• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Census day March 27 2011"

Collapse

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    BTW you should put you have "no religion" or simply not answer the question as it's optional.
    10 years? Nope still don't remeber the last one Maybe I was away.

But I have got a religion and I do practice

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    WTF is that about?
    B*ggered if I know. They did trial the form a couple of years ago, so maybe they took it out as a result of feedback received.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Bloody hell -what a lot of questions.

How often do they do the census - I don't remember the last one, I don't think.
    Every 10 years.

BTW you should put you have "no religion" or simply not answer the question as it's optional. Otherwise it's used for such idiotic things like keeping the Bishops and other religious leaders in the House of Lords, or claiming the UK is a religious country.

In regards to healthcare planning it's totally useless. Those who don't register with a GP (as seen by my friends' who have had the displeasure of working in places like Croydon) are not the type to complete a census form even if they could read it.

In regards to school planning it's useless. The number of immigrants estimated to come with families in 2004 from Eastern Europe far outstripped number of school places.

In regards to transport planning it's useless. It's been observed that transport use is linked to the economy.

The only use is for researching family trees and keeping some bureaucrats in the EU happy.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post

an intentionally blank question (they probably felt asking about contraception was a step too far).
    WTF is that about?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Bloody hell -what a lot of questions.

How often do they do the census - I don't remember the last one, I don't think.
    Last edited by cailin maith; 22 February 2011, 14:46. Reason: Spelling - oops

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Broken link. Try this

Definitely some questions that I feel are intrusive.

Does MCSE count as a professional qualification?

An awful lot of GOTO statements in there as well
    Oops - have fixed the link in my post.

If you are bored when the census taker comes round you could have a debate about the MCSE. Personally, I'd count it.

Lots of GOTOs and an intentionally blank question (they probably felt asking about contraception was a step too far).

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    The census questions are available from the Office of National Statistics ([url=www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011-census/2011-census-questionnaire.../2011-census-questions---england.pdf[/url])

My sister wasn't born in the UK, so I think she'll go to town on this

Broken link. Try this

Definitely some questions that I feel are intrusive.

Does MCSE count as a professional qualification?

An awful lot of GOTO statements in there as well

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There are lots of questions there which to my mind have nothing to do with the collection of statistics necessary for planning or policy making. For example, I don't believe you need to know the first and last names of people living in a house to plan future healthcare requirements, road building and other infrastructure. I'm skeptical about whether ethnic data is necessary, but there could be an argument made for collecting some data for healthcare planning, seeing as different ethnic groups can have specific requirements (e.g. treatment for sickle cell anaemia); this data, however, could be collected as part of the business plan for a healthcare provider.

To make policy, you need to know about demographics, not personal details.

It all looks very suspicious to me.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I think they should ask this question on census in order to facilitate accurate taxation:

Are you, or have you ever been a Nu Liebor voter?

1) Yes
    2) No

Automatic double taxation for those who say Yes.
    Yes - we need a totalitarian one party state eh comrade?

Leave a comment:

• Sands of Time
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Yeah, good luck combining all those data sources. The various govt departments that hold them all refuse to even talk to each other, let alone share data.

Thank flip for that!

Bing!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Does this tell us anything we don't already know? Surely a combination of NI records, Education Authority records, Births, Marriages and Death records, Electoral register etc can tell us everything we need to know without having to spend this.
    Yeah, good luck combining all those data sources. The various govt departments that hold them all refuse to even talk to each other, let alone share data.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Apologies master. Yes, hmmm. Seek advice, you must!

Learn to Talk Like Yoda with the Yoda-Speak Generator
    Talk like Yoda day, May 21st is. We, a party, should have. Hmmmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Apologies Master.
    Apologies master. Yes, hmmm. Seek advice, you must!

Learn to Talk Like Yoda with the Yoda-Speak Generator

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It is been ten years since the last census and still no flipping Jedi temple there is. Find some of it intrusive, having looked at the questionnaire I do.
    Apologies Master.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The argument is that authorities need to know (for example) religion for the purposes of planning places of worship. It's been ten years since the last census and there is still no flipping Jedi temple.
    Having looked at the questionnaire I do find some of it intrusive.
    It is been ten years since the last census and still no flipping Jedi temple there is. Find some of it intrusive, having looked at the questionnaire I do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X