• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the longest contract then anyone here has had ?"

Collapse

Guest replied
    You didn't think the nickname "Disguised Employee" was ironic enough then, IR35 Avoider?
    In my avoiding days (now behind me) I never sought to rely on passing "not an employee" tests. I took the view from the start of IR35 that 99% of all contractors failed these tests.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    currently working my 21st extension which will take it to 10 years

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm upto 18 months currently, a record for me and its starting to be as grim as having a permie job every time I get my 3 month renewal through. I cheer up gradually as I near the end of each contract and it looks like there is no budget for a renewal only to be thwarted on the last day this time !

I have explained to the client they can now remove the agent from the equation by taking out the 'Extended Period of Hire' in my contract 14 days before the renewal but they are incapable of thinking 14 days ahead !!! I've even offered to go halves on the agents 20% but ..............

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You must love him.
    Who says it's a "him"?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Our longest serving contractor has been working for one client non stop for 13 years.
    You must love him.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Our longest serving contractor has been working for one client non stop for 13 years.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    3 and a half years so far on a series of 3 month extensions. The contract expired on Friday. I’ve come back in this morning out of the goodness of my heart whilst they sort out a renewal.

Previous contract was 2 years.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I some times wonder how anybody, with over two years at the same customer, can honestly with hand on heart not be within the intentions of IR35.

Some of you guys would have out lasted the permie mangers, etc.
    Did anybody get a gold watch

Shows you how poorly managed some companies are. No long term strategy. You hire a contractor to do some work then leave. Not hang around twiddling their thumbs ...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Exactly two years. It was definitely too long, and after that experience I've decided never to stay more than a year with one client.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    On one contract of 1 year duration, I had 9 extensions...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I will have been a contractor for the same client for 17 years in August! Had other irons in the fire during this time but this 'long termer' has seen me through a couple of very bad times in the market. As regards number of contract extensions this is then I have no idea. There was one point where only 2-3 week contracts were being approved.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    3 years and by the end I was ready to kill some of those permies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    2 years exactly (funny enough longest i stayed in a permie position as well). Total of extensions :8

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm still at the place I joined in May 1992.
    You didn't think the nickname "Disguised Employee" was ironic enough then, IR35 Avoider?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm still at the place I joined in May 1992.

I did officially leave (twice) 2/3 years ago, but in practise I've averaged six months a year there since I "left."

Since May 1992 I have only worked one day at a different client. (Consultancy at main site who I had worked for elsewhere in 1991 asked me to help with a problem at a different client site of theirs.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X