• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: John Lewis Bonus

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "John Lewis Bonus"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Good job JL. I admire that lot; they're one of the few large companies that make a cooperative work really well. If I really had to go permie, I would much rather work for a cooperative like JL than for some blue chip corporation that sucks the life out of people to make a profit for some anonymous hedge fund in the far east.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    ftfy
    to be fair I'm not sure primary school teachers are given the authority to make that kind of policy, blame the school/head/governors/LEA/Government but not the teacher - it's like blaming the bin man for not taking the non-recyclable rubbish in the recycling bin as if it was his idea!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    mmm, I disagree actually.

me too I left a place when I was a perm because the bonus (and pay rise) system was the same for everyone regardless of performance - absolutely no incentive

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Actually I knocked up a generic complaint & excellent service letter a few years ago and sent it out to 10 companies. I received 7 replies, some apologies and freebies from the complaints and a £10 gift voucher from one of the positives.
    Some companies are weird.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    With JL you can email them and tell them that their staff are tulip or if they are particularly helpful you can do that instead. Though I only tend to do the latter if the staff has trainee on their badge.

I actually enjoy emailing companies now and telling them that certain staff have been extremely helpful because they don't know what the **** to do with compliments.
    Actually I knocked up a generic complaint & excellent service letter a few years ago and sent it out to 10 companies. I received 7 replies, some apologies and freebies from the complaints and a £10 gift voucher from one of the positives.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    mmm, I disagree actually.

In a large organisation you are quite often having to introduce culture change and drive productivity. Giving bonuses that are based on metrics that support the strategy provides an incentive.

giving a blanket bonus based on corporate profitability provides no specific incentive.

Bonus schemes that are well thought out and implemented can be dynamite and progressive. Bonus schemes that are poor and corupt can wreck a company
    With JL you can email them and tell them that their staff are tulip or if they are particularly helpful you can do that instead. Though I only tend to do the latter if the staff has trainee on their badge.

I actually enjoy emailing companies now and telling them that certain staff have been extremely helpful because they don't know what the **** to do with compliments.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I expect the JL halo to slip accordingly as it so often does with expansion.

We've always been big fans of JL, we've bought furniture, TV's and white goods, we even had our wedding list there.

Last month we ordered a white bed for my daughter but they delivered a pine one and the customer services people have not gone out of their way to rectify the situation.
    You should have ordered from me. I'd have delivered and put it up for you the next day.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    John Lewis is about to launch a 5 year bond to raise new funds for expansion.

Open to staff and John Lewis card holders it will be paying 6.5% per year, if which 2% of that will be in vouchers. Maximum investment 10k. Not covered by the FSA.

They're planning some major expansion.
    I expect the JL halo to slip accordingly as it so often does with expansion.

We've always been big fans of JL, we've bought furniture, TV's and white goods, we even had our wedding list there.

Last month we ordered a white bed for my daughter but they delivered a pine one and the customer services people have not gone out of their way to rectify the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Yawn
    Now you're beginning to understand.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What possible justification do you have that requires you to take your kids out of school at term time?

Stop whinging and live with it. You're not special other than in a retarded way.
    Yawn

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    ftfy
    What possible justification do you have that requires you to take your kids out of school at term time?

Stop whinging and live with it. You're not special other than in a retarded way.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I don't shop in John Lewis becuase its one step closer to people asking me what my prefered primary school for my children would be and having to get the permission of an uneducated primary school teacher(who gets 12 weeks per year holiday) to allow you to take your kids out of it for a holiday during term time!
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I don't shop in John Lewis becuase its one step closer to people asking me what my prefered primary school for my children would be.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    they aren't necessarily the cheapest but that's.
    You say that but I have brought white goods from them this year & they were the cheapest on a particular model (admittedly is was not a basic model) and you get a 5 year warranty included, so it seems if you are looking a quality goods to start with they are competitive..

One thing they are considering doing with the raised monies is to set up their own delivery vans for Waitrose, therefore negating the Ocado cost.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Going to check them out after Easter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X