• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What car?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What car?"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I'm saving that for when I start going bald and am in fullk midlife crisis
    The best thing you can do is buy a copy of whatcar. Of course you may ignore their advice and buy the badge that sits best with your neighbours. The decision is yours.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What a shocking lack of ambition, ffs - aspire to Porsche, Ferrari etc.
    I'm saving that for when I start going bald and am in fullk midlife crisis

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Good MPG?

From the 5 litre V10 diesel?

About 20 MPG.
    He's a badge snob - despite the claim he's after a car with good mpg, he'll end up buying something German which drinks more than minestrone.

Last edited by Clippy; 3 March 2011, 17:01.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Good MPG?

From the 5 litre V10 diesel?

About 20 MPG.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    VW Phaeton.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    1/ A Mondeo is far more exclusive than a five series, if you want to stand out from the crowd you need to look away from BMW
    2/ You said you had an MG
    3/ I meant to add your point 2/ to my post, above.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I want something a bit "premium" (posh word for saying I'm a badge snob) so the Monedo would be a pass. I was looking at the 525 and 530 but the drop in MPG is too much (520 is 55mpg, 525 is 45mpg and the 520 is 40mpg) which considering the number of miles I do its too big a drop.
    You should have mentioned up front that you're a tit about 'premium' badges; advice could then have been tailored accordingly.

The Mondeo is probably exactly what you're after, and you'd look precisely less of a tit than in a beemer.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I want something a bit "premium" (posh word for saying I'm a badge snob)
    1/ A Mondeo is far more exclusive than a five series, if you want to stand out from the crowd you need to look away from BMW
    2/ You said you had an MG

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I want something a bit "premium" (posh word for saying I'm a badge snob) so the Monedo would be a pass. I was looking at the 525 and 530 but the drop in MPG is too much (520 is 55mpg, 525 is 45mpg and the 520 is 40mpg) which considering the number of miles I do its too big a drop.
    premium cars come with premium bills including the fuel!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Are you talking petrol or diesel here?

You are going to be hard pushed to beat something like a 535d in terms of price, performance and economy.

Test drive a 535d, you'll be astonished at the pace.

And it's a BMW, so all the losers on here will despise your apparent success. Bonus!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That or a Mondeo Titanium 2.0 diesel (What Car used car of the year). Neither is very nice to look at but do what they say on the tin. If budget stretches a 4 yr old 535d is very quick will do 35mpg+ and should be about 15k.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    aspire to Porsche, Ferrari
    Not uncommon among Lada drivers.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    If I were you I would aspire to a modest income, say the average wage and owning your own one-bed flat, with a little extra for the "massage parlour"

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    With a (£300) ECU remap and rolling road tune you can get over 300bhp from a 535d. Not bad for a cheap diesel car with pretty good fuel economy.

Would leave sasguru in his tired old Mazda 626 a small dot in the rear view mirror.
    Nah mate my MPS would barrel past the broken down Beemer.
    Not to mention AWD in the snow

Leave a comment:

Working...
X