• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doom. FTSE down 3% and dropping"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Mary Poppins? We only have her word for those, er, I mean that.
    Yeah that's the one!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Churchill has been a grumpy git since he hooked up with that bird, what's her face.
    Wrong, it was more recent than that, it was when MarillionFan decided that he'd come back to the forum and try and make it his playpen.

Just my opinion of course.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

No, not her, the short one with the big chest.
    Mary Poppins? We only have her word for those, er, I mean that.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Yeah yeah. Got it.

Eternal optimist.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    SueEllen?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Churchill has been a grumpy git since he hooked up with that bird, what's her face.
    SueEllen?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Pictographs!

Evolution in progress.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Sorry. I find that most posters seem to have the ability to string words into sentences and sentences into paragraphs.

I know you find this concept difficult Churchill, but most posters seem to have moved on from the monosyllabic posting style you adopt.

To make you happier though.

Ug. No. Me no buy. Ug. Norks
    Who do you think you're impressing?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Nearly there.
    Sorry. I find that most posters seem to have the ability to string words into sentences and sentences into paragraphs.

I know you find this concept difficult Churchill, but most posters seem to have moved on from the monosyllabic posting style you adopt.

To make you happier though.

Ug. No. Me no buy. Ug. Norks

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    No.... <other surplus irrelevant sh!te>
    Nearly there.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I take it you didn't then.

A simple "No" would suffice if remaining silent is so difficult.

Thanks though.
    No. I have £30k in the market at the mo, which is slightly down and moving sideways at the moment.

Market is to volatile and impossible to predict as long as the japanese plant is not stabilised. If there is a major leak from the plant and they have to evacuate Tokyo then expect worldwide markets to drop another 10-20% within a week.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Will solar panels pay for themselves? - MoneyWeek

To make it worthwhile, I believe the survey checks the following.

You have at least 10m2 of available roof space.
    Your roof faces almost exactly due south.
    The roof is angled ideally at 45 deg.
    There are NO trees shading the roof at all.

Unless you can tick all those boxes, the payback time stretches to about infinity.
    There is a massive consumer market for green energy. It's wained a little in the last few years due to the recession, but now with incident in Japan, coupled with a rethink on nuclear energy consumers are again going to be looking at reducing their energy bills.

The bit that OG is missing, is not that I wanted the information, I've already researched repayment times, and it's up to 20 years, it's worthless. I wanted the chap to convince me in the shopping centre. He didn't have a clue and told me thay didn't put up examples etc. Now that's probably because it's not a good return.

Regardless there is a massive opportunity. If the cost of the product & installation was low enough, and the return 5/6/7/10+% then consumers would be biting your hand off. This goes right across the board of product, not just solar panels.

Green/renewable needs to get into the consumer psyche as a want/need , and that want/need will be based around money, not some notion of saving the planet or having the council beat you into submission over your recycling bin.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm short EUR/USD from 1.4000 targeting 1.3910 for a quicky 'scalp' today.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Bandwagon.

Renewable energy and japanense construction companies where the only two sectors expected to go up yesterday.

It does beg a question around renewables.

I was in a shopping centre at the w/e and saw a bloke trying to get people to sign for solar panels. As it happens I'm interested, but only if I can work out the return.

Fella can't even answer the question about how much it costs. Really annoyed me. 'Give me an example of cost/return for an 'average house'.

'All houses are different','We must do a survey','You could be a show house and get a discount','The government pays 4.3p per xxxx?

I think there is a great opportunity in a renewables business. But if they cannot even give you an example of ROI then it's a waste.

I walked off.
    I take it you didn't then.

A simple "No" would suffice if remaining silent is so difficult.

Thanks though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X