• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cars with no spare wheels"

Collapse

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    Not been there myself, but I thought it was a gay bar?
    Oh dear.....

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Fancy a couple in the Bang Bar sometime?
    Not been there myself, but I thought it was a gay bar?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    My Type-R had a space saver that was too small to fit over the front disc, if you had a front flat you had to put a rear wheel on the front and put the saver on the rear.

It must be cost cutting rather than space saving. My old 205 GTI had a full size alloy in a cage stowed under the car at the back, that's just empty space on most modern cars.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Proper cars have a little light to tell you when the lights are on (even though the dash lights are on all the time and the lights are automatic).
    I resorted to re-wiring the dashboard lights on my old car so that they don’t come on with the ignition however, in the new car there is an option in the fuse box to set the same.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    Then you should have heard of 'Tyre Assist'.

(P.S. They're my client too. )
    Fancy a couple in the Bang Bar sometime?

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    They're just too lazy to wash it out, there's far more profit in selling you a new tyre you don't need. It is a proper scam.
    Too true. My local garage always washes out the gunk and attempts a repair. This lot were the only outfit open for miles on a Sunday so they had me by the short & curlies & they knew it.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've had a couple.

One memorable one in my MkIV Zodiac after tooling it down the M4 flat out (105 ) only to discover one of the rear tyres deflating as I drove into the carpark at work.

The one in the Chevette was even more memorable since it deflated on a bend & it was sideways to victory time as it left the road onto a railway embankment.

I ended up in hospital with concussion, having been missed by a length of fence rail that removed some of the dashboard.
    Ouch! The worst one I had was visiting Arkansas and going up the interstate the front tire blew out. Totally unrepairable, and the spare was flat as well. Luckily some passersby got us to the nearest town where I bought a new one.

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've had a couple.

The one in the Chevette was even more memorable since it deflated on a bend & it was sideways to victory time as it left the road onto a railway embankment.
    In the good old days of the Cross-Ply, eh?

My punctures have all been on my motorbikes. Thankfully 2 of them were found upon opening the garage door, but the other one was up a Swiss mountain at considerable speed. Thankfully I had the CO2 cartridges in a repair kit which were enough to get to the next garage to put 45psi in. Had to eventually resort to a tube of gunk when I couldn't find a hole to plug - was in Nancy at the time with a ferry to catch from Calais. Thankfully it held all the way home but I knew it wouldn't be repairable.....

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    When I got there they told me they don't fix tyres that have had gunk in them. New tyre was 180 quid & there was a 3 hour wait . Oh, and it's another 50 quid to replace the gunk that didn't work in the first place. Might just settle for tyre weld next time.
    They're just too lazy to wash it out, there's far more profit in selling you a new tyre you don't need. It is a proper scam.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    I was going to by a RAV4 but didn't purely for this reason as did not fancy getting stranded on the motorway with 2 kiddies in the back etc. So went for a Qashqai instead with full replacement wheel. Having said that have only ever had 1 puncture in my life.
    When did they stop putting spare wheels on the back of RAV4s? That's a bit dangerous. The wife uses the spare wheel on the back of hers as a reversing aid - when she hits anything with it she knows she's run out of space.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    While I'm at it, here's another thing I don't like & I don't know if this is common to most new cars but my dashboard lights up whenever I start the engine. I'm still not used to this & it leads to a subconscious acknowledgement that my lights are on when, in fact, they are not. This has led to a couple of close calls in dusky conditions or in places that are lit by streetlights where it's easy to be unaware that your lights are off.
    Proper cars have a little light to tell you when the lights are on (even though the dash lights are on all the time and the lights are automatic).

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Got a puncture on my RAV4 on Sunday. Car has no spare wheel - you get a bottle of gunk instead...
    I was going to by a RAV4 but didn't purely for this reason as did not fancy getting stranded on the motorway with 2 kiddies in the back etc. So went for a Qashqai instead with full replacement wheel. Having said that have only ever had 1 puncture in my life.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Never even thought of that. They're my current client co. too
    Then you should have heard of 'Tyre Assist'.

(P.S. They're my client too. )

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Don't be a tight arse, go and buy a spare wheel

Just because the car manufacturers economise doesn't mean you have to follow suit
    WHS, but better is to negotiate the price and then tell them, before shaking hands, 'only if I get a proper spare wheel'.

Amazing how quickly a fully fledged wheel can appear out of the parts room.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Never even thought of that. They're my current client co. too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X