• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best mortgages? Where?"

Collapse

Guest replied
    it's not that I don't agree with mortgages perse,

and I guarantee, in the not too distant future, say next five years I will invest in some property using mortgages, but at the moment there is no need and I don't want to load my self with the worry of the debt

Traj you are absolutely correct about the gearing it is like spread betting instead of holding paper, you get more leverage for the same investment - but also more exposure and more risk

everything in moderation, and within the next five years, considering the capital appreciation in respective markets I would be a fool not to buy something on a mortgage

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "I have spotted a nice house I want to buy to live in. I can easily afford to buy it without taking out a mortgage. So, do I:

a) Pay for it with cash and have done with it.
    b) Take out a mortgage and end up paying significantly more than it's listed value over the next 25 years.

Clue: I went for a). "

I chose a) and b).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In the current climate you made the correct choice as the best investment was the (6% or whatever) mortage rate you would have had to pay had you taken a loan.
    Traj, it was, indeed, a no brainer.

Franco, at the very least put down a whopping deposit.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "3 entries found for patrimony"

My mistake, Milan. I should have talked about assets indeed.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    lucifer,

In the current climate you made the correct choice as the best investment was the (6% or whatever) mortage rate you would have had to pay had you taken a loan.

A+.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have spotted a nice house I want to buy to live in. I can easily afford to buy it without taking out a mortgage.
    You b@stards just keep rubbing it in, don't you

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No pain no gain
    Okay, let's ask the jury for an independent opinion.

I have spotted a nice house I want to buy to live in. I can easily afford to buy it without taking out a mortgage. So, do I:

a) Pay for it with cash and have done with it.
    b) Take out a mortgage and end up paying significantly more than it's listed value over the next 25 years.

Clue: I went for a).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ever heard of the term "gearing" milan.

At the moment it's probably not worth getting a mortgage becuase there's not a lot around to invest in. Property heading south, shares heading, well nowhere.

If it wasn't for a huge mortgage or two in the past the "traj millions" would not be in existance today.

And no I don't have a mortgage now on any of my properties.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "but I am very content to have no mortgage and no debt beyond"

No pain no gain

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    3 entries found for patrimony.
    pat·ri·mo·ny ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ptr-mn)
    n. pl. pat·ri·mo·nies

An inheritance from a father or other ancestor.
    An inheritance or legacy; heritage.
    An endowment or estate belonging to an institution, especially a church.

that's where you're wrong Franco,

whatever I have achieved is made from my own work thanks.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You have married my wife, and I claim my fiver.
    Do you want her back?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    feck's sake Franco,

the nail in the coffin to endless bliss as a permy....

a mortgage !

next you'll be buying your car on the never never too

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    no debt beyond whatever Mrs Lucifer has spent on her cards this month
    You have married my wife, and I claim my fiver.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Always good to have a mixture of own and borrowed capital
    Each to his own, Franco, but I am very content to have no mortgage and no debt beyond whatever Mrs Lucifer has spent on her cards this month, and feel no real need to acquire any borrowed capital.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "pack in the permie job and get a contract. You won't need a mortgage then"

Always good to have a mixture of own and borrowed capital. Otherwise, you lose on the potential revenues. Only someone with small business acumen like Milan would only count on his own patrimony.

I am a a contractor in a long-term contract, pls. *

*Although it makes you feel strange that someone is rating you. I guess you are supposed to be better to rate someone. Therefore, we should have contractors rating permies but that would never happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X