• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AGW certain or uncertain."

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Denier is so last year. The new mot juste is rejectionist.

thats right,
    you keep playing with words. It may work for a while

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Denier is so last year. The new mot juste is rejectionist.

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Always best to do a quick spell check when correcting another's spelling. Only one 'l' in supercilious (Behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others), mate.

Please do be careful climbing down from that high horse.
    Originally posted by pjclarke
    If you're going to nit-pick someone's typos, best to get your spellchecker out.

Only one 'l' in supercilious, mate.
    Good point mate - why don't you repeat it endlessly. After all that is your usual style

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Always best to do a quick spell check when correcting another's spelling. Only one 'l' in supercilious (Behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others), mate.

Fair cop on the spelling - I can't spell, wot with being thick.

I noticed it when pasting the synonyms of pompous.

So thats my excuse I am thick as tulip - whats yours?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    If there is uncertainty over CAGW, why do they call us 'deniers' ?
    That's because of the dogmatic, semi religious status that man made climate change has obtained.

Incidentally I (and I suspect you have a similar view EO) don't deny that the climate may be changing a small amount as the result of man made CO2 emissions, but I also don't have sufficient credible evidence to think with any certainty that the changes aren't simply normal fluctuations.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If there is uncertainty over CAGW, why do they call us 'deniers' ?

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    decadal is a cycle that completes once every ten years, roughly
    Thanks EO - I did know what that word meant as it is an english word not one made up by a pompous knob

Pompous:
    affected, bloated, boastful, bombastic, conceited, flatulent, flaunting, flowery, fustian, grandiloquent, grandiose, high and mighty, high-flown, highfaluting, imperious, important, inflated, magisterial, magniloquent, narcissistic, orotund, ostentatious, overbearing, overblown, pontifical, portentous, presumptuous, pretentious, puffed up, puffy, rhetorical, self-centered, self-important, selfish, showy, sonorous, stuck-up, supercilious, turgid, uppity, vain, vainglorious, windy

knob: An obnoxious person (see Urban Dictionary)

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    decaldal - definition: couldn't be arsed to spell check a post correcting a numptie.

nitpicker: definition .... ?
    Thanks - Just as I thought.

Your supercillious and patronising "Using just short words" statement was just that supercillious and patronising

Yet you couldn't help yourself and just had to throw in a few "clever" words you had read somewhere cos you thought they sounded good. (I didn't point out "vaiability" by the way)

You may be quite knowledgable about whatever it is you are constantly spouting on about - but to be honest you come across as a bit of a tool and incredibly boring.
    I'll go back to not commenting on posts that include your particular ego puffing content - and frankly if my "nitpicking" has punctured that particular balloon I consider it a triumph.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Using just short words....

Nothing in science is certain.

It's always interested me how the doommongers would eventually climb down. The pigs did it by changing the mantra, 'four legs good, two legs bad' into 'two legs good'

It seems that the doomdsay merchants will do it by stating what has been blindingly obvious to the sceptics all along, and then adopt it as their very own position.
    Of course they will have to square this with previous statements , but they will do this with spin and playing with words, not with science.

An AGW doomsday merchant will soon be as rare as a nazi in postwar Germany, so we should treasure pj, and not be too hard on him.

decadal is a cycle that completes once every ten years, roughly

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    decaldal - definition: couldn't be arsed to spell check a post correcting a numptie.

nitpicker: definition .... ?

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    ......... regional spatial scales and decaldal timescales.
    I don't normally bother posting on these sort of threads.

But PJ given your statement about short words... what is decaldal?

Sorry to be a numptie but I do like to try to understand..............

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied

Nothing in science is certain.

The IPCC said that the warming of the climate system was unequivocal and it is highly likely that most of the rise is anthro... sorry, manmade.

This paper does not change that as it is about the problem of distinguishing between manmade and natural vaiability at regional spatial scales and decadal timescales.

I do not know how warm it will be in my village this time next week. But I can be reasonably certain that the UK will be warmer in average in June, than it was in March. Same thing.

About the only thing that is certain is that any new research will be distorted into a mistaken soundbite by Blaster of Bates.
    Last edited by pjclarke; 12 April 2011, 20:40.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sounds to me like the scientists need a lot more time and a LOT more funding.
    Well I think it's money well spent.

Who would have guessed, as we are told these scientists have established, that increased use of fossil fuels is actually unrelated to the increase in the world's population using them?

And that carbon emissions from fossil fuels will carry on increasing despite fossil fuels running out?

It takes a lot of funding to discover clever stuff like that.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sounds to me like the scientists need a lot more time and a LOT more funding.

Nothing another dozen Carbon taxes can't fix.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X