• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question about hand writing and learning to write"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Teach her Arabic.

But seriously, it will work out - don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    To sum up:

Oldest offspring
    Struggles to write
    Plays piano

Don't worry, still hope of a future for her.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Yep - I did that when I was a kid. Someone pointed it out to me and I started writing the conventional way round. No probs.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    The TV is one all encompassing item whereas books are many.

In the eyes of a child a TV has the same gravitas as a book. When you give the TV back it's a one off. With books they can be earnt back piece by piece.
    Or you could just give the remote control back, followed by the power cord, then finally the TV

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    We also give our youngest Omega 3 chewy tablets every morning

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Whilst this seems to work for you and your daughter I would say taking away books is a big tough step.

We've had plenty of tantrums and the TV is the first to go. We have never resorted to taking away books !

Each to their own
    The TV is one all encompassing item whereas books are many.

In the eyes of a child a TV has the same gravitas as a book. When you give the TV back it's a one off. With books they can be earnt back piece by piece.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied

After 4 months things improved but not great until about 8 weeks ago when after a massive tantrum over the TV she lost that and her entire bedroom of toys/books.

Since that, with less distraction and no TV she has come along leaps and bounds. She completed
    all of her reading words yesterday flawlessly (she has about 50 to do), Reading and writing is now really good and everyday she writes and draws as opposed to the TV.
    Whilst this seems to work for you and your daughter I would say taking away books is a big tough step.

We've had plenty of tantrums and the TV is the first to go. We have never resorted to taking away books !

Each to their own

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    he he

good one

Milan.
    I was being serious.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Already ahead of you. She's signed up for the gym, swimming and modern dance. (she didn't like Ballet)
    Get her a t-shirt like mine;

Me throw stuff Ash Grey T-Shirt - CafePress United Kingdom

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well as you insist, I was going to say that you haven't learnt to write yet, so why worry about your daughter?

he he

good one

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Take her to your local athletics club and sign her up for javelin and discus. 20 years down the line you can cheer her on at the Olympics.
    Already ahead of you. She's signed up for the gym, swimming and modern dance. (she didn't like Ballet)

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    It was a massive tantrum - two hours - hitting /screaming / throwing things.
    Take her to your local athletics club and sign her up for javelin and discus. 20 years down the line you can cheer her on at the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    You took away the TV and all her belongings for 8 weeks over 1 tantrum?
    1 TV. All of her toys and about 200 books. She's had to earn them all back.

It was a massive tantrum - two hours - hitting /screaming / throwing things. And she had been warned & warned. As giving her a hiding doesnt work we did the other.

She gets a jar of tokens(pasta) and when she's been a good girl(ie. dressed/bed/teeth/tidied up) she can earn some. When she gets 30 she gets a treat like a trip to the Cinema. She tries hard to earn these.

In addition she is getting her stuff back at 5 books/toys per day. She only has to be threatened to lose stuff and she complies.

ha ha

thanks MF

nice story too - good job

well, as I said to the Mrs,

she is able to read properly (I mean from left to right), because she's been learning the piano since 5, taking lessons, and for the last few months, the teacher's method of teaching has got her onto reading music and playing pieces from reading the music

and she clearly reads the music in the left to write direction and plays what she reads

so, we shall see,

Milan.
    5. In the UK they start at 4.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    don't be shy

no problem

we're all friends here right ?

Milan.
    Well as you insist, I was going to say that you haven't learnt to write yet, so why worry about your daughter?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    we're all friends here right ?

That's one of those phrases that always precedes a

Leave a comment:

Working...
X