• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "For CUK readers: which is the best thriller of all time?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Although they are not necessarily classed as Thrillers, the original Sherlock Holmes stories stand out as genuinely thrilling reads, even now.
    They are very good.

The only problem I had was when reading them to my daughter when she was six or seven when, for some reason, she loved Sherlock Holmes. There are lots of big words and long sentences for someone her age so I had to paraphrase quite often.

Leave a comment:

• GlasgowDev
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Don't know if it counts as a thriller but 'Imperium' by Robert Harris was one of the best books I've ever read.
    Good book. If you enjoyed that try reading the Conn Iggulden Rome: Emperor series. Fantastic books.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I don't think I've ever read a Thriller more than once, so it's hard to recommend one even if I've enjoyed it a lot. I simply can't remember what I've read. But, yeah, Robert Ludlum's originals were always great value. I don't know how dated they are now though, having read them in the 80s. I don't think they even referred to mobile phones back then, let alone all that Bourne movie technology.

Although they are not necessarily classed as Thrillers, the original Sherlock Holmes stories stand out as genuinely thrilling reads, even now. The atmosphere which Conan-Doyle summons in A Study In Scarlet and The Sign Of Four, both of which include a story within the story, is beautifully executed. Can't wait for a few more of those updated versions on the telly. They really got the characters spot on, going from the books.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Don't know if it counts as a thriller but 'Imperium' by Robert Harris was one of the best books I've ever read.
    yeah that and lustrum were great books! looking forward to the 3rd

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Good God! As soon as I saw your thread title I thought of that book, so imagine how amazed I was to open the thread and see that you have nominated it as well.

That must prove something.
    must say day of the jackal came to mind too- then opened the thread et voila -there it is!!

awesome book!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yes.

Ludlum was pretty good before the invention of the word processor.

Tended (like so many others) to become overblown afterwards.
    Ayup. The last one of his I read was actually finished off by someone else after he died.

It was rather formulaic.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    No, the film is fairly true to the book. It's also one of my favourite films.
    I saw it again recently and was pleasantly surprised how true it was to the book.

The book is best read with a Plan de Paris at your side. It's obvious that Forsyth did his research properly.

Unlike that twat Clancy who can't be bothered to look up what the capital cities of Europe are.

I also liked Robert Ludlum's early works. The Scarlatti Inheritance had me riveted.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I wonder whether the phrase "like pulling teeth" is taken from this film ...

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Another classic and vastly underated iconic 60's / 70's film ......... Marathon Man.

Probably my 2nd fave of all time.

Anyone seen it ??
    Is it safe ?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    The Streaky Bacon Murders

Peppa Pig

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    John Grisham,

The Firm

it's a big book that one, with very small writing, took an age to get through it

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Wilbur Smith
    The Eye of the Tiger

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I was getting worried before I saw this - it was all sounding a bit too friendly.
    Who asked you?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes.
    But start your own fooking thread about films. This is about books, you illiterate retard.
    I was getting worried before I saw this - it was all sounding a bit too friendly.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes.
    But start your own fooking thread about films. This is about books, you illiterate retard.
    oi, dont insult my baldy mate, you turd

Leave a comment:

Working...
X