• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Language Tapes/Cds?"

Collapse

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    As would goose stepping, shouting "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt".
    Thats where my last interview started to go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Carry a black backpack and practice your Arabic. People will make way for you.
    As would goose stepping, shouting "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt".

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Twilkes View Post
    You could switch your satnav to a foreign language and learn it that way. At least then if you had a contract with a foreign company and they asked you to do something you didn't want to you could tell them where to go.
    I have mine set to Klingon:

Ar ddiwedd y ffordd yn mynd i uffern!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Twilkes View Post
    You could switch your satnav to a foreign language and learn it that way.
    The vocabulary won't be comprehensive, but it is a great way to get thinking in the language. It's also excellent for equipping yourself in giving taxi drivers directions or asking for directions when on foot (or when the satnav doesn't know about some new road, which happened to me last summer).
    Last edited by Sysman; 18 February 2011, 10:51.

Leave a comment:

• Twilkes
    replied
    Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
    I tried doing the Michael Thomas Italian course in the car on the way to and from work. It's not easy to concentrate properly while driving. I also found that his voice made me quite sleepy, which was concerning.
    You could switch your satnav to a foreign language and learn it that way. At least then if you had a contract with a foreign company and they asked you to do something you didn't want to you could tell them where to go.

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    I tried doing the Michael Thomas Italian course in the car on the way to and from work. It's not easy to concentrate properly while driving. I also found that his voice made me quite sleepy, which was concerning.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    And make sure you turn the volume up so that you can't hear them shouting "Freeze!".

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yeah, walk two miles while talking to yourself in a foreign language. No one will stare.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Well yeah ok. At present it's a two mile drive but I might start walking it.
    Yeah, walk two miles while talking to yourself in a foreign language. No one will stare.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Forgot to mention: ISTM that one of the big plus points is that when driving alone, you can play a language CD that asks you questions, or gets you to repeat phrases, and can allow yourself to practice your execrable pronounciation loudly and with gusto (¡con mucho gusto!).

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Is this for your two mile commute? It will take you a year to learn to count to 10.
    Well yeah ok. At present it's a two mile drive but I might start walking it.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    It's not something that can be used when commuting, but it's an excellent way to learn a (European) language if you have time in front of the PC. Heralded as one of the best Euro start-ups :

Learn languages for free online | Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese | busuu.com

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I finally found a decent intermediate German audio course and have been listening to that whilst driving 3 hours a day the last few weeks. I did the same with French a while back. I'm at the stage where I want to hear as much as possible to get used to it, which works quite well, but I think if you're beginning a language it'll either distract you too much from driving or you won't be able to pay enough attention to the course.

The Michel Thomas ones only work when you pause and try to repeat, which will be difficult in a car. I started with the French and German Michel Thomas courses, and I'd highly recommend them, but they're really for beginners. Even his "advanced" courses aren't really very advanced.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Has anyone tried learning a language in the car while driving to a gig?

Are the linguaphone cds any good?
    Is this for your two mile commute? It will take you a year to learn to count to 10.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Has anyone tried learning a language in the car while driving to a gig?

Are the linguaphone cds any good?
    I found that I wasn't concentrating properly when I tried the Linguaphone CD when I was driving. Whether that was because I was driving and concentrating on the road, or whether it was the French CD and I already speak reasonable French but wanted to brush up a bit, I don't know.

I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X