• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Royal Bl**dy wedding"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You have to apply to the authorities to do that as well.

Stamped, logged and catalogued in this police state from the cradle to the grave.
    Unless they have changed things, you need to notify the school when you take the child out, not apply.

Educating your child at home : Directgov - Parents

This is a pretty liberal approach compared to some countries.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Legally, a child must be educated. There is no reason why you can't home educate until it suits you to put them in school.
    You have to apply to the authorities to do that as well.

Stamped, logged and catalogued in this police state from the cradle to the grave.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I thought that legally a child only has to attend school from the start of the school term following their fifth birthday. I know most start in reception at the start of the academic year in which they turn five, but as far as I know it's not obligatory.
    Legally, a child must be educated. There is no reason why you can't home educate until it suits you to put them in school.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's not uncommon, to say the least. There are a number of schools where parents take their children out for a long time (4+ weeks) and expect the school to keep their place open for them.

If the absence is in SATs week, then many schools will not allow absences, regardless of whether the child is in a SATs year or not. If it is a SATs year, and you try to fake illness to take the child away, then many schools will send a teacher to your house to try and administer the test, or check you aren't lying about it.

Taking your child out of school without permission is illegal, which is why you need to get the request letter agreed by the school.
    After age 5 as it happens.

Planning to take them out for six weeks at some point to go travelling to New Zealand, so they can put that in their pipes at a later date.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    It's not uncommon, to say the least. There are a number of schools where parents take their children out for a long time (4+ weeks) and expect the school to keep their place open for them.

If the absence is in SATs week, then many schools will not allow absences, regardless of whether the child is in a SATs year or not. If it is a SATs year, and you try to fake illness to take the child away, then many schools will send a teacher to your house to try and administer the test, or check you aren't lying about it.

Taking your child out of school without permission is illegal, which is why you need to get the request letter agreed by the school.
    I thought that legally a child only has to attend school from the start of the school term following their fifth birthday. I know most start in reception at the start of the academic year in which they turn five, but as far as I know it's not obligatory.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    They made me sign a legal request letter to take my 4 year old daughter out of school! FFS!!!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    So is mine. I'm not sure I've mentioned this.

They made me sign a legal request letter to take my 4 year old daughter out of school! FFS!!!
    Don't sign it. What kind of mouse are you?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do you whinge about weekends too? Why don't you move to a country with no monarchy or sense of national pride, then you can avoid public holidays and work yourself to a rich, bitter death.
    Absobloodylutely! Which of us will be capable of work while we weep in grateful awe, bathed in the majestic radiance of the royal couple?

And yet, we must not let our misty eyes be blind to problems our great country faces, nor let the joy ringing in our ears drown out the whisper of those two words that challenge us: 'Deficit' and 'Growth'.

A pause for reflection will lead us to a substantial opportunity to strengthen this vibrant arm of the public sector and indeed of 'Brand UK' itself. If we apply here our approach from other reforms, we can leverage private sector expertise to maximise the contribution that the Royal Family makes to the national economy, while in no way compromising the august dignity of this venerable institution. The best approach is to auction a 20 year lease of the Royal Family, which will give bidders a substantial period of time in which to invest and then increase revenue streams. Importantly, it is only a lease, so ownership of the Family remains with Her Majesty; this is in no way a privatisation. There are many examples of good practice in this area, and a company such as Madame Tussauds would clearly be able to take it on.

It would then be for the contractor to deliver according to their corporate objectives. Possibilities include:

1. Rescheduling the Royal Wedding to 1:00 a.m. on a Sunday to maximise North American television advertising revenues.
    2. Commercial sponsorship of all aspects of the wedding, with discreet brand logos on high brand value items such as the wedding dress and royal coach.
    3. Franchising out junior members of the Royal Family to the Commonwealth Realms and marrying them off simultaneously to winners of an X-Factor style competition (with premium rate audience participation phone numbers). All couples will then be flown to Westminster Abbey (with full military honours) for a dignified Strictly Come Dancing dance-off.
    4. Running themed weddings for members of the public at other royal residences.

So, let's make the most of this opportunity to synergise our own spiritual growth with the growth of our national economy.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Our school is open those three days, so there goes that idea.

Might work the royal wedding day if the client wants me to - since they are based in Germany, India and the US, I can't see it being a problem.
    So is mine. I'm not sure I've mentioned this.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    & as a permie I have booked the 3 days in the middle
    Our school is open those three days, so there goes that idea.

Might work the royal wedding day if the client wants me to - since they are based in Germany, India and the US, I can't see it being a problem.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    What, like Germany? If a bank holiday falls on a weekend, it stays on the weekend, none of this moving it to a Monday or Friday plus the shops don't get it either. Some years you get about 1-2 bank holidays that actually fall during the week. The problem is, is that if its on a Wednesday then it screws your week up (especially if like me you work far from home) or a Tuesday or Thursday so most people take bridging days for a long weekend which can be a pain as well (especially if like me you work far from home.)
    Yes, the first Saturday one caught me out, I went out to do my shopping and all the shops were closed. For a while I thought I'd slept right through and woken up on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    As a contractor (living with a permie who wants to go on holiday) I've done the same!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do you whinge about weekends too? Why don't you move to a country with no monarchy or sense of national pride, then you can avoid public holidays and work yourself to a rich, bitter death.
    What, like Germany? If a bank holiday falls on a weekend, it stays on the weekend, none of this moving it to a Monday or Friday plus the shops don't get it either. Some years you get about 1-2 bank holidays that actually fall during the week. The problem is, is that if its on a Wednesday then it screws your week up (especially if like me you work far from home) or a Tuesday or Thursday so most people take bridging days for a long weekend which can be a pain as well (especially if like me you work far from home.)

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What my (alleged)alcoholic friend says.

Good Friday
    Saturday
    Easter Sunday
    Easter Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Royal Wedding
    Saturday
    Sunday
    Bank Holiday Monday

Get in there!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I completely agree. These benchers and employers burning up angels money don't know they're born.

As it happens, I decided to take a two week vacation over all of those bank holidays and wedding day. So in theory I have mitigated the damage of those tulipty billing days and the client is happy.
    What my (alleged)alcoholic friend says.

Good Friday
    Saturday
    Easter Sunday
    Easter Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Royal Wedding
    Saturday
    Sunday
    Bank Holiday Monday