• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: RIP Henry Cooper

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RIP Henry Cooper"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    No I never knew any of that, was just wondering why he was so famous. I suppose for knocking down Ali.
    And for controversially losing to Joe Bugner. He never spoke to the ref after that, who used to be his friend.

He was famous for being a great British character and for lasting about 15 years as a pro boxer.

He was European champion on and off, but too small to beat the world's best heavyweights. The one time he might have, his weakness for eye cuts let him down.

Leave a comment:

• Clever Hans
    replied
    When I wor a little lad our village shop won a 'Best Shop' competition, and the prize was Henry Cooper.

I mean, he just stood there, chatting to anybody who wanted to, giving autographs and such. All day. Most of the kids were a bit nervous, but I went up and shook his hand and chatted to him for quite a while, craning my neck. Giant of a man he seemed.

Very nice though, quiet and polite. Boring story, I know, but I felt a bit sad when I heard the news, he came across as one of those sportsmen who are really likeable human beings, which seems to be a bit out of fashion these days.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    No, UK, Commonwealth and European Champion, but I assume you already know this as this is supposed to be a dig at mourning "a failure"
    No I never knew any of that, was just wondering why he was so famous. I suppose for knocking down Ali.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Was he world champion?
    No, UK, Commonwealth and European Champion, but I assume you already know this as this is supposed to be a dig at mourning "a failure"

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I hope you realise that a spirit is not allowed to rest in peace until it's read all the individual "Rest In Peace" tributes to it on the internet. New heaven rules.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Was he world champion?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Bit of a coincidence that Our 'Enery died on the same day as Osama Bin Laden.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen them at the same time?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    With 'Enry's death it only leaves Thatcher alive from the "Your boys took a hell of a beating" rant from Bjørge Lillelien.

RIP

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Remember the classic Brut ads at Christmas... "Brut 66, on the 25th"

and didn't he do the Daddies sauce ads too?

I was always in the "Hai Karate" camp though...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    RIP 'Enry - true British boxing legend and a gentlemen.

Let us also remember the Brut adverts with Kevin Keegan
    Brut was horrible. But Our 'Enery done a good advert.

PS I remember an April Fools Day BBC broadcast 25 years ago about the new over-50s heavyweight boxing division. Henry was in on it, along with Muhummad Ali and a few others. Then a few years later along came the likes of Foreman and Holyfield and it almost became fact.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    RIP 'Enry - true British boxing legend and a gentlemen.

Let us also remember the Brut adverts with Kevin Keegan

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Less well known was his long-standing opposition to British fascist parties.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    He will be missed.
    WNS. R.I.P. Henry.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    He will be missed.
    That is not what Muhammad Ali said.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I remember 'Enry's 'Ammer.

Perhaps a bit too small to become a world heavyweight champion, but he was a good boxer, and he gave Clay a fright before Clay was world champion.

RIP, great character.
    He will be missed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X