• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Policing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Policing"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I note in passing that the rhyme is singing the praises of the black sheep. It produces "three bags full":
    "one for the master" i.e. a contribution to society
    "one for the dame" i.e. provision for the family
    "and one for the little boy who lives down the lane" i.e. a charitable contribution for the less-well off.
    Rather like the 24 inch rule...

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by Sputnik
    It would be too much to hope the the numpties would actually stop and think about it
    but surely in the politically correct world one is absolved from any form of thinking. One is also required not to use one's faculties to actually find out about something before uttering some banality.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    They'll ban Humpty Dumpty next for littering the pavement.....

Modern Nursery Rhymes (as approved by HMG DoE)

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Then a copper came along ang gave him an on the spot fine and an ASBO for offensive wall-sitting.

Little Jack Horner sat in the corner eating a Christmas pie; He put in his thumb, And pulled out a plum and was promptly arrested under the sex offences act for displaying his 'plum' in front of other minors.

Little Miss Muffet, sat on a tuffet, Eating her curds and whey - and was taken into care by her local authority owing to the fact that her inappropriate diet did not contain five fruits or vegetables a day.

Ring a ring o' roses,
    A pocket full of posies,
    A-tishoo! A-tishoo!
    Bird flu all round!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 7 March 2006, 16:58.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep have you any organic byproduct collected by volunteers for equal distribution' doesn't have the same ring to it.

Leave a comment:

• Sputnik
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I note in passing that the rhyme is singing the praises of the black sheep. It produces "three bags full":
    "and one for the little boy who lives down the lane" i.e. a charitable contribution for the less-well off.
    good point well presented. It would be too much to hope the the numpties would actually stop and think about it..........
    'Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep have you any organic byproduct collected by volunteers for equal distribution' doesn't have the same ring to it.

They'll ban Humpty Dumpty next for littering the pavement.....

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Yes. Was on the Today prog this morning.

Aparently some right-thinking PC idiot assumed the rhyme was to do with slavery - rather than the wool-tax (a middle-ages tax on all wool except that from black sheep).

Sheesh!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    I've heard today the the PC police are now wanting to change the words of the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep and replace 'Black' with....

Rainbow!!

I kid you not.
    Yes. Was on the Today prog this morning.

Aparently some right-thinking PC idiot assumed the rhyme was to do with slavery - rather than the wool-tax (a middle-ages tax on all wool except that from black sheep).

Sheesh!

Leave a comment:

• Sputnik
    replied
    I've heard today the the PC police are now wanting to change the words of the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep and replace 'Black' with....

Rainbow!!

I kid you not.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    our police are becoming some form of Political Correctness enforcement.
    Exactly so, under the diligent command of the "PC PC" Sir Ian Blair.

Almost every arm of the state is now heavily politicised from the top down.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    And that is where the whole thing gets absurd. In displaying those he broke no law (otherwise he would have been charged). Yet goods were seized. No doubt at the same time some crime was committed.

Low level crime is allowed and our police are becoming some form of Political Correctness enforcement.
    It seems to me that many of the "PC" crimes that end up looking silly, do so because the essence of the charge is not YOU DID THIS but THEY MIGHT BE OFFENDED/ALARMED/UPSET by what you do. Perhaps that should be abolished.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    It also means the poor schmuck that puts Golliwogs in his shop window.
    And that is where the whole thing gets absurd. In displaying those he broke no law (otherwise he would have been charged). Yet goods were seized. No doubt at the same time some crime was committed.

Low level crime is allowed and our police are becoming some form of Political Correctness enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• Sputnik
    replied
    My rant was pretty generic i admit, and i'm sure some educated offenders go on to be 'law-abiding citizens' - although Bliar is technically one of those so i'm not sure about the validity of the phrase.
    I think what is desperately missing is a sensible sentencing structure. Under the current guidelines one judge might decide on one thing, another on something different. Whats with sentencing some coffin-dodger who won't pay his council tax to a month in prison, while work-shy scrotes get community service for crimes which have far more of an impact on their victim. Justice my arse.

I have a friend who is a solicitor who told me once of a young lad of maybe 12 who got nicked for the umpteenth time. He was sat in the interview with his mum, calling the coppers c***s, my friend - defending him - a c***. All in front of his mum. Eventually she turns on him and tells him to stop using the C word and says 'how many times have i told you not to use that. Say tw@t' instead!! Class.
    Last edited by Sputnik; 7 March 2006, 16:15. Reason: typo gibbon

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Bring it on but that means every law. That includes cyclists who ignore red lights, ride on the pavement.

That means the person smoking a joint

That means the person dropping litter
    It also means the poor schmuck that puts Golliwogs in his shop window.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    What wrong with you scum, man? Peace and Love, man. Freedom from the pigs. Yeah. Right on. Groovy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Recidivism is running at about 70% last I looked so re-education works for 30%. That has got to be a good thing.
    3 strikes is a good idea (IMHO) though as I have said before, I favour a tarrif system with discounts.

e.g. Burglary carries 5 years. 1st offence allows 50% reduction, not wasting courts time carries further 25% not wasting Police time carries further.
    Figures are for example so dont argue about them.
    Doing a runner or lying at interview removes Police discount. Pleading not guilty removes court discount and so on.
    All puts pressure on crim not to take the piss. At the moment they make up any story knowing that once they get to court they can change their plea and rely on the liberal system to give them a minimum sentence.
    It does seem to me to make sense that, after someone has given excellent grounds for taking them to be a career criminal, you would treat them differently from someone who might be reformed or deterred by a normal sentence: for those who have already thrown away that opportunity more than once, the onus would shift and you would want to see some sign that they had changed, before they easily get out (or get off) again.

In the case of particularly offensive personal violence, especially sexual and/or deranged in nature, we might want some convincing that they had changed before contemplating allowing them to walk the streets again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X