - unmaintained street furniture
    - little consideration for pedestrians (pavements that abruptly stop)
    - primacy of the motor car (although this is a long term trend, it's dominance of the landscape continues no matter what politicians say - storing up problems for the future)
    - dilapidated road signage and, perversely, in some places, superflouous road signage.
    - the 'Docklands effect' (1) vast swathes of new build lego houses BUT NOT A SOUL ANYWHERE! (2) poorly designed fenestration; low ratio of windows to brickwork

and finally

- nobody gives a sh!t about these things except me.
    and Prince Charles

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman
    But Noddy, What are you actually doing about these things?
    I'm doing nothing because I'm completing my transition into the middle class; so to fit-in will involve me being:
    - devoid of passion and emotion (it scares them)
    - learning not to care, while pretending I do
    - aloof
    - detached

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by cswd
    That reminds me of something funny. I fired the cleaners at a company a few years back because they were crap and stole stuff. We got a new company in to deal with it. Guess what happened. Same 2 cleaners turned up a week later with different uniforms.

Learned my lesson then!
    Sounds like you were taken by the cleaners there old bean ...right I will get me coat...

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Hart-floot
    Thought the 3 day week was under the Tories!!!
    That's what they want you to think!

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by partimer
    Just you wait till the bin men go on strike. It's probably their turn soon. Some of you can't remember the joys of a Liebore government. I can't help but remember the similarities of the late 70s and present day (minus the inflation - only because they have rigged how they calculate inflation).
    Soon due to the high energy prices, we'll be on a 3 day week.

New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin.
    It took 9 years but we got there ...
    Thought the 3 day week was under the Tories!!!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    There was some story running on Coronation Street about the bin men. Any one who follows Coras will know this was years ago. Anyways, some old dear who was stuck for people to chat to, used to chat to the bin men, and related the story in said kitchen-sink-drama. She proffered her own views of the situation, fatally I might add, for her bin was not emptied ever again (she had to use the neighbours) until the bin emptying was outsourced about 15 or so years later.

But that was Doncaster, silly old biddy.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Ellie
    replied
    Most refuse services supplied by councils are contracted out.

So if the bin men go on strike the contractors will just sack them all and hire some Eastern Europeans.

Infact councils don't mind you phoning up and complaining about your bin not being collected etc. so they can have excuses:
    1. To hire another council minion
    2. To give the contract to another company (with the same workers) if they want.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin
    New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin and some really nasty laws ready if you dissent.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by partimer
    Just you wait till the bin men go on strike. It's probably their turn soon. Some of you can't remember the joys of a Liebore government. I can't help but remember the similarities of the late 70s and present day (minus the inflation - only because they have rigged how they calculate inflation).
    Soon due to the high energy prices, we'll be on a 3 day week.

New Liebore = Old Labour with a grin.
    It took 9 years but we got there ...
    Doomed. Accept your fate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X